Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2007, 01:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens hood for Pentax 80-320?

Hey Mo or anyone else that owns the FA 80-320. I happened to come across one of these for sale, so bought it, after being recommended on this forum. It has no lens hood, and I can't see where one would fit on it, except on the filter thread but that doesn't seem right. Can a hood be fitted to this lens?

02-22-2007, 04:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Hey Mo or anyone else that owns the FA 80-320. I happened to come across one of these for sale, so bought it, after being recommended on this forum. It has no lens hood, and I can't see where one would fit on it, except on the filter thread but that doesn't seem right. Can a hood be fitted to this lens?
It does only take a hood on the filter thread, I use a generic 3-stage rubber hood. (58mm).

dave
02-22-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That works, but you can also use this dedicated Pentax hood (which is not bad at all, unlike most rubber hoods): RH-A58

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks chaps. Jeez that Pentax hood is pricey. Is there something fundamentally wrong with the rubber ones (which I've never seen).

02-22-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its just that the rubber ones are soft right so they might not stop a flailing hand or something from hitting your front element. The new hoods on ebay are looking pretty good. Like the ones from that HK vendor. Maybe you should give one of those a try!

Theres nothing really wrong. You are using the hood on telephoto so theres not much risk of vignetting. The hood is mounted in a filter like ring so you can screw it on and still be able to fit your lens cap or any other filter on it.
02-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No ebay here (they tried and failed) but I'll look around locally.
02-22-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
No ebay here (they tried and failed) but I'll look around locally.
FWIW. I tried a really cheap 3-stage rubber hood from an Hong Kong ebayer and the rubber was so soft that you couldn't really use it in 3 positions, it just flopped back to the wide position when trying to use it in the normal position.

I junked it and got a Hoya model (about 8) that worked fine in all 3 positions.
You probably wouldn't use the wide setting at all on a 80-320mm lens.
dave
02-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
roy
Inactive Account

or, hehe, you could try this
Free printable cardboard lens hoods

02-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
FWIW. I tried a really cheap 3-stage rubber hood from an Hong Kong ebayer and the rubber was so soft that you couldn't really use it in 3 positions, it just flopped back to the wide position when trying to use it in the normal position.

I junked it and got a Hoya model (about 8) that worked fine in all 3 positions.
You probably wouldn't use the wide setting at all on a 80-320mm lens.
dave
It this the auction that you are refering too?

I was thinking about it because on the photos, it looked pretty decent. Anyways, hows the shape retention of the rubber. It stays relatively circular right? Does it droop?
02-23-2007, 02:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Those printable ones are a real hoot! You'd have to colour them in black though to be more effective. But way cheaper than the real thing, I'm staggered at how expensive it is, just over $100 here.
02-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
It this the auction that you are refering too?

I was thinking about it because on the photos, it looked pretty decent. Anyways, hows the shape retention of the rubber. It stays relatively circular right? Does it droop?
Thats the very auction.... The hood did stay circular with no droop and was OK fully extended or fully retracted, but it wouldn't hold the centre-extended position (kept falling back to the wide position).

dave