Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I confess...

Yes, I'm impressed with the K20 and it was an excellent deal, considering that it came with a couple extra Pentax-branded batteries, to boot.

I'm a little bit embarassed to admit this, though, but I did get a 16-45 to replace the 12-24. I probably would've held off on it, but I've got a couple of trips planned between now and the end of the year, so I wanted to make sure that I had something wide. I've also got a bid in on an F35-70 on Fleabay that'll come down on Saturday; the main reason I want one of these is to go on the K200 for carrying around in the purse--other than my 2 primes, the rest of the lenses are too big to be carried around on an everyday basis. Even though I sold my 100 macro, I will hold off on getting the Sigma 105 until after the new year, though--I promise!

OK, I've confessed--if you want to go ahead and cyber-pelt me.

Needless to say, in this almost 2 months, I've learned a lot about how I shoot, the capabilities of my lenses, and where I need to go, kitwise.

Heather

10-31-2008, 07:22 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got a k20d myself and am wrestling the devil on whether or not to sell my K200D. The little devil on my left shoulder is winning.
11-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I hear you. But there are just two more lenses that I need to buy.

(That phrase is like replying maņana when asked when something will be fixed.)

Richard
11-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am terribly sorry, but I can't stop. I need some more lenses now !

Is there a therapy for this illness ? Or is it hopeless ?

Good luck to you !

03-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Net decline 27 items sold; 7 lenses to go

Now we're down to the hard stuff - letting go of any of these will really hurt - but it is still too much for what little photography I actually do.

Best lesson - withdraw funds from the PayPal account ASAP after a sale - cash in the account is too tempting

Self LBA Challenge - Post 12 images here from each lens and each body (1/2 roll) by June 30.

Pending Sale:
5 lenses
1 ballhead
5 OEM hoods
20+ filters
8 accessories

Current list:
12 lenses (-16 / +2)
1 DA
2 FA
1 A
4 K
2 SMC Tak
1 Vivitar Series 1
1 Tamron SP Macro

1 Accessory (-6 / +1)
1 Pentax Extension Tube

5 bodies (-5 / +1)
Spotmatic F
KX
MESuper x2
K10D

Technically, I didn't keep the pledge - I bought four items, but not before 12/31. None of these purchases was for more than the cash in my wallet at the time of purchase - and I don't carry a lot of cash.

I bought an Optio A40 and a spare battery and a LowePro case to go with it on impulse to "have a camera in my briefcase at all times" - typical compulsive behavior. Also bought 4 2Gb cards on sale while I was there - cost me 1/2 a 43 Ltd. to get this average P&S.

Looks bling, though, all pretty and black. First time out another person said, "Oh, that's a nice camera." Not sure what that means, but I said, "Thank you." </sarcasm>

I bought a Spotmatic F because the price was just too good and my S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 needed a better home than the M42 adapter could give it.

I bought a Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 52B, with extension tube and hood, because I've never had an Adaptall-2 lens. If I don't use it the price was such that I can easily sell it and recoup the cost (not likely - this is one awesome lens).

Not sure this counts, but I bought a replacement MESuper because I thought my original MESuper was terminal - Eric fixed it in 30 minutes . I think I will give the new one to one of my children along with an orphaned M50/1.7 that wouldn't sell at any price. Looking at that lens today, I can't understand what the problem was - must be fate.

