Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Miranda autofocus 75-200mm f4.5 Rarity and Value?

Hi Folks,

Am I right in thinking that a Miranda lens with built in standalone autofocus are a pretty rare curiosity ? The one I have my eye on is a 75-200mm Macro f4.5 in PK mount. It looks like the old vivitar 'in lens , standalone autofocus ' systems .

I'm guessing they're not worth a lot, but if one fell into my hands, does anyone have a clue what such an oddity be worth to a collector?

I really don't need another lens, but it looks intriguing.

Cheers,

Ian.

01-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The most valuable items are extremely rare versions of extremely famous name brands. A rare version of an uncommon brand might be worth something or it might be worth nothing.

With any kind of collectible the key issue is supply versus demand.

If Miranda collectors are rarer than Miranda lenses, the lens might be worth little. On the other hand, all it takes is two wealthy Miranda lovers to bid the lens into the stratosphere.

You might check eBay for recent Miranda lens auctions to gauge the prices.

Good luck and enjoy the lens even if you can't turn a profit on it.
01-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The most valuable items are extremely rare versions of extremely famous name brands. A rare version of an uncommon brand might be worth something or it might be worth nothing.

With any kind of collectible the key issue is supply versus demand.

If Miranda collectors are rarer than Miranda lenses, the lens might be worth little. On the other hand, all it takes is two wealthy Miranda lovers to bid the lens into the stratosphere.

You might check eBay for recent Miranda lens auctions to gauge the prices.

Good luck and enjoy the lens even if you can't turn a profit on it.
Interestingly, the entire internet seems unaware of the existence of this lens.

I'm guessing Miranda enthusiasts are more rare still though

01-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My bet is that this lens isn't a great performer, it's quite slow, it has pretty much nothing remarkable.

To answer your question : rarity and value ? i'd say none.

01-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is remarkable because it contains a standalone autofocus system. That doesn't
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
My bet is that this lens isn't a great performer, it's quite slow, it has pretty much nothing remarkable.

To answer your question : rarity and value ? i'd say none.
It is remarkable because I think it contains a standalone autofocus system which sounds like a historical curiosity.
That doesn't necessarily equate to valuable or useful though

01-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #6

I only have a comment--interesting-- had no idea they were around long enough to have auto lenses. Miranda was my first SLR bought used back in the 1970's , all manual back then, it had a removable pentaprism with attachable viewfinder-- my second camera was a Pentax MX And I have been been a Pentax supporter ever since 🙂
01-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

In the UK, "Miranda" was a house brand for the Dixons retail chain - and pretty much all of the lenses were generally deemed as "poor" at the very best,
OTOH, original "genuine" Miranda stuff was considered to be "reasonable"

01-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wozasam Quote
had no idea they were around long enough to have auto lenses.
As noted above, Miranda Camera Company ceased making cameras in 1978 and as far as I know, were never a lens manufacturer. Prior to 1978, the Miranda name was only used for lenses in the Miranda mount or M42 lenses intended to be bundled with Miranda M42 cameras. The name, however, has been attached to various cameras, lenses and accessories in the years since. The lens in the original post on this thread is most assuredly a third-party consumer zoom probably intended to be matched to one of the 1980s-vintage Cosina-made "Miranda" K-mount bodies. What sets it apart is the possibility of autonomous autofocus, probably similar to early autonomous AF lenses from Ricoh and Chinon. I have never seen such in a zoom lens. Edit: Well, now I have. I just did a search for "vivitar 75-200mm auto-focus" (the lens mentioned in the OP) and came up with plenty of stuff including a back section ad from 1993 Pop Photo listing it in various mounts for $119 USD.

Value would be difficult to assess unless there is collector interest.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-16-2018 at 05:38 PM.
01-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As noted above, Miranda Camera Company ceased making cameras in 1978 and as far as I know, were never a lens manufacturer. Prior to 1978, the Miranda name was only used for lenses in the Miranda mount or M42 lenses intended to be bundled with Miranda M42 cameras. The name, however, has been attached to various cameras, lenses and accessories in the years since. The lens in the original post on this thread is most assuredly a third-party consumer zoom probably intended to be matched to one of the 1980s-vintage Cosina-made "Miranda" K-mount bodies. What sets it apart is the possibility of autonomous autofocus, probably similar to early autonomous AF lenses from Ricoh and Chinon. I have never seen such in a zoom lens.

Value would be difficult to assess unless there is collector interest.

Steve
Seller doesn't want to ship it, and I don't fancy it enough to drive for 2 hours each way, so we may never know more

Looks wise - It looks a bit like the old Vivitar 75-200 autofocus that does show up in a google search. I may be wrong about it being autonomous but it looks crazy big for normal autofocus and specifies its for Pentax K Mount , not PKA.

01-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian.morgan Quote
It looks a bit like the old Vivitar 75-200 autofocus that does show up in a google search
Cool...I have never seen or heard of the Vivitar before just googling. It must use a pellix mirror for the AF.

Steve
01-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Seller doesn't want to ship it, and I don't fancy it enough to drive for 2 hours each way, so we may never know more
Is this the lens?

Miranda zoom lens | in Send, Surrey | Gumtree

Steve
01-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Indeed

01-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #13

Hi Folks,

Am I right in thinking that a Miranda lens with built in standalone autofocus are a pretty rare curiosity ? The one I have my eye on is a 75-200mm Macro f4.5 in PK mount. It looks like the old vivitar 'in lens , standalone autofocus ' systems .

I'm guessing they're not worth a lot, but if one fell into my hands, does anyone have a clue what such an oddity be worth to a collector?

I really don't need another lens, but it looks intriguing.

Cheers,

Ian.
Picked up this very lens from the same lady after seeing this post when sarching for info paid the same lady 10GBP so thought i would upload some photos

cropped image

Last edited by Craig P; 01-22-2018 at 11:24 AM.
01-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #14

photos attached

not sure why the links did not work
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
01-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Congratulations on your purchase . Was I right that it does autonomous auto-focussing then?

You can't go wrong for a tenner really