Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #1

K / M / A Lenses - what is the difference (Pentax Newbie)

What is the difference between M / K / A lenses?

Sorry if it is a dumb question, but I've only just come to Pentax this weekend gone. I am a complete Pentax newbie.

Are they all able to mount to K Mount Film Cameras?

Are there optical or build quality differences?

01-08-2018, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One place to start would be this page, which explains the various K-Mount series of lenses.

Basically, K / M / A lenses predates the autofocus era. Neverteheless, these lenses can be used (with a few exceptions) on any Pentax K-Mount camera, be that manual focus film camera, autofocus film camera, or digital camera.

A few A lenses saw the use of plastic parts and are perhaps less durable. Optically there are no general differences. Refer our lens database for user reviews.
01-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
One place to start would be this page, which explains the various K-Mount series of lenses.

Basically, K / M / A lenses predates the autofocus era. Neverteheless, these lenses can be used (with a few exceptions) on any Pentax K-Mount camera, be that manual focus film camera, autofocus film camera, or digital camera.
Perfect, thank you for the link. Appreciate the assistance.
01-08-2018, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Matt_Dodwell_UK Quote

Sorry if it is a dumb question, but I've only just come to Pentax this weekend gone. I am a complete Pentax newbie.

This might be of interest as well

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/evolution-of-pentax-k-mount.html

01-08-2018, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Matt_Dodwell_UK Quote

This is another great guide:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/gear-guides/comprehensive-pentax-lens-guide.html

Reviews can be found here:
Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

K and M series lenses are fully manual (focus and aperture). A-series are manual focus but support auto aperture control on A-series film cameras and newer, as well as digital cameras. They are much easier to work with on digital. On film, all three series are fine choices.

Lens design and performance can't be generalized to just the series, so I recommend browsing the lens reviews as a starting point

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-08-2018, 10:54 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

One other thought

The earlier screw mount pentax lenses ( film era ) M-42 do exist and there are adapters to let them be placed on the K mount bodies

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-08-2018 at 11:35 AM. Reason: cleaned up language ( I hope )
01-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
see here too Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories | The K-Mount Page

01-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
One other thought

The earlier screw mount pentax lenses ( film era ) M-42 do exist and there are adapters to let them be placed on the K mount bodies
and in many ways I prefer the way they render, only kept Taks when i migrated to Fuji