Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #1

DA*16-50... Is this a good copy??? Urgent!

Hello Everyone... I've been visiting this forum, but I can't remember opening any thread... so it's my first time. My user name in the DPReview's forum is alanschamber.

Well... I really need to confirm this is a good copy of the DA*16-50. I buying from the US, where my family lives (Chicago). As my mother is coming back tomorrow from there (and my brother sent me the pictures just today) it's really urgent for me to confirm if it's a good lens, or not. So... if it's a lemon, I'll have to send it back to the US, and then send it to Pentax, and then wait, and then recieve a new copy or the same one fixed, etc... too much time.
I think it's allowed in here to link the DPReview forum, so I'll not post it here again and just link the thread I did there... and hope I get a response.

16mm, 21mm, 28mm: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=29137076

Please... and thanks for anwers...
Alan.

08-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It looks sharp enough to me @ 35mm f/2.8

If it works well wide open, at any focal length, then it's not a dud.
08-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Impossible to tell from those photos. There is no detail to compare across the field of view. The images also appear to be posturized. The left side looks very soft compared to the right, but that could be due to the lighting or how your admittedly non-photographer brother, held the camera.

Sorry but there just isn't enough information in those pictures of a white wall to tell.
08-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree with Pentaxpoke

very bad examples to try and make what is to you an important decision.

If you do get a good copy of this lens you will love it.. so the effort is worth it in asking for some further shots. If you get a bad copy it could put you off the lens for good.

Neil

08-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's still in Chicago I'd try doing a member search for anyone living in that area.
If they know their stuff they might be able to run a couple of tests for you.