Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2008, 03:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Really, any focal lengths below 100mm could do landscape. Most of the time, the wider it gets, the harder to get a great landscape shot. When these landscape shots are stopped down to f8, MTF or colour or contrast are usually pretty good across the lens choices or even across the brands. The main factor to watch out is flare control and purple fringeing issue.
Conversely, shorter lengths allows longer exposures without worrying as much about camera shake. Made all the difference for me recently with my 28mm SMC-K and circular polarizer (1-2 stops under usually). Legs help get a wider or narrower field of focus too

Edit: replaced 3rd image with one showing lens at a closer focal distance of just a few feet instead of infinity.

Last edited by jamonation; 08-31-2008 at 03:34 PM.
08-31-2008, 03:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Long-Lens Landscapes - Outdoor Photographer | OutdoorPhotographer.com
09-01-2008, 01:01 AM   #18
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
... Most of the time, the wider it gets, the harder to get a great landscape shot. When these landscape shots are stopped down to f8, MTF or colour or contrast are usually pretty good across the lens choices or even across the brands. The main factor to watch out is flare control and purple fringeing issue.
agree here...
I'm finding myself zooming my 10-20 in more often than I thought I would. I think besterange really would be that of 16-45 or 16-50. For many landscapes 10 or 12 are really just too wide, and you'll end up getting too much foreground, or too much empty space into the frame. So really think carefuly here. Go through you pics and see what focal length you are using most, and shop accordingly...

Last edited by axl; 09-01-2008 at 01:07 AM.
09-01-2008, 01:41 AM   #19
Inactive Account

I love my DA 35/2.8 Limited Macro for every kind of photos I take. But sometimes it could be a littler wider and I'd love to have DA 21/3.2 Limited.

09-01-2008, 02:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Any focal length could be used for landscapes Go see what focal lengths you need then decide on the lens
09-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Sigma 24-135mm and to be honest, I think it does a pretty good job of landscapes while having a nice zoom on it too. I know you can't really buy this lens new anymore and it seemed to be hit and miss for some people. But it has given me sharp images and it's 84.1 viewing angle at 24mm is pretty wide to me to catch those landscape shots. But what it really comes down to is playing around with the lens you have and seeing what you are really interested in getting in your pictures. Are you going for a wide panoramic shot or are you just trying to capture the scenery any way you can.