Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2018, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
The DA10-17 is a lens full of comprises. It is not a lens to use every day. This a lens to have fun with. There are many negatives to the 10-17. It fringes like crazy in high contrast situations, even stopped down. The corners are never sharp. It needs to be stopped down to get decent IQ. I shoot mine regularly at f11. On the plus side, fringing is easy to remove in post. Newer DSLR'S can handle higher ISO's so stopping down is not so much an issue. The lens is so small it easily fits in the camera bag. From 13-17mm the images easily defish if composed correctly.

My advice is:
Stop down to at least f8, preferably f11.
Pay attention to composition, fisheyes and UWA's are unforgiving for poor composition.
Use a tripod if you can, especially for landscapes. It really does help.
When shooting below 13mm, use Live View and manual focus for best results.
Stop the lens down, yes I typed it twice. You really need to do it.
]

Funny you post those, because I was browsing through Flickr photos for this lens yesterday I kept coming across yours (including some you just posted) and thinking to myself "this guy really knows how to use this lens".

That mortar/pestle and the beach scene definitely show the lens is capable of more than I'm getting out of it.

My thoughts are similar to everyone else here, which is why I haven't sold it already. Yes, I could probably get a better dedicated prime fisheye, but the whole point of this lens is versatility - as both a creative effect FE closer to 10mm and as a defishable UWA closer to 17mm. I don't think it'd use an 8mm fish eye enough to justify carrying it around. But what I am wondering is if I'd get more use out the 12-24 as a hiking/nature walk around. Based on the great pics posted here though, I'll keep at it with this thing for now. I'll stop down further and pay better attention to nailing exposure.

01-16-2018, 09:25 AM - 4 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I enjoy my 10-17, and I pair it w/ a 16-85 to make a great travel combo with my K-3. As others have noted, it has it limitations (soft edges, fringing), but it is so versatile. That is so small makes it all the easier to bring along. It also encourages me to be more creative. The OP complained about its performance in midday, but I can't complain, and it is capable of some decent sunbursts.

01-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spectacular image of the Karacasu Roman theatre, Mark! Makes me want to explore that extraordinary site. And even in this harsh light, the DA10-17 is doing remarkably well, I think.
01-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Spectacular image of the Karacasu Roman theatre, Mark! Makes me want to explore that extraordinary site. And even in this harsh light, the DA10-17 is doing remarkably well, I think.
Thanks! I'm impressed you recognized the Aphrodisias site! That's the kind of pic you couldn't get without the 10-17 FE at 10mm. I do have the 8mm Rokinon fisheye which is also fabulous, but it's rather large, so it doesn't travel much.

01-16-2018, 01:07 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
I'm impressed you recognized the Aphrodisias site!

Uhm, actually I didn't - I looked at the location info accompanying the image on your Flickr page. Which kinda sparked my interest and made me do a quick Google search. The place must be utterly amazing, and not crammed with tourists as so many others. Given the current political climate between Germany and Turkey, I don't see myself travelling there anytime soon, but from what I can see, the treasures of the Aphrodisias site would definitely warrant a day trip! And you bet that I would bring the DA10-17, along with some other lenses.
01-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
WOW!!!! Are those at 17mm straight out of the camera or did you do some minor de-fishing? My k30 has gone away to have it's aperture block fixed. I can't wait to try this lens on a working body :0) (my experiences were on one that was on its way out). I often visit old cities. The last was Rome, next it's Seville. I bought the 10-17 to take with my 18-135. I can't wait to see what it makes of the inside of a cathedral. Fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing :0)
01-16-2018, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
WOW!!!! Are those at 17mm straight out of the camera or did you do some minor de-fishing? My k30 has gone away to have it's aperture block fixed. I can't wait to try this lens on a working body :0) (my experiences were on one that was on its way out). I often visit old cities. The last was Rome, next it's Seville. I bought the 10-17 to take with my 18-135. I can't wait to see what it makes of the inside of a cathedral. Fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing :0)
There's very little FE effect at 17mm. It's already going away by 12mm. It's nearly a normal wide angle at 17mm. I typically don't even bother correcting after 13mm unless I'm shooting something with obviously sharp, straight lines (like a building).

01-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
WOW!!!! Are those at 17mm straight out of the camera or did you do some minor de-fishing? ... I bought the 10-17 to take with my 18-135. I can't wait to see what it makes of the inside of a cathedral. Fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing :0)
If you're referring to my pics, the one of the lighthouse was corrected simply using "Enable Profile Corrections" in Lightroom. As you can see on the pic, I had to aim up just a bit, and that created some distortion. If I had been higher and able to shoot level, I might not have needed any. The pic of the Lincoln Memorial also was corrected this way, and I mainly did it because of the straight lines of the steps. (It would have not been very distracting if I had not corrected.) I often do not have to apply correction from 14mm-17mm for landscapes where there are not straight lines as long as I get the horizon level.
01-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have been so preoccupied with my poorly K30, I never really looked at the pictures I took on it’s last outing. I had two lenses and, as the photos were so under exposed I just ditched them. Having now revisited I am even happier with the lens. The old Saxon church in the picture was taken at 17mm f10. It has had the exposure brightened but nothing else done to it. It was a bright enough morning but you would have thought it was dusk looking at the pictures. My K30 is off to Pentax for some love. For a relative beginner like me, threads like this are inspirational, particularly ones that contain such stunning images. Thanks for showing us what these lenses can do in the hands of those who know what they are doing
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I have owned a copy of both the DA 10-17mm and the Rokinon 8mm FE - I've used both in the Single In Challenge; I've since sold the Rokinon 8mm and still have the DA 10-17mm.

The Rokinon 8mm is great lens, especially for the price - I just didn't care for the built-in limitations when compared to the DA 10-17mm. The DA 10-17mm is just soooo much more versatile and useful. Amazing color rendition, build quality, clarity, and near-macro close-focusing ability are all part and parcel of the DA 10-17...

In strong daylight, the DA 10-17 will fringe and flare - so you have to be mindful of that; the corners are not going to be sharp... but if you wanted better, you should be looking at a solid prime, such as the DA 14/2.8, not a specialty lens such as the DA 10-17...

some of my favorites from the DA 10-17:

as mentioned previously, stop down - this is critical with this lens to avoid loss of contrast...

watch your composition, especially if you are below 14mm, as that's where you'll find the most distortion (it is an FE)

have fun with it - I've never expected the DA 10-17mm to replace any of my prime lenses
I chose to buy the 8mm from aPF memeber, love that lens, especially at night shots, but I would buy the 10-17mm with little hesitation if the price was right, it is a great little lens from FE to UWA, and renders well. Yes, stopping down is a must . Great shots from so many of you!
01-18-2018, 01:49 AM - 4 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Easily one of my favorite lenses.

Last edited by Ikarus; 01-18-2018 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Typo