Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2018, 03:37 AM - 3 Likes   #16

Original Poster
This seems to be my lucky Pentax weekend.

Over a cooked breaks and my in-laws I have been talking with my father-in-law about cameras and the SP500. He told me to hang on whilst he popped into the loft. He's just brought down a Pentax MX body which he has just gifted to me.

Wow, what I nice looking camera. It is in pretty good condition, light seals an issue again but not surprising. The shutter speed dial seems a little stiff, but the shutter action is nice and the VF looks nice and clean. Not sure about the light meter, but as I said before I use a hand held meter so I don't care about that.

Ah, just looked on the forum, it's a K Mount lens system so not compatible with the lenses I got for the SP500. Guess I'll have to keep my eye out for a nice 50mm and 35mm/28mm K Mount lens :-).

Maybe keep the SP500 for B&W and the MX for Colour, any excuse to keep film cameras :-)

---------- Post added 01-07-18 at 03:53 AM ----------

OK, I need to get off this forum right now otherwise it is going to cost me a fortune :-)

I have just ordered a Pentax SMC 50mm 1.4 for the MX and I need to stop now before I find a 28mm or 35mm

01-07-2018, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
okay

I'm going to try to be helpful again

M42 converter to K mount

The right type of M42-to-K-mount adaptor - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Pentax Mount Adapter K (M42 Adapter) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

\How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - Page 21 - PentaxForums.com

I hope I am submitting good and useful info this time
01-07-2018, 04:40 AM   #18

Original Poster
No, No, this is really helpful thank you. If I can get an adaptor to try the lenses on both bodies then that would be a useful option. I am also considering an M42 & K adaptor for my Digital Fuji, just to have some fun and have a play.
01-07-2018, 04:42 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should you succumb to the temptation of getting a Pentax digital SLR, you will find both the M42 mount and K mount lenses can be used, albeit you will need a M42 to K adapter as pointed out by Aslyfox and make sure you have read up on using these lenses on digital. Green button metering, A/M switches etc. There is a lot to learn but you may find digital is good too!

01-07-2018, 04:44 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Matt_Dodwell_UK Quote
No, No, this is really helpful thank you. If I can get an adaptor to try the lenses on both bodies then that would be a useful option. I am also considering an M42 & K adaptor for my Digital Fuji, just to have some fun and have a play.
I am glad I have made up for my earlier " OOPS "

I have never tried one but I have read that some off brand ones ( cheaper of course ) can cause problems and jam

be careful in your choice of equipment
01-07-2018, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
I've had another look at the Takumar 55mm 1.8 and as recommended I opened up the blades and looked through the lens on to a piece of white paper.

From what I can tell the white paper still looks white. It's not 100% white as I am looking through multiple layers of glass, but there doesn't seem to be any yellow cast on the paper.

So it seems that the yellow I see on the lens when I tilt it, i.e. change my viewing angle could just be part of the lenses itself.

I might stick it under the lamp recommend just in case.

---------- Post added 01-07-18 at 05:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Should you succumb to the temptation of getting a Pentax digital SLR, you will find both the M42 mount and K mount lenses can be used, albeit you will need a M42 to K adapter as pointed out by Aslyfox and make sure you have read up on using these lenses on digital. Green button metering, A/M switches etc. There is a lot to learn but you may find digital is good too!
I have absolutely no knowledge on Pentax Digital Cameras. To be honest and quite ashamedly I've listened to the cameras snobs who have dismissed Pentax Digital.

I think I will get an adaptor to put them on my Fuji X-T1 in the first instance though. Might be fun to see the result of using vintage lenses on it.

---------- Post added 01-07-18 at 06:11 AM ----------

Looks like I need to find some lens hood now :-)
01-07-2018, 07:15 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have absolutely no knowledge on Pentax Digital Cameras. To be honest and quite ashamedly I've listened to the cameras snobs who have dismissed Pentax Digital.
You will find the same here

01-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is what I am wondering. I've looked at that lamp on IKEA and I can get it in the UK. It looks really small and not a UV, but for £10 it's worth a go. How close to the lenses will I need to place the bulb? Would it need to be facing into the rear or front elements do you recommend? Or would I need to do both?
I chose the cheap route.......the sun. Most days over the past 4-5 months I have placed my SMC Takumar 50 1.4 in a south-facing window for as long as the sun is at the right angle.
The before and after difference is amazing. I'm in no hurry, but I may have reached the point of diminishing returns.
01-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
I chose the cheap route.......the sun. Most days over the past 4-5 months I have placed my SMC Takumar 50 1.4 in a south-facing window for as long as the sun is at the right angle.
The before and after difference is amazing. I'm in no hurry, but I may have reached the point of diminishing returns.
I think the light would be the better option, we lack a vital ingredient here in the UK, the sun :-)
01-07-2018, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

How close to the lenses will I need to place the bulb? Would it need to be facing into the rear or front elements do you recommend? Or would I need to do both?
Put the lamp head close up (almost touching) against the rear of the lens. The discolored (radioactive) element is second from the back if my memory serves me correctly. Place aluminum foil over the lens front to reflect the light back through the lens. The lenses I have done this with cleared in 24-36 hours.

The role of UV wavelengths in the process is not clear. Theory is that the so-called radiation-induced "color centers" are disrupted by intense (high energy) light. According to sources I have read, high heat will also work, but might not be a good idea even for elements removed from the lens. Coloring glass or gemstones with radiation is a common practice in industry despite its curiosity aspect with camera optics. Google "glass radiation color centers" for articles.

Steve
01-07-2018, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Fun

One of the advantages of M/L is adapting...

Also checkout Speedbooster/Focal reducer adapters,they will give the Takys a 1.1x crop and gain you a stop of light.What you do is get a ebay M42 to Canon EF ring adapter then a Canon to Fuji SB/FR(mitakon Zhonghi is a good one).

The result is your 4 Takys now have 8 focal lengths, now buy that in native Fuji glass and see what it costs!
01-07-2018, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Put the lamp head close up (almost touching) against the rear of the lens. The discolored (radioactive) element is second from the back if my memory serves me correctly. Place aluminum foil over the lens front to reflect the light back through the lens. The lenses I have done this with cleared in 24-36 hours.
I agree with Steve (in fact, it may have been Steve that helped me with this previously)... After 24 hours I saw a noticeable difference, after 36 a bit more, and I think I accepted the progress made as "enough" after that.

A nice plus is that the IKEA lamp also makes an excellent work light when servicing cameras and lenses, or anything else small and fiddly. It has become my work light of choice, actually. Bright, bendy and stable
01-09-2018, 03:51 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I've checked over the 135mm 2.5 and yes that is the lens, it is the latest version the 6 blade, 6 group version with the 43812 product code on the manual/auto switch.
02-01-2018, 07:06 AM   #29

Original Poster
The SMC 55mm 1.8 is currently wrapped in foil (front glass exposed to the window light) sitting on my window ledge hoping for some sun.

I can't face going to Ikea just yet to get the lamp and at £35 for delivery of a £10 lamp, it will have to wait until I am passing.