Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2018, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
Actually I had the 18-135 before, and I liked it. It does the job very well as a travel zoom. I sold it after acquiring the 20-40 and 70, because it didn't get much use, but I miss it sometimes when I still prefer an all-around-zoom, hence the quest for it. However, since I'm starting from the beginning again, knowing that the 18-135 is not that great after 70mm, I'm thinking about getter a better lens from 18-70 which I use most.
I understand your reasoning perfectly, as it appears most here do. I agree with reeftool that it makes sense to have a good f/2.8 standard zoom lens for times when you need what it offers, but also to have an all-around zoom lens with greater zoom range when you don't need the wider aperture. Having the wonderful DA 20-40mm Limited makes sense too, because its fine quality IQ combined with compactness when you don't need much zoom range is often the perfect tool for what you will be doing. With the DA 70 Limited it makes a great compact kit. I have the FA 77mm Limited and use it in that combo often.

02-05-2018, 03:32 AM   #32
Bui

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Of course, I would love to some day own all of 16-50, 16-85, 18-135 and 20-40, they're different enough to get rotational use. However the cost would be too high to justify for an amateur like me, plus my wife would kill me immediately if she accidentally opens my lock when cleaning :-) (not that she would not do if she opens it now)

Last edited by Bui; 02-05-2018 at 08:49 AM.
02-05-2018, 07:45 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
Of course, I would love to some day own all of 16-50, 16-85, 18-135 and 20-40, they're different enough to get rotational use. However the cost would be to high to justify, plus my wife would kill me if she accidentally open my lock when cleaning :-)

Sadly I own three of those four...
02-05-2018, 07:53 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Sadly I own three of those four...

Even more sadly I own none of them.
Would you be happier only owning two of the four?

02-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Even more sadly I own none of them.
Would you be happier only owning two of the four?

Only lament is LBA. LOL. Honestly, I'm victim to my dad's LBA and mine. He shot Pentax for a while and we developed two collections of lenses. Then he decided that he needed smaller gear. So I have a lot of duplication I wouldn't have otherwise. The 20-40 is an example, I wasn't interested in this lens, dad was. I like it, but doubt if I would have bought it otherwise. Now that I own it I'm not sure, it's pretty awesome.
02-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #36
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

obviously I live in the US not France

and one of the things I have done is rent a lens so I can have " hands on " experience

when trying to decide if I want to consider obtaining that lens

is that possible in France???
02-05-2018, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Only lament is LBA. LOL. Honestly, I'm victim to my dad's LBA and mine. He shot Pentax for a while and we developed two collections of lenses. Then he decided that he needed smaller gear. So I have a lot of duplication I wouldn't have otherwise. The 20-40 is an example, I wasn't interested in this lens, dad was. I like it, but doubt if I would have bought it otherwise. Now that I own it I'm not sure, it's pretty awesome.

I see that the LBA acronym could stand for lens buying addiction or lens buying anonymous.
So perhaps one could attend LBA regarding your LBA.
Don't worry, be happy.