Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #16
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Least we all forget, that the humble 50mm does in most cases have zoom capabilities.

They are called legs and these can be used for very fine zoom control, in both directions

08-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Has anyone tried a Raynox W/A adaptor on the 50mm? A .66x would take it back to true 50mm on a cropped sensor camera? A .50x would make it even wider. I wonder how the use of a Ranox would affect the light sensitivity issue?
Sort of defeats the purpose of having fast glass with the best resolution. After the Raynox you'd be better off with a zoom.

The Pentax 35's are excellent lenses and should be sold as the normal prime. If they managed to put out a 28 again that would be even better.
08-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
bingo. I would love Pentax to go back to shipping 50mm primes as a kit lens but it just wouldn't fly with today's entry level buyers. hell a majority likely don't even know what a prime is.
Have you ever handed someone your DSLR with a manual focus prime mounted and watched as they whip the focus ring about in total befuddlement wondering why it doesn't zoom?

Then you tell them it's a manual focus prime and they look at you with pity like all the time you were talking the only thing that came out of your mouth was "Daddy lost his job and I got this shirt from Goodwill."
08-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
Knowing how the fast 50 is probably one of the best bang for the buck of all the Pentax lenses...why doesn't Pentax bundle it with their camera's? With the increased lens volume produced, they could probably include the lens with an overall cost to the bundle of only $100.00, further differentiate themselves from the competition, and as a result force some of the less knowledgable Pentax dealers to realize just how fantastic the lens is? (Only issue I could see is the focal length conflict with the kit lens, which is not insurmountable...)
Because zoom lenses sell cameras.

08-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Instead of one kit, Pentax could offer more than 1 kit...
K200 + 18-55 lens
+18-55 + 50-200 lenses
+FA35 (closest to 50mm with crop factor)

For the K20, I'd bump up the kit choices. Of course, I'd still keep the 18-55II as the least expensive kit choice, but then I would add the following if somebody wants an upgrade to the traditional kit lens:
K20 + DA17-70
+ DA17-70 and 55-300 lenses.
+ either DA35 macro or DA40

I know that Nikon, Sony, and Olympus offer more than one choice of kits in for some of their models--why not Pentax?

Just my 2¢...
Heather
08-31-2008, 05:18 AM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
also back in the film days, a 50mm had a widely usable field of viwe

on a digital camera, a 50's field of view is.. limiting to say the least.

plus 18-50/55 is a very convinient FOV range for most people. Id say 60% of my shots are done in that range

that would only be true if the 50mm was FF. if it used a 'reduced image circle' like the DA 18-55 then it would offer the same FOV, unless im missing something here?
08-31-2008, 12:14 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that would only be true if the 50mm was FF. if it used a 'reduced image circle' like the DA 18-55 then it would offer the same FOV, unless im missing something here?
You are missing everything. A 50mm lens is always a 50mm lens and will always provide the same FOV on a given camera regardless of whether the lens uses a "reduced image circle" or not.
08-31-2008, 12:17 PM   #23
Forum Member

Sad to say it, but in retrospect, it seems only logical that any kit lens offered with a camera would be a zoom lens. Most people purchasing a camera AND a kit lens at the same time are just getting into the hobby, or else are switching from other camera brands. And unless they did their research beforehand, they likely have no idea about the relative quality differences between the kit lens and the alternative lenses.

I've had my K10D since November and it is the first SLR (digital, or otherwise) that I've ever owned. But before I decided upon purchasing it I had perused this and other forums (both Pentax and otherwise) for well over a year to try and get an idea of what was out there.

So, having done my research prior to pulling the trigger, I had concluded early-on that that the kit lens would not meet my needs. I had also concluded that while everyone raved about their primes, these prime lenses weren't exactly "cheap" and several of them would be required just to equal the focal range offered by the kit zoom. In the end and based on reviews of alternative lenses I had instead opted for a Sigma 18-125mm as my first lens and a Sigma 70-300mm DG APO as my second lens. Both being zoom lenses, of course.

It wasn't until the purchase of my third lens, a Pentax 50mm 1.4, that I had finally entered the "world of primes." Now, of course, finally having my first fast prime lens this made me become aware of the various limitations of my other two lenses in terms of speed and sharpness. It soon became apparent to me that while I prefered the convenience of a zoom lens I also needed something zoomable, while at the same time also FAST and reasonably sharp. So my forth lens purchase ended up being the DA* 16-50mm. Of course, my 16-50mm cost me probably $500 more than what the kit lens of essentially the same focal length range would have cost me.

I feel that most newbies getting their first camera just can't justify getting a lens which, on the surface, "appears similar" but at 6 times the cost. Also, take into account the fact that a lot of people don't live near any "dedicated" camera stores and instead likely make their purchases at store chains such as Best Buy and Circuit City. Now, I don't have to tell any of you that neither chain offers what I'd consider to be a "jaw-dropping" selection of lenses. Compound to that the fact that the 17-something salesperson working there likely doesn't know "jack" about either the cameras, or their accessories.

Bottom line... I think that the majority (not all, of course, just the majority) of the people who are becoming first-time Pentax SLR owners are the types who will simply walk into a store and buy one on impulse... likely after having compared the prices of the Pentax units with the prices of the Nikons and Canons sitting beside them. They will likely have done little or no research and will not have the aid of a knowledgable sales person to help them with their purchase. Pentax and the other camera manufactures know this, which is why they offer only seemingly "do-it-all" zoom lenses as the kit options.

Personally, I think it would be nice if they would offer something like a $100 disount coupon for anyone who decides to forgo the kit lenses in favor of higher-end Pentax lenses. But I think we all know that will likely never happen...

08-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #24

Here is interesting link for 50 mm lovers

Pentax K fit 50mm's Photo Gallery by steve flynn at pbase.com
08-31-2008, 02:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Then you tell them it's a manual focus prime and they look at you with pity like all the time you were talking the only thing that came out of your mouth was "Daddy lost his job and I got this shirt from Goodwill."
Oh that got a good rofl outta me, sums up the situation perfectly Just hope to keep it that way a little longer so I can complete my Takumar collection on the cheap. Have to decide between the FA50mm and Takumar 50mm, likely the former, but the latter sure is a beautiful lens too.