Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #1

Pentax k 28mm f2 Rare Lens - What should i sell it for?

this is the lens i have. apparently its average price is $587 . Last I looked there was not a single copy on ebay. I'm in brazil which makes it even harder to find.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F2-Lens.html

what should i sell it for. no scratches or fungos

Last edited by visiono; 01-17-2018 at 12:24 PM.
01-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honestly that's tough. I would just do the price research on sold items on Ebay and here on the marketplace and compare condition and then compare to market conditions.

I do this research before selling any lens. I compile some average pricing on both Ebay and the Marketplace here and then decide what I am willing to take (higher or lower) and then use this to determine if I think the lens has a rational chance of sale. I then set a starting price and leave myself room if I want to bargain or I set the drop dead lowest price I can take and stick to it. Either option can work.
01-17-2018, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by visiono Quote
Yes, that is a desirable lens. The usual suggestion is to offer it at the price you hope to get and adjust price if it does not sell. Ebay completed auction results often give a good indication of value. One thing that might affect value is if you modified the lens for use on a Canon camera as was explored on a previous inquiry. Snipping the aperture actuator would seriously reduce value.

When you decide to sell, a listing here on Pentax Forums would be a good idea due to the number of enthusiasts on this site and also since offering an item to sell in a forum post is against site rules. Good luck!

Steve
01-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this is the lens i have. apparently its average price is $587 . Last I looked there was not a single copy on ebay. I'm in brazil which makes it even harder to find.
SMC Pentax 28mm F2 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

It entirely depends on the cosmetic condition of the lens and whether you have the original caps, hood and case. (assuming the optics are clean)

If the lens is close to MINT condition and you have the caps/hood/case, then you can easily get $200.00 more than one in EXC+ missing the accessories.

Phil.

01-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve watched them trade for years between $600 - $800 EX. The current market for a rare, cult lens like this is whatever you can get someone to pay. There’s one for sale on US eBay from a Japan seller at a high price.

I would buy an expensive lens like this from a trusted seller with numerous photos of the lens with caps. Case, Box etc. add value as Phil wrote above.
01-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
(newbie forum member, no sell/buy history, no verifiable proof of ownership, sketchy description, etc.)
Actually a member since 2015 with forum posts from that time regarding the lens. If it is a con, it is a rather long con. The suggestion regarding KEH is a good one, however, assuming they are willing to do an off-shore purchase.

Steve
01-17-2018, 11:54 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
honestly though.. you could've gotten 28mm F2.0 Contax MMJ version and swap the mount to PK still comes cheaper. And it's identical lens.

01-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your feedback. The lens was not modified. The only thing i did was try to make a makeshift lens hood for it by using crazy glue on the outside. It left some ugly residue , so a bit of cosmetic damage there. I have a Pentax front cap and a rear cap but no original case or anything like that. Mercadolivre.com.br is a ebay equivalent . Will take more pro fotos and post.
01-18-2018, 02:08 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Besides... Why should a buyer trust you to deliver from Brazil once you receive payment? You have no credibility (newbie forum member, no sell/buy history, no verifiable proof of ownership, sketchy description, etc.). Given the uncertainty, be prepared to sell it "wholesale", or less. I'll be very surprised to learn you could successfully close on an offer that's anywhere near its "retail" value.

Good luck... M
I somewhat disagree with this. Everyone has to start somewhere and make their first sale.

Paying with Paypal offers buyer protection, so I'm never overly worried about sketchy purchases. I also use a CC when paying via paypal, so I have double layers of protection.
01-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dude. I buy cameras and lenses on eBay all the time. I haven’t a clue who the seller is. Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, Wittenberg, Titchfield GBR, Moscow, just to name recent shipping locations. Forum member with history by PayPal doesn’t bother me if there are photos and the text is not misleading.
01-18-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Will take more pro fotos and post.
I suggest you might want to do that as a marketplace listing. Selling or promoting a sale from within the forums is not allowed. The comments above may be easily summarized:
  • The lens (Pentax-K "Hollywood" 28/2) is potentially valuable
  • I believe it is safe to assume a value of at least $500 and as high as $800
  • How valuable depends on condition and buyer desire
  • Original box and caps enhance value
Note that it may be worth less than $500 if in "good" condition or worse. The bulk of the value is as a collectible since the lens represents a rare collaboration (for the time) between Zeiss and a Japanese maker. It is also a rather unique lens.

I costs nothing to ask a high price and there is no shame in refusing to sell low.

P.S. Ignore the comment suggesting that you lack credibility as a seller.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-19-2018 at 10:22 AM.
01-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Uh... the big ugly "if"... there's always something... eh?

Help me understand... you say "... there is shame in refusing to sell low." Please clarify.
Think that was a typo and he meant "no shame"...
01-18-2018, 11:15 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photodesignch Quote
honestly though.. you could've gotten 28mm F2.0 Contax MMJ version and swap the mount to PK still comes cheaper. And it's identical lens.
Yes, optically identical. Not functionally.
If you use it wide open, or stopped down a couple of clicks, it would be practical to use in AV, but IMHO it would seriously limit its usefulness.
The green button procedure is a pain in a place where the sun rarely shines... but you get focusing at f/2 even if you shoot at f/11. Great in low light, and for accurate focusing on close range subjects. Which is the kind of photography I usually do.
The main asset of this lens is the very good IQ over the entire focus range.
I have leitaxed/T-mount/preset lenses, and I found that a preset diaphragm makes everything faster, more practical and more ergonomic.
Leitaxed lenses aren't so ergonomic, unfortunately. If I had to choose a Zeiss lens for conversion, I'd go 25mm or lower, which would be more forgiving if focusing is inaccurate.

I bought my Pentax/Zeiss 2/28mm long long time ago. Someone bought the new tiny 2/28mm (we were in full OM/Zuiko craze, small was very fashionable!) and returned the oddly shaped predecessor. I did the opposite, returning the M 3.5/28mm, and adding some cash, I could lay my hands on that strange, lanky wide angle
I never looked back, and I guess it would stay with me for very very long...
I never understood why some people were ready to pay so much to use it on APS-C, but now the K-1 has changed the scenario.
Oddly enough, I've seen the price go down a little. I'll never understand the dynamics of the market!

Cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 01-18-2018 at 11:50 PM.
01-19-2018, 06:06 AM   #14
Pentaxian

So... You plan to make an offer? Your terms and conditions?

Just curious... M
No I don't (and it has no relevance to the present discussion).
01-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Help me understand... you say "... there is shame in refusing to sell low." Please clarify.
Thanks for the heads up. I managed to drop the word "no" while I was typing. It should have read "no shame in refusing to sell low".

Steve