Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2018, 05:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20/4

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have no lens hood for my K20 / 4 (for K1), 58mm thread.
The original is called PH-S58, but Ebay has many to choose from, can this fit?
58mm RUBBER LENS HOOD WIDE ANGLE UNIVERSAL Screw Mount By Kood - FREE UK P&P | eBay
But it looks like mine for FA28-105, maybe a knife or a bite wrench can adjust the sides?
Others on Ebay:
58mm 16:9 Wide Angle Screw Mount Video Camera Lens Hood White Balance Cap | eBay
58mm Thread Mount Metal Wide Angle Lens Hood For Canon 750D 760D 450D 700D 400D | eBay
It's strange that the sellers on Ebay do not tell us the angle of image or focal length for them.

01-02-2018, 06:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The rubber hoods screw into the front of the lens. They also have an inner thread so you can add circular filters. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I got one for my SMC da 35mm and it is OK, although it does flare away from the lens quite sharply. I don't think anything universal is ever perfect, but they are cheap and better than nothing.
01-02-2018, 07:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, any 58mm screw in type lens hood will work, like the first and third one that you linked.

With 20mm on a K1, the hood will be very short to avoid vignetting. I generally prefer the rubber type...
General Brand 58mm Screw-In Rubber Wide Angle Lens Hood NP11158

...but found they often tear off the ring over time, so you may want to go with a metal one instead.
Sensei PRO 58mm Wide Angle Aluminum Lens Hood LHM-W58 B&H Photo

A petal shaped one is ideal...
Sensei 58mm Screw-on Tulip Lens Hood LHSC-58 B&H Photo Video
...but I found the generic ones that are screwed in are problematic in keeping them in the correct position (as bayonet type lens hoods excel in this regard). This particular one in the link even warns for (above 20mm on FF).

I'd suggest going with the round metal screw in type.
01-02-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what its worth, I feel rigid hoods provide the best protection from say scuffs or other damage. i picked up a used screw on vivitar ultra wide hood for $5 at a local shop. It's about the same size / configuration as a saucer. With the risk of vignette, I doubt you'll be stacking filters on top of a screw in hood with a 20mm.

01-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I donīt have K 20 f/4 but a K 18 f/3,5 and have problems with the right hood. According to the information , the original hood for the lens is PH-S58 , and it is the same hood that uses K 20 f/4 and K 24 f/3,5 . īFrom the reference of the hood , seems clear that itīs a square hood. After several searches on e-bay Iīve found out one beautiful metal black square rigid hood original from Asahi Pentax for Takumar 24 f/3,5 , and such lens had the same optical formula that K 24 f/3,5 . Therefore I purchased it, but have to confess that Iīm not happy with the results in the combo K-1 + K 18 f3,5 , since it vignettes . Perhaps the best solution should be the petal shapped .
01-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have pictures of the OEM hood for the K20/4 and all other "K" Series lenses, in this article I submitted to the forum:

Guide to Pentax K series lens hoods - PentaxForums.com

Even though they are harder to find the OEM Pentax hood will always be best.

Phil.
01-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was lucky to get the original hood with my K 20 when I bought it here at the forum. What a great lens!

01-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have several OEM hoods to fit the Tak (metal, with case) and K 20/4 (plastic clip on, on case) and 24/3.5 i’m Willing to part with one if you are interested.
01-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for informative posts.
I had Pentax hood (rubber) for the F70-210, I also used it on the FA50, but it's broken now (It worked in two steps (normal and tele).
I have seen it on Ebay and intend to order new.
BH photo are informative , but I have to pay customs and shipping, so Ebay is cheaper.
A petal shaped one is ideal as Alex said, but you must get it right / it may be stuck when it is in the correct position.
One in rubber or plastic works well if it is modified with a tool so that wingeting is avoided.
Thanks again.
01-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The first and third examples referenced by the OP would work fine.
The rubber one could eventually break, after many years, but it's adjustable, reusable on other objectives, and also works... as a bumper. It takes little extra room in your bag.
The rounded shape of the third one looks very elegant on a K lens, IMHO.
Though square ones, petal-shaped or not, are more efficient. If you can find a cheap chinese hood with square shape and made of metal, it would be a very convenient solution. I'm not sure you can easily find the right size (that does not vignette) on Ebay, at least not on the cheap from China.

Cheers

Paolo