I am tempted to sell everything but the KX, 35/3.5, 55~300 and the Tamron, and when I have sold everything, to start over with just the KX, K10D and Grip, the three keepers and the FA Limiteds. Anything I can't shoot with those lenses I don't need to shoot. The buy side is just about $2,400. Not sure I could quite get there on the sell side in this economy - My Pentax Equipment List

Last edited by monochrome; 03-01-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Punted MZ-S and kept KX and 35/3.5
03-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Simple is good.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I am tempted to sell everything but the 55~300 and the Tamron, and when I have sold everything, to start over with just an MZ-S, the K10D and Grip, the two keepers and the 31 and 43 FA Limiteds. Anything I can't shoot with those lenses I don't need to shoot. The buy side is just about $2,300 including an ebay MZ-S and Grip. Not sure I could quite get there on the sell side in this economy - My Pentax Equipment List
If you think that will work for you, then go for it! Unless you just don't shoot wide at all on digital, then the only other suggestion in the way of lenses I would make is to get something wider than the 31 on digital--perhaps something inexpensive like the kit lens or a 16-45 since the digital body will be the only thing you'll be using it on. As for your gear in general, don't keep what you don't love--sell the stuff that you aren't in love with and put the cash towards what you do love.

Right now, my kit consists of 2 bodies, 5 lenses, 1 TC, and a flash. It looks like I'll be selling my K200 to a friend of mine later on this year, as her husband has been wanting a DSLR, has seen and held my K200 and really likes it. As to what to replace it with when it does sell, I haven't made up my mind yet as to what to do, but here are some options that've been swimming around in my head:

1. Pick up a K2000/KM, as I've been wanting something smaller, anyhow.
2. Since the second body is more for everyday/backup purposes, conserve my money and get a DS or DS2--it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the more modern bodies, but it's still a good camera. Take remainder of money and put towards a W60 p&s for the cruise I hope to go on next year.
3. Pick up an old film body like the MX or Super Program + a 28; with that I'll have 28 + 43 + 100 lenses that will work with it. Get a W60 for when I need both digital and small.

Since the friend probably won't be able to actually buy the K200 off of me until at least sometime in the summer, I don't need to make a decision anytime soon, thank goodness.

Heather
03-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Simple is good.

If you think that will work for you, then go for it! Unless you just don't shoot wide at all on digital, then the only other suggestion in the way of lenses I would make is to get something wider than the 31 on digital--perhaps something inexpensive like the kit lens or a 16-45 since the digital body will be the only thing you'll be using it on. As for your gear in general, don't keep what you don't love--sell the stuff that you aren't in love with and put the cash towards what you do love.
Hi Heather - seems like not many of us followed through with this idea.

1) I don't shoot wide now, so . . . I would use the 31 on the KX if I had to shoot wide. Scan to CD, etc.

2) I've already gotten rid of the easy lenses, and one or two of the hard ones (K50/1.2, K24/2.8). Now I will really have to decide what to do.

03-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I kept up with it Didn't buy a single lens till the end of January...and actually, that was a trade plus I got cash.

Until I can afford a DA 16-50, I'm not buying a lens for more than $100. And I have one lens to sell ($50?), one TC ($10), one bag ($50), and one Canon lens ($80)...then I'm all clear till I get a decent tripod

The local deals are so much more hard to resist though...
03-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #39
m8o
Veteran Member

Heather, not to fear. It's possible. It's been two whole months since I bought a lens...
03-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hi Heather - seems like not many of us followed through with this idea.

1) I don't shoot wide now, so . . . I would use the 31 on the KX if I had to shoot wide. Scan to CD, etc.

2) I've already gotten rid of the easy lenses, and one or two of the hard ones (K50/1.2, K24/2.8). Now I will really have to decide what to do.
I am proud of all you who can manage LBA. I get myself down from 30+ to 12 lens at one time and it has slowly going back up to 23 now. On the camera bodies, I cut all film bodies and down to one K20d only.

Whatever you do, don't cut those lens that you have the best pictures in the past. Consider those hard-to-find but infrequently used items a special treat that you don't count towards your lens list. But that is how I fool myself in keeping many lens

If you find lens easy to get rid off, that is the likely the right thing that you do in the cutting. But if you find yourself agonizing over a lens in selling, that is likely going to haunt you after sale when you see pictures from others produced by the very same lens. If you have to sell those hard ones, check if you have something as a better replacement.

Last edited by hinman; 03-02-2009 at 10:55 AM.