Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Lens advice: 31mm limited vs. hd 35mm f2.8 macro limited

Bismillah

I have the 35mm macro which I use on my KP almost daily. I love the lens but occasionally wish I had a faster alternative as a walk around indoor/outdoor option.

How special is the 31mm compared to the 35mm limited? What IQ distinction might I see if I get the 31mm?
Thanks.

01-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have you reviewed the " In Depth Review " yet?

Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 Limited (APS-C)

Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
01-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bismillah

Yes I have read that review thanks. The review does a great job praising the lens in comparison to lenses from 7 years ago and older, but the review doesn't compare the 31mm to the hd 35mm macro. Do you have any experience with both of these lenses?
01-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by halimj7 Quote
Bismillah

Yes I have read that review thanks. The review does a great job praising the lens in comparison to lenses from 7 years ago and older, but the review doesn't compare the 31mm to the hd 35mm macro. Do you have any experience with both of these lenses?
Sorry no

01-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Bismillah

I have the 35mm macro which I use on my KP almost daily. I love the lens but occasionally wish I had a faster alternative as a walk around indoor/outdoor option.

How special is the 31mm compared to the 35mm limited? What IQ distinction might I see if I get the 31mm?
Thanks.
The 31, for all it is held out as god's gift to photography is not significantly better than the 35/2.8 Limited. It is a stop and a bit faster, but honestly, if you have the 35, just turn your ISO up a stop.
If you need the extra stop of speed to limit depth of field, that is, of course, a different topic of conversation, and has been one of my pet peeves with Pentax since the *istD came out. Pentax, inexplicably, has never made a fast standard lens for their digital cameras, thought they are, at least, threatening to make a fast 50 for the full frame camera.
As an aside, I have the FA35/2. It's no slouch either, in practical terms is as fast as the 31, and is probably 1/4 the price.
I have experience with all three lenses.
01-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the 31 is the best wa lens that pentax makes, or has ever made, period.

i had the 35mm ltd(nothing wrong with it, nice lens on crop cameras), but wasn't using it on the k-1, and didn't need 5 macro lenses, so i sold it.

i will never sell the 31 unless pentax makes something better.
01-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both. They are very different lenses, both brilliant in their own regard.

It depends:

on whether you value the 35 Limited's macro capabilities
on whether you plan on moving up to full frame
on how much money you're willing to spend for the speed and pixie dust of the FA31

01-19-2018, 03:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Bismillah

Thanks.
Quick question. The AF on the 35 macro isn't blazing fast. Are you looking for faster - larger aperture - faster AF - or both?
01-19-2018, 03:36 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes to both but mostly IQ. Thanks.
01-19-2018, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

To answer your question, I do have experience with both, having written both lenses' reviews here

The comments I make about both lenses remain valid even if they were not reviewed at the same time. You can directly compare sharpness, bokeh, aberrations, distortion, etc.

My own opinion is that the 31 offers more beautiful images, while the 35 macro is more versatile.
01-19-2018, 06:30 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bismillah

Thanks I really value your input. How lucky I am to get your input. How does the 43 compare to the 31? Is the rendering the same? Thanks.
01-19-2018, 06:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Digitalis once did a review comparison of the 31 and Sigma 30 1.4. Personally I ;ike the 31, but not everyone was on the same page. The whole thing that comes up with the 31 is the price. Is the little bit better worth the whole lot more money?
01-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes to both but mostly IQ. Thanks.
The other option that fits both criteria and is an often overlooked lens is the FA 35 f/2. I parted with mine a few years ago when switching over to HD DA Limiteds and have regretted the decision ever since. My copy was tack sharp wide open and delivered the stunning warm colours of the FA series. The FA 35 f/2 is often referred to as the "poor man's FA 31 Limited". It's simply superb glass at a fraction of the 31 Ltd price. Check out the user reviews: SMC Pentax-FA 35mm F2 AL Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 01-19-2018 at 07:54 AM. Reason: added
01-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have both and for me both are great from an optical PoV. but they are different lenses. The FA31/1.8 ltd suits me better as an all rounder because of its slightly wider FoV. I love it, but the DA35/2.8 has a lot of functional advantages.

The DA35/2.8 Marco is better as a compact and light walk around lens, and it offers better close focus possibilities. I wouldn't call it a macro, since at 35mm you need to get really close to the subject for 1:1 macro. You can of course, but I find I rarely do (much less than with longer macro lenses). It also has Quick Shift Focus, and it accomodates filters more easily (the built-in hood of the FA31 is a nuisance for filters).

The 1.5 stops extra wide aperture of the FA31/1.8 do allow for a more narrow DoF, although the sightly longer FL and being able to get closer with the DA35/2.8 may achieve similar DoF. All depends of the perspective you're looking for I suppose.

For all the love I always had for the FA31/1.8 (I gladly replaced my FA35/2 by this), I find myself increasingly using the DA35/2.8 macro instead. Part of this is also the fact that the addition of the DA20-40 limited to my collection, means I'm using my fixed FL limiteds much less. The close focus capabilities of the DA35/2.8 means it offers more added value than the other limiteds, so that's the one I most easily motivated to change to...

I realize this is very personal...

hth, Wim
01-19-2018, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
The FA31 has massively glaring weaknesses on a FF camera and displays significant curvature distortion past the 1/3 boxes of the frame on both sides.
You have already posted this elsewhere, but let me address it again here.

The FA31 actually has quite low distortion - in your first image the straight lines remain straight.

The distortion you are objecting to is a universal property of rectilinear wide angle lenses. It is the reason they are a poor choice for this sort of group portrait. For the stuff you do, normal to short telephoto lenses are the logical choice, but that doesn't mean the FA31 is a bad lens.