Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2008, 06:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
As for my lens tempations, I'm thinking about eventually replacing my manual focus lenses with a Sigma 105 macro and either the FA50/1.4 or DA55/1.4, depending on it's price. MF can sometimes drive me crazy. In the meantime, I will continue to see what I can do with the MF lenses, as I'm interested in discovering whether or not I'll change my mind and keep one or both of them. The other lens temptation is a fast telezoom--either one of the shorter choices (DA*50-135 or Sigma 50-150/2.8) or the Tamron 70-200/2.8; again, I'll be curious as to what I wind up deciding after Dec. 31st.

As for other gear, the only other real temptations I have right now are getting the Lightroom 2.0 upgrade and a better flash. I also want to upgrade my body, I'm leaning towards waiting until after PMA to see what Pentax announces there. On the subject of PMA, it will be March 3-5 in Las Vegas--my husband would like to go to Las Vegas...hmmm....
PMA - The Worldwide Community of Imaging Associations Home Page

Not counting the TC I just bought, it's not been quite a month since I bought my last lens.

If I don't buy anything at all between now and the end of the year, I will simply stash that OT money in my ING Direct Orange Savings account and watch the balance grow, as this account actually pays interest.

On the subject of money, I read though Hin's photo.net postings and I like the idea of putting a little bit of money away each week that we don't buy anything. For this particular challenge, that would mean 17.5 weeks x whatever amount you choose to put away. At $10 per week, this would mean $175 towards a new body, lens, or other desired gear. Just think, most of us don't even blink at the idea of spending $10 on lunch.

Bart, if Pentax can't get that K10D fixed, then by all means, buy a K20. It wouldn't do you any good not to have a body at all, would it?

If not today, than most certainly tomorrow, I will be posting the official rules in a separate posting.

Heather

08-31-2008, 06:46 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I think we should have a moratorium on using the term "LBA."
08-31-2008, 11:49 AM   #18
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
I'm with you, Heather.......as soon as I pick up the DA*50-135 and (maybe) the FA35. I need the zoom, but don't really need the FA35. That's more of a want that I can probably live without. Anyway, looking at your sig, you shouldn't want any more lenses. Your lens kit looks pretty good.

I think your wife is going to be a big help on this Alan.
08-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
... Therefore, I am not planning on buying any more lenses this year and spending that time really getting to know the ones I have.
That's what I was thinking straight after my last purchase... but those damned gremlins in my head thought otherwise.

No they weren't lenses; but other totally useless crap which I shouldn't have spent money on. (like a tablet, memory cards and other completely unrelated items).

So... money flies out the window regardless. Better spend it on something with some resale value (like them lenses!)

08-31-2008, 01:08 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think the whole point is to restrain oneself from "too good to pass up" deals
But, but...

It's good that our thrift stores don't really have anything worthwhile, at least in this sense. Although St. Vinny's had a $5 Leica I couldn't leave all alone

I think I'm in for this. I have my RF, I have my K mount SLR, 2 M42s, and that Leica P&S. The only lens I want is a Zeiss 20mm, but I'm not tempted to buy at the moment.

This would let me focus on getting 2 things I want: new bag and tripod (like $400 together ). And my turntable needs a new stylus ($40), plus I can keep buying records

See, it's all positive
08-31-2008, 01:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On the suggestion of Monochrome, I've put the starter thread in the Mini-Challenges and Games section, which will have the details:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games/35970-lba-challenge...tml#post331067

I didn't think about it before, but thank you for bringing the marriage thing up--if this challenge helps improve marriages, then that's icing on the cake I told my husband about this and he is absolutely 100% supportive of my efforts.

If there's anything that you really want, you'd better order it before midnight tonight!

Heather
08-31-2008, 03:46 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I'll be with you guys........in spirit.

I'd love to get in on this, but there's no way I'm going to sell enough stuff to buy 50-135 by the end of the day. I'll start my own moratorium a few days later. If you'd given us a little more notice, I probably could've pulled it off.
08-31-2008, 06:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I am one of those people that have bought and sold and bought lens I dont really think that we should be critical of this aspect of our hobby. I dont see anything wrong with getting a lens and using if for a while to see if it fits what you are looking for and then if it doesn't reselling it. I admit to some degree of LBA but I also have not had to put anything on a credit card I dont need a lens that bad all of my have been cash transactions. I think if I dont have the cash at the time then I wait or I sell an unused lens its not worth going into debt for. I could say that I already have my own moratorium its knows as the power of the wallet

08-31-2008, 08:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I am one of those people that have bought and sold and bought lens I dont really think that we should be critical of this aspect of our hobby. I dont see anything wrong with getting a lens and using if for a while to see if it fits what you are looking for and then if it doesn't reselling it. I admit to some degree of LBA but I also have not had to put anything on a credit card I dont need a lens that bad all of my have been cash transactions. I think if I dont have the cash at the time then I wait or I sell an unused lens its not worth going into debt for. I could say that I already have my own moratorium its knows as the power of the wallet

Good post Gokenin

I have purchased a few lenses over the last couple of months as I have just got back into slr's and new to DSLR's. All my purchases have been cash, though most were made with c/c to enable internet transactions. I have saved a lot of money by buying online and from the USA. I clear my c/c of debt right after the purchases, so for me I am paying for waht I can afford.

I am an ex smoker ex drinker .. not into cars or other expensive hobbies so I enjoy immensely my photography and I think I have been wise so far with my lens choices.. all being pentax and all good lenses that I am putting to use daily.

For those who are having problems and being effected by LBA this is a great site for support especially with Heather and her thread.

Well done Pentax Forums ... a great place to be

Neil
08-31-2008, 09:19 PM   #25

I'm with you.... I really need to settle down.

There are two lenses I still really, really want. A macro lens and a long tele-zoom (60-250).

But... I... must... resist....

I was only just thinking about this myself then at lunch time. Walking around thinking... "you know I really should start to work more with what I have rather than long after more lenses" :-)
09-01-2008, 05:21 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would eventually like to upgrade the 2 MF lenses to AF lenses, but I'm holding off for right now, so it's not that I will never buy another lens again. Depending on how things go, I might decide on a faster telezoom, as well.

In the meantime, I'm anxious to see what I can get out of what I already have.

Heather
10-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Update

Well. the thread seems to have died, and so has the related post-up thread, so here is an update.

I haven't purchased ANYTHING.

I've sold two lenses (Without really trying).

I've taken about 300 shots with the 55~300 of lacrosse, but I ahven't posted many.

I haven't used many other lenses, so I guess I'll have a major sale of equipment in January unless something changes. 20 unused lenses is way too many, even if they are good glass (not the REALLY good glass, just the good glass).
10-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Heather, didn't you buy a new k20d recently? I guess it doesn't count because it isn't a new lens? Bet you got a deal you couldn't resist didn't you? I did too, and couldn't hold out any longer. I've been impressed so far with the k20d.
10-29-2008, 11:57 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I got some filters (for my film cams)...

Got a WORKING Yashica and sold the other...

Got the Vivitar UWS trendy cam...

Lots of film...

But nothing else
10-30-2008, 07:01 AM   #30
Site Supporter

I just keep waiting for Kramer to walk in and slam $100 onto the counter and state, "I'm out!"