Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-24-2018, 04:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Front/Back Focus issue

Guys, looks like I have front/back focus issue on my 50-135 lens

Front focus appears on 50mm and back focus on 135

any thoughts? return it right?

* correction. It looks like front/back focus issue is present when not zooming. If I zoom all the way in to 135 then there focus becomes good.

Last edited by Lev; 01-24-2018 at 05:35 AM.
01-24-2018, 05:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Return it? Not necessarily.

You are always likely to have differences at either end of the range with any zoom.

You could consider (a) an average AF adjustment between the ends, and/or (b) fine tune for the focal length you are likely to use most often.

Last edited by JohnX; 01-24-2018 at 05:27 AM.
01-24-2018, 05:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you checked it out for decentering? I think I would do that as part of the decision process.
01-24-2018, 05:40 AM   #4
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Have you checked it out for decentering? I think I would do that as part of the decision process.
yes I have checked it, with zeiss circle and another ISO.... no problem with decentering

well, when I focus on 135 it's great, more I zooming out more back focusing appears and on 50mm it's completely useless. If I correct it in AF fine adjustment - then it backfocuses on 135mm no matter what setting I'll make it is always big difference between 50mm and 135mm...

01-24-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn't seem right to be that severe. I can't check my copy until later today, but I don't feel like this has been an issue with it.
01-24-2018, 06:50 AM   #6
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've set it to +3 in Fine AF and for the first look it seems it's correcting but why it's happening this way. I know that if you need fine AF you do it but it should affect all focal ranges, or I'm wrong?
01-24-2018, 07:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The AF adjustment should apply to the lens as a whole, not a specific focal length, so the question would be why is the focus offset not consistent. I don't know enough about the optics involved to give a real answer. The lens does focus internally, so I believe it is a more "complicated" system than just moving the elements fore/aft as a group. This might explain the deviation, but I would not expect it from this lens based on my experiences with it.

01-24-2018, 07:42 AM   #8
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Does this means that it probably decentered?

Last edited by Lev; 01-24-2018 at 07:50 AM.
01-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Take a shot of a brick wall, or something with a regular pattern, where you are standing at right-angles to it, both vertically and horizontally. The bricks/pattern should be equally focussed all around the edge of the frame.

Don't know if this helps? https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/05/testing-for-a-decentered-lens-an-ol...ts-a-makeover/

Or this? https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/how-to-check-your-lens-...centering.html
01-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #10
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Take a shot of a brick wall, or something with a regular pattern, where you are standing at right-angles to it, both vertically and horizontally. The bricks/pattern should be equally focussed all around the edge of the frame.

Don't know if this helps? Lens Rentals | Blog

Or this? How to Check Your Lens for Decentering - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

John, thanks, ok I'll do that but do you find something strange in pictures above? That strange lines in out of focus areas appear both in test chart and in picture
01-24-2018, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't a variation between front and back focus across a zoom lens' range usual ? It has been on all the zooms I've ever owned - some more than others. Obviously, if it's extreme then there may be a problem, but with a complex range of optical parameters to handle, there's always going to be compromises. I've found that I've set my zooms up to be better on the end that I tend to use most, then ease off a little towards the required adjustment at the other end. So never is it perfect, but it's better where I tend to need it most. They I try to remember this. Isn't this normal ? I've discussed this with users of other brands and folk in the trade, and it seems it's an accepted compromise, but most users just don't notice the problem.

On my K-3s most of my lenses (zoom and primes) are adjusted between +5 and +7 (interestingly both K-3s are identical). My 50-150 varied by about +3 as I recall, but my 16-50 was more like +5. Some field curvature may be involved in the latter. My K-1 is completely different as I've left all my FF lenses at 0, a zoom too - been lucky.

