Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Buying a Sigma 10-20mm, couple questions

Hi everybody I hope it's ok to post questions about 3rd party lenses here, I'm in need of a wide angle lense and the Sigma 10-20mm seems to be the best performing lens for the money, I have a couple questions before I decide how to go about buying one though:

1. On a Sigma lens I bought previously (Sigma 12-24mm for Canon) the consensus was that sample variation was an issue (some examples were nice and sharp while others were lousy?) and that it was unwise to buy one through mail order, sight unseen and not tested out on my camera. Is this the case with the 10-22mm for Pentax?

2. In a pinch will it mount on a Pentax 35mm film camera and will the autofocus work? I'm well aware that the corners would be cropped out on the wide end but would it still mount? If not can the rear cover plate be modified as with Canon EF-S lenses?

Guess that's really all the questions I have right now. My camera by the way is a K200D and I've posted many of the pics I've taken with it in my Flickr gallery: Flickr: tstracy39's Photostream

08-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. I wouldn't worry about sample variation. There are reports of variation, but if you go with a reputable dealer, it shouldn't be a problem to return one if needed. I bought mine through Amazon (third party seller, Adorama IIRC), and haven't had a problem.

2. It will fit and autofocus without any problems, assuming the camera has autofocus.

Edit: Gooshin has a thread with a couple examples of the 10-20 on a Super Program.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/35875-sigma-10-20-full-frame.html

Last edited by alohadave; 08-30-2008 at 11:32 AM.
08-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
Forum Member

I'd say go ahead and buy it if you have the funds. Short of not offering HSM it is otherwise a mouth-watering lens as far as I am concerned. "10-20mm.... MMmmmmmmm..... Dreamy.."
08-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go for it, it's a great lens, and you won't regret it....

08-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I got my parents to grab me one from a store in HK so i didn't get to test it until they got back. Fortunately it has exeeded my expectations with no issues (except obviously the well documented corner distortion at 10mm). Go for it!