Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

Would you return this lens?

About a week ago I bought the new 55-300 PLM lens, and love it so far. This morning, I happened to look through the front of the lens and noticed a dark speck. I thought perhaps it was dust in the camera, but swapped lenses and the speck was not visible.

It's only visible when I look through the front of the lens. I see nothing through the viewfinder. I've taken a couple test shots of a blank white wall and can see no spots in the images.

I'll attach below a shot taken with another camera through the front of this lens while mounted on camera. You can see the fleck of something that I'm talking about. I'll also attach a shot of blank white wall.

So if it has no impact on the images one takes, would this worry you enough to return the lens? It's still well within the 30 day return window at B&H.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
01-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
personally I would return it

it isn't what you agreed to buy

it has some sort of defect

I can't say what it is but what if it is something that might continue, you get over time more " specks "

and if you decide to sell it, you should disclose it to potential buyers who might decide not to buy it.

YMMV
01-06-2018, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Try diagnosing it further. Specks like this often don't leave a mark in photos, but under certain conditions, they might. If its new and within warranty, I would have it swapped out for another copy (which I would inspect in store to make sure it doesn't have a similar speck or other issues).

The speck might be an indicator that something inside (barrel coating, seals, who knows) might be flaking or peeling. This could get worse over time. And if you decide to sell the lens, it will have a lower value than without the speck. Some specks are to be expected if you buy old used lenses, but not with brand new ones.

Reviewers seem to like that lens, so I hope you get it sorted out. Good luck
01-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Try diagnosing it further. Specks like this often don't leave a mark in photos, but under certain conditions, they might.
agree! it will return to haunt you. I've had little dust bits (much less noticeable than that) show up in the wide open bokeh circles or when stopped way down. good luck!

01-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you can get a free exchange, I'd just go for it. Doesn't hurt

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I had the same sort of foreign object floating around in a new 50-135.

Returned it, but by the time it had been jostled about by the courier en route to the Pentax service agent, when examined by them it was nowhere to be seen!

I made the point that as if was that easy to move around, who could say if it would or wouldn't end up jamming a moving part inside the lens, or exit the lens into the camera body?

They changed it.

I would advise you to do the same.
01-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Similar incident reported about Fuji MF lens
Concerns with Quality of Fujifilm GF Lenses

01-06-2018, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
bxf
Veteran Member

I have one lens with what looks like a dead mite or some sort of animal inside. I say it's dead because it hasn't moved in years

Have a close look with a magnifying glass at your speck. It may be a live one, and if so, may decide one day to exit.
01-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Brand new lens? Definitely return it because that's much larger than a "speck".
01-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would return that copy without hesitation. That thing inside may have little effect on your images, or only under fairly extreme conditions, but it may make its existence felt as an imperfection in bokeh balls or as a cause of weird ghosting.

And besides, you paid for a conscientiously manufactured and quality-controlled precision instrument, so why would you put up with it?
01-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

New lens with visible "stuff" inside? Most reputable dealers will replace from stock, no questions asked. I would not hesitate to send/take it back to where it was purchased.

Steve
01-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the very decisive replies. Very helpful.

Lens will go back to B&H tomorrow.
01-07-2018, 04:42 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anselesn Quote
Thank you all for the very decisive replies. Very helpful.

Lens will go back to B&H tomorrow.
please let us know how it goes if you don't mind
01-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Aslyfox....B&H customer service were their typically friendly and helpful selves. I explained the issue with the lens, and they took it back for a full refund without any additional questions. It's a great store (of course, the lens was still within the 30 day return period....so that helped!).

Thanks again, all....your advice was helpful.
01-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anselesn Quote
Aslyfox....B&H customer service were their typically friendly and helpful selves. I explained the issue with the lens, and they took it back for a full refund without any additional questions. It's a great store (of course, the lens was still within the 30 day return period....so that helped!).

Thanks again, all....your advice was helpful.
As expected