Also, I set my AFs up by measuring a target at about 2 to 3 m, as I found measuring at shorter distances gave inconsistent and less helpful results for my usage. Any close-up work I tend to double check the focus anyway and for long distances the focus becomes less relevant.
01-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you are re-focusing after you zoom, right?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #13
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you are re-focusing after you zoom, right?
Adam, of course I do. I was wondering why allmost all my photos are out of focus. Sadly but fact that even when I focus it somehow, pictures from my 16-85 look better in tele range. Do you think that the AF fine adjustment may differ from wide to tele range and that this is normal?

Does anybody have idea what these vertical lines mean in focus chart I have posted? or that strange out of focus area in corner of the first picture?

---------- Post added 01-24-18 at 11:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Isn't a variation between front and back focus across a zoom lens' range usual ? It has been on all the zooms I've ever owned - some more than others. Obviously, if it's extreme then there may be a problem, but with a complex range of optical parameters to handle, there's always going to be compromises. I've found that I've set my zooms up to be better on the end that I tend to use most, then ease off a little towards the required adjustment at the other end. So never is it perfect, but it's better where I tend to need it most. They I try to remember this. Isn't this normal ? I've discussed this with users of other brands and folk in the trade, and it seems it's an accepted compromise, but most users just don't notice the problem.

On my K-3s most of my lenses (zoom and primes) are adjusted between +5 and +7 (interestingly both K-3s are 1identical). My 50-150 varied by about +3 as I recall, but my 16-50 was more like +5. Some field curvature may be involved in the latter. My K-1 is completely different as I've left all my FF lenses at 0, a zoom too - been lucky.

Also, I set my AFs up by measuring a target at about 2 to 3 m, as I found measuring at shorter distances gave inconsistent and less helpful results for my usage. Any close-up work I tend to double check the focus anyway and for long distances the focus becomes less relevant.
Well, at 50mm I have to set it to +3 or +4 to make it just acceptable, not great, this way the focus point jus enters area in focus but if I want it to be great I have to set it to +10! You might think ok, let it be like that, but now at 135 you're completely out of focus

Last edited by Lev; 01-24-2018 at 11:46 AM.
01-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Adam, of course I do. I was wondering why allmost all my photos are out of focus. Sadly but fact that even when I focus it somehow, pictures from my 16-85 look better in tele range. Do you think that the AF fine adjustment may differ from wide to tele range and that this is normal?

Does anybody have idea what these vertical lines mean in focus chart I have posted? or that strange out of focus area in corner of the first picture?

---------- Post added 01-24-18 at 11:45 AM ----------

Well, at 50mm I have to set it to +3 or +4 to make it just acceptable, not great, this way the focus point jus enters area in focus but if I want it to be great I have to set it to +10! You might think ok, let it be like that, but now at 135 you're completely out of focus
Regarding the front and back focus test, you need to re-do it using a proper setup in order to get conclusive results. However, my personal recommendation would be to get out there and take some real pictures, and revisit the focusing adjustment only if you get photos that aren't "keepers" when they should be.

The lines in the 2nd and 3rd shots are likely from your light source. Try using a shutter speed < 1/50s.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-25-2018, 03:11 AM   #15
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote

On my K-3s most of my lenses (zoom and primes) are adjusted between +5 and +7 (interestingly both K-3s are identical). My 50-150 varied by about +3 as I recall, but my 16-50 was more like +5. Some field curvature may be involved in the latter. My K-1 is completely different as I've left all my FF lenses at 0, a zoom too - been lucky.

Barry, if it's set to 0 and I'm focusing to subject from about 3-4 meter and lens is set to somewere 70mm, then it backfocuses for about 10cm. e.g. sharp focus is behind subject for about 10cm. I have also checked my 16-85 and 55-300. Last one had just very tiny bit of backfocus on wide angle. Easily will be corrected with I think +1 setting in AF fine tune. with 50-135 it's a whole different thing, with setting to 0, on front/back focusing chart, on wide angle and from 1,2m distance, it backfocuses so that the focus goes all the way up for several centimeters, 2 or 3. So to fully compensate it I have to set AF fine tune to +10! Now the question, would you buy the lens with this kind of behavior?