Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Everyone loves the 50! Then why...???

Knowing how the fast 50 is probably one of the best bang for the buck of all the Pentax lenses...why doesn't Pentax bundle it with their camera's? With the increased lens volume produced, they could probably include the lens with an overall cost to the bundle of only $100.00, further differentiate themselves from the competition, and as a result force some of the less knowledgable Pentax dealers to realize just how fantastic the lens is? (Only issue I could see is the focal length conflict with the kit lens, which is not insurmountable...)

08-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

cuz people who don't know what they're doing won't accept a prime lens.
and because price is such a big factor in the low end market
08-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteQuote:
bingo. I would love Pentax to go back to shipping 50mm primes as a kit lens but it just wouldn't fly with today's entry level buyers. hell a majority likely don't even know what a prime is.
08-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
and because price is such a big factor in the low end market
It's a compelling idea, though. People moving up from a point & shoot would maybe be wondering why they'd want to use a lens that doesn't 'zoom', but then once they start trying it, see the benefits of DOF control, the great IQ, etc, they'll really like it. The FA 50 was the third lens I bought after the two kits that came with my body package, and the FA 50 is responsible for me getting to really like digital photography.

08-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not everyone wants a 50mm lens when they are starting with dSLRs. A midrange zoom like the 18-55 is far more useful for most people.

When even cheap superzoom compact cameras have 3-4x zoom lenses, none of the brands can get away with a prime bundled with the body.

Remember, the enthusiasts on this board (and others like it) are the very tiniest minority of buyers. Most people won't ever have more than 1-2 lenses.
08-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

also back in the film days, a 50mm had a widely usable field of viwe

on a digital camera, a 50's field of view is.. limiting to say the least.

plus 18-50/55 is a very convinient FOV range for most people. Id say 60% of my shots are done in that range
08-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
also back in the film days, a 50mm had a widely usable field of viwe

on a digital camera, a 50's field of view is.. limiting to say the least.

plus 18-50/55 is a very convinient FOV range for most people. Id say 60% of my shots are done in that range
That's exactly what I was thinking. I have a 50mm f/1.4 along with several other zoom lenses, but don't get to use the 50mm as much as I'd like to (actually not much at all) given that it effectively becomes 75mm on all current Pentax bodies. It's just too long for tight-quarter, living-room shots with low light (birhtday parties, family get-togethers, etc.) which would otherwise benefit from a fast lens such as this while indoors.

Don't get me wrong... when I do get to use the 50mm I am simply blown away by the image quality... but I would much rather see a 35mm prime (or maybe even something shorter) offered as a kit option... if this was ever to become reality.
08-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #8

Now when talking about kit lenses, I was just thinking that Pentax, or any other manufacturer, could give a choice of lenses that would come with camera. I mean, that you can choose ANY of their lenses, up to two lens, that you would pay less than buying it extra. So instead of 18-55/50-200 you could take K20D with 16-50/50-135, or 16-45/55-300 as double zoom kit, for a sligtlhy lower price than when buying them separately
Does that sound like a good idea?

08-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They would never offer DA* lenses as kit options. There would be no incentive to upgrade later if they did that.

The whole point of a kit option is a low priced commodity lens that is relatively cheap to manufacture. By offering a higher quality lens with a built-in discount, they would be losing money on every lens.
08-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #10

Then at least non-DA*
But that's why I said two lenses max. Or even only one in case of DA* lens. Wouldn't that actually rise the the sales of such lenses. Because they're actually not losing money in any case, since even with discount on kit lenses, we're paying them much more than it costs them to produce it...
08-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #11

When I first bought my k10d I simply wanted the standard kit lens because I knew very little about photography and didn't even know if other lenses would fit on my camera. Once I began to know the limitation of the kit lens and understood photography a bit more, I went for the superzoom Tamron, and then once I knew the limitations of that lens (especially in low light) I got the 50
08-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

For most people, a fast prime should be their *third* lens, after a general purpose zoom and a telephoto zoom. Or maybe second lens, after something like the 18-250. But whether that prime should be the 50 - which lacks quick shift and is really considerably longer than "normal" on a "cropped" sensor - or something like a 35 is another matter entirely.

So because of both those factors, I can't see why Pentax would want to bundle a 50 with the camera.
08-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Just a personal side note. When I finally moved from half frame (Pen FT) to full frame (OM 2s), I bought it with a Zuiko 50/1.8 as was the custom back then. I experienced a lack of euphoria afterwards... whished I'd bought something a bit more 'special' lens wise. Bless her, my wife said "so go get another lens!" and I did: the Tamron SP 35-80 2.8-3.8 CF... a super zoom if there ever was one, still an awesome lens today (Daughter uses it, as do I)... The lens cost as much as the camera kit.

I was happy for 15 years. I didn't even look at another lens till the late 90's when I got a second hand 85/2 Zuiko from Keh.
08-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Has anyone tried a Raynox W/A adaptor on the 50mm? A .66x would take it back to true 50mm on a cropped sensor camera? A .50x would make it even wider. I wonder how the use of a Ranox would affect the light sensitivity issue?
08-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #15

im an amatuer photographer, mostly used for vacations, family outings etc

i got the K100D and the DA 18-55mm and i just bought the DA 50-200mm Lens, so far the 50-200 has yet to impress like the 18-55 but i will give it time

heres a sample pic of what i took with the 18-55mm
Attached Images