Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2018, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tests reveal the central area of the DA 18-135mm to have outstanding resolution throughout its zoom range and apertures, which is amazing for a huge 7.5x zoom range. Every bit as sharp as the DA 16-85mm. Its edge performance is good to very good until around 70mm where it softens gradually. But as one zooms to more tele, most of the time edge performance tends to become less important anyway. In real life use, I DO NOT usually find this to be a problem. But it wouldn't be the best choice for frame-filling subject matter especially of linear nature, when you'e looking for edge-to-edge sharpness over the longest half of the zoom range. But it is good for when you want to avoid changing lenses.

I have shot scenes with crowds of people, etc. even using a FL of about 100mm, and results appeared good enough near the edges, and very good otherwise. I was using my Pentax K-5 IIs at the time. It is really hard to beat the versatility combined with compactness. The AF seems exceptionally fast and sure. The DA 16-85mm will out-perform it marginally for edge sharpness wide open even below 70mm, but not centrally. if stopped down a little, even that difference at the edge is nil. Over 70mm the edge performance of the Da 16-85mm is certainly superior- but at this FL how often will that matter? Not often, but it depends on what you are shooting.The DA 16-85mm is a fine lens if you get a good copy, but there have been more than average problems as a hit or miss gamble. I have seen a number of posters here who have bought new ones from B&H but had to send their copy back for a replacement. Some more than once. But this is for when there was a de-centering problem or something causing the lens to perform poorly which was detectable right away. For a problem that emerges after time, then it becomes a warranty issue. B&H also has an extended warranty available, I believe.

I suggest taking a look on the posted photos here under the thread: DA 18-135 WR, show us what it can do. There are lots of examples. It will give you an idea as to its capability of meeting your needs. If I am looking for the last bit of quality and want a zoom lens, especially with my high-res KP, I go with my DA 20-40mm Limited. I also supplement it with the DA 15mm LTD, and either the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 or a compact tele prime like the FA 77mm f/1.8 LTD. The DA* 50-135mm zoom also has WR, and is very useful in low lighting. It is a great lens.

But if I need more range and/or want to avoid changing lenses, I don't hesitate to use my DA 18-135mm. To give you better perspective, it actually is better at 50mm than the expensive DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 in both the edges and central at f/4.5, which is wide open for the DA 18-135mm.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-16-2018 at 05:33 PM.
01-16-2018, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

I bought a used 16-85 in like new minus condition from KEH. It was about $100 more than the cost to repair my DA 17-70 (SDM failure) would have been. I figured the newer lens with a better autofocus motor would be a better investment of the extra $100 USD. I have been using mine extensively for about 8 months now and really like it. Build quality is very good, no wobble in the barrel and the zoom and focus rings turn smoothly. Sharpness is as good, or better than I got with my DA 17-70 and that, I thought was a sharp zoom. I guess it all depends whether you get a good copy or not. I would hope that the majority of QC issues reported with this lens were early production. I would expect that now that the lens has been out for several years now the chances of getting a good copy have improved significantly. As others have mentioned in this thread the 18-135 and DA*16-50 are also good options.
01-16-2018, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Note that I corrected my post above- to: I DO NOT usually find this to be a problem.
01-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Note that I corrected my post above- to: I DO NOT usually find this to be a problem.
Lol I think that was how I read it the first time, maybe I just knew that was what you meant.

I have read the links you posted plus a bunch more as well. I was out today and my 16-85 was working about 75%. I could live with that but I am afraid it will fail at the most inopportune time. Although I forgot it seems like it is wet weather when the over exposing rears its ugly head. It wasn't too wet here today.

You made an interesting point that I had kind of wondered about.....all of the tests show the 18-135 is not as sharp as the 16-85 but is that real world tests or shooting a chart?

