Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-18-2018, 07:08 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Should I keep this Rokinon 85mm f1.4 / Are these fungus and micro-scratches?

So, I purchased a Rokinon 85mm f1.4 at what seemed like a rather good price (about $150), but I have some concerns about the condition and I'm wondering what other folks think about what I'm seeing. The front element has about half a dozen spots, each with a speck of something at the center and a little circular cloud around it. I'm trying to figure out if these could be fungus (which tends to concern me with regard to potential cross-contamination, despite admonitions from many that it's nothing to worry about ) or whether they're likely something else (and if so, what they might be). The rear element also has a spot or two that look somewhat similar (though not circular) and it appears to have a pattern of circular micro-scratches (or could they be mainly streaks of oily residue?). The micro-scratches are nearly invisible unless I use a bright flashlight to reflect off the lens surface or shine it through the lens.

I'm attaching some photos, the first four of the front element (wide shots followed by closeups), and the last three of the rear element. I'd appreciate any feedback on what folks think these marks are and whether the price I paid seems okay for a lens with these issues. (I haven't gotten to try shooting any photos with it yet.)

Thanks,
Marc

Attached Images

01-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does look suspicious. Did you try cleaning the lens? Or, are the marks on the inside? BTW, according to Eric Hendrickson, the guru of manual lens repair, you don't have to worry about cross contamination. At least that's what he told me.
01-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd return it -- at a very minimum it's received a harsh cleaning and if you ever want to sell it down the road I don't think you'll get much for it.
01-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Take a few shots with it first.

01-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the specks are probably just micro dropplet of water.

The back is clearly a lens baddly cleaned.

If you can get a real cleaning solution, and a micro fiber fabric to clean it.

If you are still concerned about the lens, send it back.
01-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fotomarc Quote
despite admonitions from many that it's nothing to worry about
I'll repeat the admonition. Fungus just doesn't work that way.

Anyway, those spots do not look like fungus to me. Water spots as someone else noted, or possibly oil. Rear looks like someone cleaned it with a gritty shirt tail.

That is not an exotic or rare lens and even though you got I good deal, if you are not comfortable with it send it back. If you keep it you will be always wondering about it.
01-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@dcshooter might be able to give an opinion and could possibly clean it.

01-18-2018, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, all, for the advice. I've decided to return this lens and look for something better.
01-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I had a lens with something like that, I suspected it was patches of coating separation, but I don't really know if I was right.