Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mission Impossible?: LBA moratorium

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

After reading this post and the DPReview post mentioned in this post (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/35787-practice...sible-lba.html), I really think that I need to take a break from buying lenses for a while. Therefore, I am not planning on buying any more lenses this year and spending that time really getting to know the ones I have.

If anybody cares to join me, that would be wonderful, as we could be our own little support group--safety in numbers. We can hold each other accountable in cases where someone's fingers are tempted to click the "place order", "bid now", or "buy it now" buttons.

While this doesn't apply to me, I suspect that there are some of you LBAers out that need to get rid of lenses, as opposed to buying more. Earlier tonight, I responded to a posting where the OP asked whether he should buy a much-desired lens or some useful camera accessories. While I won't mention any names, this person already has 19 lenses, plus a TC. For those of you in this boat, you can put the proceeds from your lens sales away from safekeeping. You might be surprised at how much you might be able to accumulate.

For those of you who wish to join me, I'm curious to find out your experiences as you actually use the lenses that you already have. I'll be happy to share mine, as well.

Note--This does not apply to other camera gear, like bodies, tripods, bags, etc.--just lenses.

I can't help but wonder if some of you are going to get together privately and place bets on whether or not I can do this. Starting January 1, 2009, all losers may deposit their money to my Paypal account.

LBAers--come to your senses and accept my challenge!

Heather

08-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have too many lenses really to play with ... but I am like you ... I really need to get and use what I have ... and understand my lenses more.

I am looking at doing a week/fortnight with just one lens ... and see what I come up with during that time ... and then repeat using a different lens ... ehll I might do it for a month per lens (with the amount of time I actually get to use my camera gear.)

Although I did have to buy accessories to go with some lenses (I was lacking in filters and the like and needed to get some) ... but for now ... I don't feel the need to buy lenses ... I just need to get myself a sling bag (and I have a $100 voucher to use for that anyway).
08-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm with you, Heather.......as soon as I pick up the DA*50-135 and (maybe) the FA35. I need the zoom, but don't really need the FA35. That's more of a want that I can probably live without. Anyway, looking at your sig, you shouldn't want any more lenses. Your lens kit looks pretty good.
08-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
I'm with you, Heather.......as soon as I pick up the DA*50-135 and (maybe) the FA35. I need the zoom, but don't really need the FA35. That's more of a want that I can probably live without. Anyway, looking at your sig, you shouldn't want any more lenses. Your lens kit looks pretty good.

If you get the 50-135, though, that's kinda cheating, since that's like getting 5 good primes at once.

Heather, you have an excellent kit, and I commend you for this choice of abstinence. I shall live vicariously through you in this endeavor.

08-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One Day at a Time Challenge Club

Heather: PM HinMan and ask how the last LBA moratorium went. I think Hin and some folks on P-net did it from about Easter to July 1st. Most people dropped out before the end, and Hin was the referee.

Ladies' and Gentlemen's honor is fine for this kind of thing - it's really to benefit each of us anyway - an additional bet actually LESSENS the incentive to exercise self-control.

Following Mechan1k's idea, we might take this to the next level and challenge each other to post-up to our personal galleries weekly, using only the lenses we have on hand at the start of the competition. So doing, and offering each other C&C, would add a fun and learning aspect to the challenge. Maybe we could start a thread like the Clubs, too - One Day at a Time Challenge Club.

Anyway, as of this moment I am in - I just deleted my Watching List on ebay - and this

VINTAGE ZEISS IKON-CONTAFLEX CAMERA WITH TESSAR 2,8/50 - eBay (item 260280746340 end time Sep-04-08 19:30:14 PDT)

is going for $5.00!!

Last edited by monochrome; 08-30-2008 at 09:21 PM.
08-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Its a good idea Heather.

I think though some poeple might look at your kit and think its enough and this is easy for you to say, some might think its to much, others may say you need more.

Where to draw the line has a number of factors.

This idea or challenge will suit those who are pondering and wandering should I...
08-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Heather, you have an excellent kit, and I commend you for this choice of abstinence. I shall live vicariously through you in this endeavor.

Can I interest you in some fine old Pentax glass?

08-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Can I interest you in some fine old Pentax glass?

In all likelihood, yes.

08-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Following Mechan1k's idea, we might take this to the next level and challenge each other to post-up to our personal galleries weekly, using only the lenses we have on hand at the start of the competition. So doing, and offering each other C&C, would add a fun and learning aspect to the challenge. Maybe we could start a thread like the Clubs, too - [B]One Day at a Time Challenge Club.
Sounds like some great ideas! I'll be taking my gear out shooting on Monday, so I'll have some new pics to post shortly after that.

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Its a good idea Heather.

I think though some poeple might look at your kit and think its enough and this is easy for you to say, some might think its to much, others may say you need more.

Where to draw the line has a number of factors.

This idea or challenge will suit those who are pondering and wandering should I...
Everybody's different, so each person's kit should reflect that. Other people are going to have their opinions, but in the end, each person needs to be able to make an informed decision as to what would be best for them and their needs. For those who take this challenge, January 1st may roll around and they will definitely decide that there is a gap in their lens kit and will better know what they need to get to fill it. Other people may decide that their kit as it stands is sufficient, while others may realize that it's time to clean out the camera bag a little or a lot.

If you have a lot of lenses and use them all, or at least can give a good reason why you need it (other than simply getting a good deal on it), then more power to you. I suspect, though, that many people around here have more lenses than they really need to satisfy their shooting habits.

I think that periodic challenges like these are good, as they can give people an incentive to stop and consider the relationship between their shooting habits and kits; doing it in a group setting like this encourages feedback back and forth, as well as accountability. It's like AA--sure you can quit drinking on your own, but having the support and accountability of people in the same boat as you are definitely helps make it easier.

Heather
08-30-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Lets hope that we dont sell off our LBA purchased lens to new sufferers
08-31-2008, 12:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Now does this count things with fixed lenses...aka...Rangefinders?

And what about "too good to pass up" local deals, such as, say, an A 50/1.4 for $50 (true) or an M 20 for $100 (dream)?

Edit: Saw the other post in that thread...umm...I guess I don't understand going on a "binge" after the moratorium period

Last edited by ryan s; 08-31-2008 at 12:47 AM.
08-31-2008, 12:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Now does this count things with fixed lenses...aka...Rangefinders?

And what about "too good to pass up" local deals, such as, say, an A 50/1.4 for $50 (true) or an M 20 for $100 (dream)?
Your rules are your rules. We'll see what Heather posts - but I'm not going to buy anything at all - just use whatever I have, and post pictures every week.

I think the whole point is to restrain oneself from "too good to pass up" deals
08-31-2008, 01:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Too many?

I don't understand. You are talking as though it is possible to have too many lenses.
08-31-2008, 03:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Heather: PM HinMan and ask how the last LBA moratorium went. I think Hin and some folks on P-net did it from about Easter to July 1st. Most people dropped out before the end, and Hin was the referee.

Ladies' and Gentlemen's honor is fine for this kind of thing - it's really to benefit each of us anyway - an additional bet actually LESSENS the incentive to exercise self-control.

I have been out of town and log in from Taiwan airport waiting for transfer flight back home to California. I applaud at the challenge as I had raised similar challenge before among members in photo.net. It sort of work and it has both pros and cons. Few others and I manage to reach a 3 month milestone without purchase of new lens and cameras. Each of us went through a different path to get there. I recapped all photo.net from start to finish, it was a blast to finish the challenge. Though it really sucks for me towards the end, it is well worth the effort.

LBA/CBA Contest -- the Seinfield Style - Hin's Tech Corner

As for me, the first month is the most rewarding and memorable. The 2nd month is the hardest to resist and the 3rd month totally sucks with a lot of regret through temptation. And there is also the point of release and quick relapse into LBA activity right after the challenge.

In short, those challenge can work out and let you see yourself with lens need and want. The best thing for me to come out with a picture of what I want to buy next with a better plan than when I first started the challenge. Second, it help me to think, put all of my gear to good use, and help to trim all less used gear. I trimmed 14 items as a result of a 3 month challenge

Hin's Camera Gear - Hin's Tech Corner

What works well:
  • have a road map on what to buy and what to sell
  • find a buddy system to report how you do
  • force yourself to push your gear into memorable pictures
  • more photos, learning and fun instead of pure gear lusting

But I do caution that the exercise does not stop me from LBA, instead, I admit that LBA is part of the fun of the hobby. With a new lens, whether it is purchased according to plan or something ebay/marketplace deal that is hard to let go, my hobby is jazzed up a notch or two with excitement from new gear. If a piece of gear is purchased according to plan, there is little guilty feeling on my part with money spent. My road map plan does work well for me to stay on course. The exercise does give me time to clear up my mind on what I want to purchase next instead of rushing into the lens praised by others.

Hope it works for you all,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 08-31-2008 at 04:03 AM.
08-31-2008, 05:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

not really a challenge?

Heather,

I'd gladly join you on your effort but it wouldn't be quite fair: my K10d is (still) away with my 5 most used lenses to Pentax.
So, no much temptation right now to buy anything else.
Besides, I've seriously restricted my budget anyway and I don't like to break my own rules.
Other than that, count me in - even for (much) longer.
One but: if Pentax can't fix the problem with the K10D (2nd attempt), I will probably buy a replacement body. Since this is not a lens, I suppose I'm fine with your rules.

Anyway, I think you have a great idea here. Good luck!