01-17-2018, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Having owned good copies of both lenses I would say the 16-85 is noticeably sharper,in my experience.
01-17-2018, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Having owned good copies of both lenses I would say the 16-85 is noticeably sharper,in my experience.
My experience is similar - 16-85 is way sharper than 18-135, but maybe my copy of the latter was a lemon
02-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jonn47 Quote
I use to hang over the side of my sailboat shooting pics of waves hitting the boat. That was with my old K10, for some reason I don't feel the newer Pentaxes are as rugged.

Btw I just bought another boat to use here in Lunenburg/Mahone Bay this summer
Should have mentioned: CS-27 Fiddler's Dream originally owned by a fiddler out of NS and sailed across to Newfoundland a couple of decades ago. Wonderful late 70's boat. Built like a tank with full 7/8" glass across every portion of the boat. Weighs almost 3 tons even though just 27' (modern standards are MUCH different in this class!). If you're in Conception Bay around Holyrood give me a PM for a day on the bay. I singlehand too much as it is and would enjoy any Pentaxian company!!!

That goes for any Pentaxianelse who might be around Holyrood in late May to early Oct, BTW. When the baitfish are in in late Jun/early Jul, the bay can be alive with whales, seals, various raptors/seabirds, sometimes even bluefin tuna...etc. Rest of the time is beautiful scenery. Perfect place for a Pentax in my opinion. If I should advertise this service elsewhere on these forums, someone should tell me where. Don't know where to advertise this appropriately as not looking for any sort of volume but just nice people. But I totally adore my shooting environment, especially when the baitfish are in. Not looking for money in the least but a flask of really good rum might not go awry!

I even got a new Magma 3 cooker that I'll be mounting this year!

Last edited by jgnfld; 02-06-2018 at 03:28 PM.
02-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote

Should have mentioned: CS-27 Fiddler's Dream originally owned by a fiddler out of NS and sailed across to Newfoundland a couple of decades ago. Wonderful late 70's boat. Built like a tank with full 7/8" glass across every portion of the boat. Weighs almost 3 tons even though just 27' (modern standards are MUCH different in this class!). If you're in Conception Bay around Holyrood give me a PM for a day on the bay. I singlehand too much as it is and would enjoy any Pentaxian company!!!

That goes for any Pentaxianelse who might be around Holyrood in late May to early Oct, BTW. When the baitfish are in in late Jun/early Jul, the bay can be alive with whales, seals, various raptors/seabirds, sometimes even bluefin tuna...etc. Rest of the time is beautiful scenery. Perfect place for a Pentax in my opinion. If I should advertise this service elsewhere on these forums, someone should tell me where. Don't know where to advertise this appropriately as not looking for any sort of volume but just nice people. But I totally adore my shooting environment, especially when the baitfish are in. Not looking for money in the least but a flask of really good rum might not go awry!

I even got a new Magma 3 cooker that I'll be mounting this year!
Hey Jgnfld, wow I would love to get out sailing in NL. My grandfather was a fisherman in Glovertown so I spent a lot of time in the bays of NL. I have sailed there though. I go down from time to time to visit my dad in Eastport. No plans yet though to go down this summer. Btw if you are a rum drinker you might find this interesting. The Picton Castle is a Barque out of Lunenburg and is soon leaving for another around the world tour, Ironworks Distillery has teamed up with them to send a few barrels of black rum with her....We're gearing up for another 'spirited'... - Ironworks Distillery | Facebook
02-07-2018, 04:52 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jonn47 Quote
Hey Jgnfld, wow I would love to get out sailing in NL. My grandfather was a fisherman in Glovertown so I spent a lot of time in the bays of NL. I have sailed there though. I go down from time to time to visit my dad in Eastport. No plans yet though to go down this summer. Btw if you are a rum drinker you might find this interesting. The Picton Castle is a Barque out of Lunenburg and is soon leaving for another around the world tour, Ironworks Distillery has teamed up with them to send a few barrels of black rum with her....We're gearing up for another 'spirited'... - Ironworks Distillery | Facebook
Bonavista Bay has far more interesting places than Conception Bay. Have only been over to Trinity Bay, personally.