Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #16
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Today I was at local shop, checking lens from top to bottom, and we discovered that the DOF is moving front back by at least -2 +2 almost every time you take picture at 50mm 2.8, 1m distance. Didn't check this at 70mm but I'm sure that it will be less. This guy told me that there were tons of lenses with similar effect and suggested to keep this lens. :/

Totally confused

01-25-2018, 12:44 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At effective FL of 75mm and at f2.8 the accepted range in focus at 1m will be narrow. I assume you were using spot focus ? If you take the same shot, refocusing every time, there will be a distribution in the point of focus the AF system measures. Add into the mix the absolute need for the camera and the subject to not move at all, then it hardly surprises me, that in a shop environment, you saw differences.

When I set my AF settings I always take at least 3, if not 5 shots and with very careful securing of camera and subject, MUP, remote etc, I will expect to get a distribution. Even a change in light will throw things as the subject will 'look' different to the camera. It's a problem in sunny/cloudy days and inside with flourescent lights too.

I wish focusing was objective, but in reality an AF system gets you close, but when the margins are small, a combination of manual/AF/bracketing/multiple shots etc will be the only way to get some shots at large apertures.
01-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #18
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I assume you were using spot focus ?
Yes

When I set my AF settings I always take at least 3, if not 5 shots
True if you or your subject is moving and your camera follows your focus point, but in my case, every shot will be front/back focused if I refocus. How much this focus throw is acceptable? how much it should be plus or minus? Again, I've compared this on my 16-85, I know it's 4.0 against 2.8 but there's just tiny shift, I've done 10 shots with 16-85 10 out of 10 its focus point was sharp, slight deviation of DOF, I mean, really slight shift, but every time it focused well. With 50-135 I have maybe 3 shots with sharp focus point. I'm not saying that it must be same every time, but the difference is huge!

You're right about conditions but we made this test in constant light, same environment for both lenses. Sadly, every time I wish to somehow keep it - new thing is coming.

Last edited by Lev; 01-25-2018 at 02:56 PM.
01-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
With 50-135 I have maybe 3 shots with sharp focus point. I'm not saying that it must be same every time, but the difference is huge!

You're right about conditions but we made this test in constant light, same environment for both lenses
if you get a high percentage of correctly auto focused results from your other lenses but only 3/10 with this lens then i would send it back for a replacement

01-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #20
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In addition to all this stuff now focusing ring started to squeak.

I don't understand how all these things can happen in a brand new product? I'm just very much wondering where the hell QC department was, on vacation? The only properly working part is glass, absolutely stunning, which I'm not sure I'll get in another copy.

Now I'm definitely going for another risk by exchanging this lens. Unfortunately I have no other options. If I'll get another bad copy I'm done.
01-29-2018, 02:34 AM   #21
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sent it back
01-29-2018, 02:58 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sent it back
Hope the replacement works better for you. It is an excellent lens (or should be).

01-29-2018, 03:12 AM   #23
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hope the replacement works better for you. It is an excellent lens (or should be).
Thanks but I'm thinking maybe 70-200 would be better in terms of quality control? I've already payed 1/3 of this price of this lens and have no idea what I will get in replacement I'm getting sick, I can't remember last time I bought something from B&H and it was good and didn't need to be returned :/
01-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #24
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Guys,

I've made some shots before sending it in. Just take a look how DOF is moving between shots, all using center point, re-focusing everytime:

108mm, 2.8, AF Fine Tune: 0

I was aiming at the center of white circle. Backfocusing.

Right after:

50mm, 2.8, AF Fine Tune: 0

I was aiming at the keys. Frontfocusing.

These are shots when I've realized that the ftront/backfocusing appear to be somehow not stable and moving shot to shot, AF fine tune setting was set to +4. Now target is third chain from left:

75mm, 2.8; AF Fine Tune +4

I don't know how you guys see differences but at high resolution I see only one image with tack sharp chain out of 10!

how do you think
01-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want to test front/back focus you need to do it scientifically with a test chart. Not handheld, and not by using a variety of different images.

Test the new lens properly when it arrives.
01-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If you want to test front/back focus you need to do it scientifically with a test chart. Not handheld, and not by using a variety of different images.

Test the new lens properly when it arrives.
I think this has been said. There are too many variables without making accurate tests, not least the inherent distribution of focus points even when every thing is done just right.
01-29-2018, 02:56 PM   #27
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What's up to you guys? We've done that test charts at shop. Autofocus was off at 50mm and 90mm. I've just uploaded these images as examples. I didn't want you to tell me whether it is off indeed. I was asking what do you think about it. The guy at shop told me that this is normal, he show me ultra fast Canon glass with same thing. Ok normal, but I was ending up 80% with blurry images.
01-29-2018, 04:27 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's up to you guys? We've done that test charts at shop. Autofocus was off at 50mm and 90mm. I've just uploaded these images as examples. I didn't want you to tell me whether it is off indeed. I was asking what do you think about it. The guy at shop told me that this is normal, he show me ultra fast Canon glass with same thing. Ok normal, but I was ending up 80% with blurry images.
I have told you what I think. If you get only 20% correctly focused shots using a proper AF testing technique , there is something wrong with the lens or the camera.

If the camera shop tell that is normal they are lying to you.
01-30-2018, 02:08 AM   #29
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok pschlute, I just thought maybe it was related to the loose focusing ring I had with this lens? Some folks here confirmed that they also had this little backlash in their copies, I just wonder how is their focusing accuracy?