Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
That's what I thought. So they don't have any reason to design another limited lens around the 28-30mm mark, as long as the 31 keeps selling at it's current price.

I'm just wondering then, why not a cheaper version around that same FL, for those of us who can't afford the 31? Not the OP's original wish, but I think it might sell - there's nothing modern, at a reasonable price (that's subjective, I know) between the 21mm and 35mm primes. To me, on aps-c that's a big gap. So I see where the OP is coming from.
In an earlier post I hypothesize Pentax might be able to release a very good D FA28/2.8 WR DC built to the (lower than Limited) D FA28~105 construction standard at a similar price - roughly $499. A $1,000 Limited or * lens would more likely be a 28/2.

.:

Last edited by monochrome; 01-09-2018 at 04:21 PM.
01-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #77
Pentaxian

@Gimbeley:
The EF 50mm f/1.2 L is not an equivalent for the D FA* 50mm f/1.4 because its performance in the borders is lacking. I quoted Photozone in my previous post, by the way - just so you won't have to take my word for it.
I'll quote now ephotozine:
"Although the sharpness in the centre improves dramatically as the lens is stopped down, the resolution towards the edges remains relatively low." https://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-ef-50mm-f-1-2l-usm-lens-review-16614
and

Last edited by Kunzite; 01-09-2018 at 04:21 PM.
01-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
sergeremy, did you lose part of your reply? I agree that the Sigma 28 EX is large by huge. I may still try the Pentax F 28 2.8 some point.
01-09-2018, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The FA 28mm f/2.8 (or "F") is a very good lens. I've had one since the film-only days. It is light-weight and compact. It is quite sharp even wide open. And it is of course usable for APS-C as well as FF. But to get a fast lens in a prime of this FL, the Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG shows what it takes in terms of size and weight to achieve it. I have a similar Sigma lens, but instead chose the 24mm f/1.8 because it is wider-angle, and as it has turned out, still offers some wide angle when used on my APS-C bodies, and is therefore more versatile. I don't mind the extra size and weight. To obtain a greater aperture, greater size and weight is always an expected price one pays, in addition to the added cost.

01-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #80

What I’ve missed the most in the lens line up for my APS-C bodies is the lack of a fast 35mm full frame equivalent prime. Something like Canon’s cheap and cheerful 24/2.8 STM would do the trick. I agree with others that the FA31, nice as it is, is too bulky for that sort of use, and in any case, cropped, ends up a short tele rather than a medium wide. I have stayed with Pentax for the DA and FA primes, and there’s just that gap between my DA 15 and my FA31 & FA43. I filled that gap with a Fujifilm X100 (23mm) that I’ve since lost. I admit I haven’t tried the DA 21/3.2. Slow (and not cheap at that) for a general purpose ‘reportage’ lens.
01-10-2018, 12:36 AM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
@Gimbeley:
The EF 50mm f/1.2 L is not an equivalent for the D FA* 50mm f/1.4 because its performance in the borders is lacking. I quoted Photozone in my previous post, by the way - just so you won't have to take my word for it.
I'll quote now ephotozine:
"Although the sharpness in the centre improves dramatically as the lens is stopped down, the resolution towards the edges remains relatively low." Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens Review
and
How on earth was a lens that isn't even on the market yet able to outperform anything, much less the Canon? Do you have any kind of self-awareness of how deluded you sound when you say something like that? It's one thing to have faith in a brand, but you exceeded the level of believer and became a preacher when you pushed your delusion onto me, twice now, unsolicited. No, thank you. I'm interested in fact-based reality only, please!
01-10-2018, 12:49 AM   #82
Pentaxian

What did you say about being rude?
I would be deluded only if I had unreasonable expectations from this lens. But I don't. Superior optical performance is the reason why this D FA* is as large as it is, and I have no reason to believe Pentax botched the job.

01-10-2018, 01:31 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
sergeremy, did you lose part of your reply?
I don't think so - the end of my post just runs into the following quote from you...

And yes, the F28 2.8 may be what we are looking for.
01-10-2018, 01:41 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The FA 28mm f/2.8 (or "F") is a very good lens. I've had one since the film-only days. It is light-weight and compact. It is quite sharp even wide open. And it is of course usable for APS-C as well
This may be the answer, then (except, perhaps, for people who would not be willing to buy "old" glass).

Is it still available new?
01-10-2018, 02:07 AM   #85
Pentaxian

It was discontinued ages ago, I'm afraid.
01-10-2018, 03:45 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They're not the same optical design, either, and I'm not sure why Pentax did that. But yeah, production ended about 14 years ago, with the FA 28.
01-10-2018, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbeley Quote
How on earth was a lens that isn't even on the market yet able to outperform anything, much less the Canon? Do you have any kind of self-awareness of how deluded you sound when you say something like that? It's one thing to have faith in a brand, but you exceeded the level of believer and became a preacher when you pushed your delusion onto me, twice now, unsolicited. No, thank you. I'm interested in fact-based reality only, please!
For what it's worth, I think the point of the DFA *50 is to produce edge to edge sharpness from f1.4 on. Will it succeed? I have no idea. The early reports are good and the photos that have been posted are very nice, but obviously at this point we don't know. That sort of lens is going to be expensive and big.

The Canon 50mm f1.2, for all of its f1.2 aperture doesn't perform as well as more modern 50s like the Sigma and the Zeiss Milvus. Will the Pentax DFA *50 achieve this sort of performance? I really don't know, but clearly that is the goal based on what we know so far. You may not be interested in that sort of lens, but there are still an awful lot of 50-ish mm lenses in the catalog that are smaller and need to be stopped down a bit to get maximum performance.

I've not been sure why the DFA * lenses have become such a polarizing issue for people. Not every lens that Pentax makes is one I am interested in. I don't shoot much longer glass at all, but it doesn't bother me that they spend time to design and manufacture it either. The same is true of these lenses.
01-10-2018, 05:27 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It was discontinued ages ago, I'm afraid.
So, they still have that gap (a compact 28ish, f2.8, moderately priced, new). I can wait, while they work on "bigger" things, and hunt down an F or FA in the meantime to see how it fares compared to the all-manual M28 3.5 (which I like).
01-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
...I've not been sure why the DFA * lenses have become such a polarizing issue for people. Not every lens that Pentax makes is one I am interested in. I don't shoot much longer glass at all, but it doesn't bother me that they spend time to design and manufacture it either. The same is true of these lenses...
It's polarizing because of the relatively long time between lens releases. Some Pentaxians perceive the new 50 and 85 as adding delay to release of other lenses that are arguably(*) higher priority.

(*) K-1, for example, only has a single lens in production wider than 24mm. There's still no hint of an ultrawide prime or compact wide zoom suitable for full frame.

Different photographers have different needs, and Ricoh has a tough balancing act setting priorities.
01-10-2018, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It's polarizing because of the relatively long time between lens releases. Some Pentaxians perceive the new 50 and 85 as adding delay to release of other lenses that are arguably(*) higher priority.

(*) K-1, for example, only has a single lens in production wider than 24mm. There's still no hint of an ultrawide prime or compact wide zoom suitable for full frame.

Different photographers have different needs, and Ricoh has a tough balancing act setting priorities.
My thing is that I see Pentax as having excellent lenses already, they are just adding a tier on top of that existing excellent lineage.

You have lenses like the DA *55...

FA 31

and yes, even the FA 77

The idea that Pentax should go out deliberately create worse lenses than they already have just doesn't work for me. You have cheap lenses like the DA 35 and DA 50 and mid tier lenses as well.

To me, the only issue is the slow release schedule, but hopefully some of that is fixed as we see actual new glass coming out this year.