Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #1

Is this a rare lens ? Komura 28mm f2.5

I can find the Komura 28mm f3.5 on the web all over but the only ones of the 28mm f2.5 seem to be on eBay in Japan. It seems to be fairly sharp. It was given to me by a friend who used to travel to Asia on business.

01-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neither seems to be in the lens DB, interestingly...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Neither seems to be in the lens DB, interestingly...
I looked at about 8-10 lens databases and found other Komura lenses but only two references to the f2.5 were old eBay sales and they sold for very little. I'm surprised because some of the other Komura/Komranon lens on eBay direct from Japan are demanding top dollar. Its a very well constructed lens thats the size of my short m42 Sigma zoom, C/Y Soligor small zoom or the kit lens that came with my Canon T6. Its hefty for a 28mm with big glass. Its going to take a lot of searching for me find any details on this one.
01-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Listed here as " KMC Komuranon 28mm f/2.5":

Sanky? K?ki - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

01-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Listed here as " KMC Komuranon 28mm f/2.5":

Sanky? K?ki - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia
Thanks, thats the lens but notice there are little details on it. It must be obscure. I need to test it against some of my other lenses to see where it falls in terms of sharpness.
01-06-2018, 04:21 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you could, please add it to our DB when you get a chance, as it seems to be a rare one!

Here's the link:

Login - Pentax Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2018, 02:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the same lens, in PK mount.
It has a beautiful slide-in rectangular hood, has very good build, and has a complex 9E/7G optical layout with a very convex front glass.
It is part of the late lineup of Komura lenses, marked Komura Mfg. Ltd KMC Komuranon.
The name of the company was changed in the late seventies, as far as I remember.
Older objectives were marked either:
Sankio Koki Komura
Sankio Kohki Komura
Sankyo Kohki

My interest for Komura lenses was sparked by the unplanned acquisition, back in the eighties, of a great objective I knew nothing about. It was the Komura f/2.8 152mm for 4x5".
I bought it on a whim, from a famous photografica/pro shop in Milano, Italy.
I was there to buy a like-new Pentax-A Star 2.8/300 mm with A 2x-L and huge Helioplan circular polarizer, and sell them a Leica M wide angle. When I saw the Komura I couldn't resist It was so visually attractive, on its large Copal No. 3 shutter, that I got derailed... and also bought a completely unnecessary Rodenstock Rotelar tele, complete with a matching rangefinder cam for my old Technika.
Later on I realized it was the only "normal" on leaf shutter for the 4x5" format with such large aperture, together with the crazy expensive Schneider Xenotar 2.8/150mm. Even the Zeiss Planar was left behind...
I also learned that Komura didn't make knock-off's like most Japanese lens makers of the time, and that Sigma and Tamron lenses of the same vintage were far worse (but cheaper!).
In the sixties Komura made a line of super fast primes for the SLR cameras of the time, small and medium format, and used three different generations of "UNI" mounts that allowed to adapt the same lens to another camera.
Komura LTM lenses were adopted by Leica users along with Canon ones, and Sankyo Kohki released the only rangefinder-coupled 200mm in M39 mount, plus their own take on the Visoflex (like Kilfitt).
They also made Tele designs for large format of very good quality, and converters for small and medium format way above average.
All this to say that Komura is part of the Japanese lens makers aristocracy, but at that time people wanted either cheap or OEM... so eventually Komura went out of business.
Those interested can find a nice early Komura catalogue on CameraEccentric.com.

BTW, I still have the A* 300mm, but I sold the Komura 152mm cause I knew I would never use it again, and it was too good a lens to become a collector's item.

Compliments to the OP,
finding a late Komura Mfg. Ltd lens in good working order without paying good money is not so common.

I have a KMC Komuranon 2.5/135mm missing the two rubber grips.
I'd like to restore it using a cheap 3D printer of a friend of mine. If anyone out there has printed focusing/diaphragm rings with mid-sized diamond patterns, I'd be very interested in getting the project file. I'm no good at 3D design!

EDIT:
Here is a magazine advertising with the 2.5/28mm specs, plus details about a Komuranon-S enlarging lens which I also happen to own...

Cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 01-11-2018 at 09:39 AM.
01-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
Wow , Thanks for all the info. I recently found a little bit more info. It looks like the lens was introduced at $190 suggested list. That's over $700 in today's dollars.
03-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #9

Hi, I'm new on this forum (though I have been here before, because there so much of useful information).
I just wanted to share that I managed to purchase this Komura Lens Mfg Ltd Komuranon 28mm f2.5 (FD mount) recently (from France).
The strange thing is that is does not show K.M.C. on the lens and no serial number. This should be engraved and filled with white paint, but it simply isn't there. Any opinion about this? Could it be a kind of early units or prototype?
Further - by sheer coincidence - I purchased another beauty: Komura Lens Mfg Ltd Komuranon KMC 24mm f2.5. I searched the internet but nothing can be found about this one. By the way this one is in Pentax mount. I tried both (with adapters) on my Samsung NX11 and the results are not bad.
Kind regards, Paul
03-21-2020, 04:40 AM   #10

Komura Komuranon KMC 24mm f2.5

Following my earlier message, I'm adding a couple of picture of the Komura 24mm lens (on my KX).
Pictures made with the Komura 28 f2.5 on my Samsung NX11.

Paul
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NX11  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NX11  Photo 
03-21-2020, 05:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pol57 Quote
Hi, I'm new on this forum (though I have been here before, because there so much of useful information).
I just wanted to share that I managed to purchase this Komura Lens Mfg Ltd Komuranon 28mm f2.5 (FD mount) recently (from France).
The strange thing is that is does not show K.M.C. on the lens and no serial number. This should be engraved and filled with white paint, but it simply isn't there. Any opinion about this? Could it be a kind of early units or prototype?
Further - by sheer coincidence - I purchased another beauty: Komura Lens Mfg Ltd Komuranon KMC 24mm f2.5. I searched the internet but nothing can be found about this one. By the way this one is in Pentax mount. I tried both (with adapters) on my Samsung NX11 and the results are not bad.
Kind regards, Paul
Good to see someone else using a Samsung body with K mount lenses. I rock the NX1 and NX100 myself. They see more use than my Pentax bodies, these days. Mirrorless just works better when doing manual focus with my prescription eyeglasses.
03-21-2020, 07:12 AM   #12

Original Poster
cool to see the old glass still being used

I've bought adapters for most of my camera bodies. Using old Pentax m42 and Y/C stuff on my Canon T6 and Pentax Q7. I had over 30 lens before the digital era and along with 7 modern lenses I now have nearly every situation covered from macro to super-tele. Thanks to everyone who shares knowledge.
04-23-2020, 03:09 AM   #13

Following my previous mails, I found a very interesting document about Komura/Komuranon lenses. It is in French, but the information is easily understandable.
In the annex you'll find a partial view of the Komuranon prime lenses (the document itself is 45 by 42 cm and printed on both sides). It is interesting to see that the 24mm f2.5 has 11 glass elements in 8 groups, impressive engineering.
Further, the folder contains information (including the lens formulas) on 50 to 150mm enlarger lenses, 200 f3.5 and 300 mm f4.5 Komuranon tele-lenses and the 38/90 f3.5 + 75/150 f4.5 + 80/210 f4.5 and 90-250mm f4.5 Komuranon zoom lenses.
After having scanned the internet for some time, this document is quite unique and therefor I wanted to share it with you.
In case someone needs data on the above lenses, just send me a message.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Komuranon KMC lenses.pdf (2.68 MB, 485 views)
12-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #14

Thank to all for the information about this line of lenses. I have the Super Komura Uni Auto 135mm f2.8. This lens is in a beautiful condition and IS SHARP and Crisp. Sharper than the Takumar 135mm f3.5 and the Nikon 135mm f2.8.
I am looking for the 28mm f2.5 and looking for some feedback as to the image quality of that lens.
12-16-2020, 09:10 PM   #15

For me it is very rare. It's the first time I've heard of that lens.

It would be nice to be able to see some pictures taken with that lens.