Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2018, 05:07 AM   #1

DA* 50-135 loose focus ring

Hey folks, looks like my troubles with new gear continues...

I've just received brand new 50-135 and it has loose focus ring. This loosness feel is more noticable to the one end of infinity than another. When I rotate the focus ring and then rotate it to opposite direction, the inside ring in the focus window catches up in 0.25-0.30mm and in that zone when it's more noticable I can hear a clacking sound if I rotate it fast enough. Other than that, focusing works well both in MF and AF but it's somehow annoys me and forces me to think do I have to send it back?

01-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
Lev

Original Poster
nobody?
01-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Hey folks, looks like my troubles with new gear continues...

I've just received brand new 50-135 and it has loose focus ring. This loosness feel is more noticable to the one end of infinity than another. When I rotate the focus ring and then rotate it to opposite direction, the inside ring in the focus window catches up in 0.25-0.30mm and in that zone when it's more noticable I can hear a clacking sound if I rotate it fast enough. Other than that, focusing works well both in MF and AF but it's somehow annoys me and forces me to think do I have to send it back?
If there are any weird sounds coming from a new lens, I would definitely exchange it. The focusing is supposed to be smooth and consistent.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

nobody?
Bit eager, aren't you ? Not everyone is either awake / on line at this time of day. That said, if I got it, I would certainly get it investigated - when you say new, do you mean brand new from a dealer, or just new to you ?

01-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
Lev

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Bit eager, aren't you ? Not everyone is either awake / on line at this time of day. That said, if I got it, I would certainly get it investigated - when you say new, do you mean brand new from a dealer, or just new to you ?
man I don't want to be rude or something, not that kind of guy and I didn't know my last single question could hurt someone but if you think this is somehow negative post then my apologies personally to you

---------- Post added 01-14-18 at 01:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If there are any weird sounds coming from a new lens, I would definitely exchange it. The focusing is supposed to be smooth and consistent.
No Adam, it's not a weird sound, I think this sound is coming from gears when they engage. Focusing itself is very smooth in both directions. I'm just concerned about this "dead zone" between rotations, how much is normal and should it be there at all?
01-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No Adam, it's not a weird sound, I think this sound is coming from gears when they engage. Focusing itself is very smooth in both directions. I'm just concerned about this "dead zone" between rotations, how much is normal and should it be there at all?
I don't have a 50-135mm any more so I can't test it, but I don't recall there being any slack in the focus ring. The only thing is that if you turn it past infinity or minimum, it should just sit there and do nothing. Can you post a video maybe?

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #7
Lev

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
past infinity or minimum, it should just sit there and do nothing
not a problem, it stays there, ok I'll prepare and post a video
01-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
Lev

Original Poster
here's video:

sorry for background!

01-15-2018, 03:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

man I don't want to be rude or something, not that kind of guy and I didn't know my last single question could hurt someone but if you think this is somehow negative post then my apologies personally to you
@Lev - sorry if you took my comment the wrong way, it was meant to be a gentle humorous aside, not a criticism of a negative post. Part of the trouble with just text - no context ! No offence intended, no offence taken. Good luck with getting it fixed / replaced.
01-15-2018, 04:13 AM   #10
Lev

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
@Lev - sorry if you took my comment the wrong way, it was meant to be a gentle humorous aside, not a criticism of a negative post. Part of the trouble with just text - no context ! No offence intended, no offence taken. Good luck with getting it fixed / replaced.
It's absolutely ok!

So you're in those people who thinks that it should be replaced?
01-15-2018, 04:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

It's absolutely ok!

So you're in those people who thinks that it should be replaced?
I can see no reason why not - unless purchased at a discount with any problems clearly indicated, it should work as specified. It appears that yours does not.
01-15-2018, 04:25 AM   #12
Lev

Original Poster
yes but how do I know that I'll get another copy with same effect? besides, it takes almost a month to send it back and get replacement, pay additional fee for transportation etc etc.... If I know for sure that it is a defect I'll send it back right now but I'm not sure
01-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #13
Forum Member

yes but how do I know that I'll get another copy with same effect? besides, it takes almost a month to send it back and get replacement, pay additional fee for transportation etc etc.... If I know for sure that it is a defect I'll send it back right now but I'm not sure
My 50-135 is many years old. It is similar to yours. It makes the same noises and has a little bit of play before the clutch engages. It is hard to tell, but I think mine might have slightly less play than yours.
01-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #14
Lev

Original Poster
thanks, ok well, looks like I'm not alone but can somebody tell if this is normal and within specifications of the lens?
01-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

here's video:
It also looks normal to me.

Adam