Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2018, 05:48 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SIGMA ZOOM MASTER AUTO FOCUS 35mm - 70mm F/3.5 - 4.5

Does anyone have and or still use the Sigma Zoom Master Auto Focus 35mm-70mm F/3.5 - 4.5? If so how do you like it and does it work well as a short zoom portrait lens?

I recently picked a copy of the lens in bad need of TLC for $20.00 CAD at a local Pawn Shop. The lens caps were missing however the front lens was protected by a UV Filter and back lens showed no indication of scratches or other damage The zoom was jamming and you could tell that something was loose inside but when tested the auto focus seemed to work smoothly and produced a decent sharp image on a K70. The Aperture Control did work in Auto but the aperture ring didn't want to remain a specific setting

After getting it home I opened it up to find the lens very clean and dry inside and the screws that hold the aperture control linkage to the zoom assembly loose. Tightening the screws also corrected the jamming of the zoom but wasn't able to correct issue with the Aperture Ring.

Since making the aforementioned repairs and using it a couple time I'm beginning to think that my $20.00 investment might just pay off. I've been able to find info from people's experiences on the macro version of this lens but very little on this model lens other than the 3 reviews posted on this forum. So anyone willing to pass on their experiences (good & bad) with the lens would be appreciated.

01-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a copy of that lens, which I picked up on eBay last year for just under $8, including shipping. It's not my favorite lens but it's not all that bad, either. The things I like best about it are its compact size and its normal to short telephoto range on my crop digital bodies, both of which make it great for walking around purposes. I don't do very much portrait photography but I can see where it would work nicely for that purpose. For my purposes, that range can be a little frustrating as I routinely find myself wanting to go a little wider or a little longer than it will allow, so I usually leave it in the bag in favor of my Tamron 28-105 mm zoom. I have sometimes thought that if I were to sell off one of my bodies, that lens would be the logical choice to bundle with it after one of my redundant DA 18-55s.
03-06-2018, 07:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tool my 35-70 out for Outdoor shots attached to a K70 on an overcast day

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr

on Flickr HDR PP Image

on Flickr Long Exposure at F22
03-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one though I have not used it for years and not for portraits. The reason is that I was not happy with the colours it provided, they seemed a bit pale in comparison to other lenses. Might just be my copy though I also have a Sigma 24-70mm of a similar era and find the colours about the same. Not as sharp as the Pentax-F 35-70mm either.
No reason not to use it of course, it would be your opinion that would count most.
If I was to want a portrait zoom, I think having a good wide F2.8 short to 3.5 long aperture lens would be the way to go.

03-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
I have one though I have not used it for years and not for portraits. The reason is that I was not happy with the colours it provided, they seemed a bit pale in comparison to other lenses. Might just be my copy though I also have a Sigma 24-70mm of a similar era and find the colours about the same. Not as sharp as the Pentax-F 35-70mm either.
No reason not to use it of course, it would be your opinion that would count most.
If I was to want a portrait zoom, I think having a good wide F2.8 short to 3.5 long aperture lens would be the way to go.
Thanks for your response and I agree with what you said.

I do have other lenses in my bag but I though I take it out in probably the worst possible conditions, cold +3 deg. C, overcast sky and using strictly Program Mode on the camera just to see what developed
03-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Were I to take a zoom lens expecting to take a portrait, I would probably go with my Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5, it is probably one of my favourite lenses, don't mind manual focussing with it.
I like how it is sharp and the colours please me. I would not be using it on my wife without a soft focus filter but that is another story, she would not be happy with it being sharp. The extended zoom range allows for images to be taken without the subject being alarmed.
Here are a couple of images taken, one live subject, one still life and a crop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo