Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

HD-DA 55-300 F4-5.8 ED WR lens??

On the K5II will this lens work fine on this camera. I want a good zoom in this range. I have an 18-135 and want more reach in a zoom lens feedback appreciated Thanks

01-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes it will

I hope this info helps

your camera is on line 4

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.

Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. . . .

DC, PLM or SDM: Lenses with the DC, PLM or SDM designation feature a built-in autofocus motor. Newer cameras (K100D Super, K10D, and later) will take advantage of this motor and not use the screw-drive mechanism.

Some DA lenses are DC/SDM-Only (KAF3 mount), such as the smc PENTAX-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM prime lens and smc PENTAX-DA 17-70mm F4 zoom lens. These lenses lack the traditional screw drive autofocus coupler and will therefore only autofocus on the K10D, K100D Super, and newer Pentax cameras.

DA lenses with the PLM motor (KAF4 mount) has no provision for screw drive autofocus. They also have no mechanical linkage for stopping down the aperture and can therefore only be used on cameras supporting electronic aperture stop down (K-50/K-S1/K-S2/K-3/K-3 II/K-1 with firmware update, or newer).

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html

The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount
Technical Information and a Little Bit of History
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Dec 29, 2014

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/evolution-of-pentax-k-m...#ixzz55PAd9xbj

remember that user reviews and in depth reviews can be found under " camera " and " lenses " above

in depth review of the HD-DA 55-300 F4-5.8 ED WR

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-da-55-300mm/introduction.html?src=lrdb

in depth review of the K 5 II

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-5-ii-iis/introduction.html?src=lrdb

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-27-2018 at 10:09 AM.
01-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The short answer is yes. The newer PLM version will not work with the K-5 II.
01-27-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Correct, it will focus but always shoot wide open on the K-5.

You would need a K-3 or newer. The AF on this lens is insane, so might be worth thinking about.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gold Coast Quote
On the K5II will this lens work fine on this camera. I want a good zoom in this range. I have an 18-135 and want more reach in a zoom lens feedback appreciated Thanks
This is a very good lens. Its screw-driven autofocus is noisy, but optically it's a close match for the newer PLM version (which - to repeat what has been said above - does not work on the K-5 series). The screw-driven versions are about 1/3 stop or so faster across the range too.

For best results, stop down one or two stops, particularly at the long end.
01-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Good lens for the money. I used mine on a big trip to Washington State last summer... Fit into my bag due to the compact size and does a remarkable job for the price. It will not compete with my DFA 70-200 2.8 but for the money is an awesome little lens.
01-27-2018, 07:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

HD-DA 55-300 F4-5.8 ED WR lens??
Excellent Lens ! Screw drive will work on K-5ii . AF speed and noise has never caused me any grief . e.g.one of 50 individual shots each one back focused of 2 Horny Bucks (moving a lot) trying to decide who was going to take the little lady for a walk (98% in focus). Bokeh & Fokeh is superb on the 55-300. Second shot was a hurried shot while blocking traffic on a bridge over the Kaministiquia River. Look in the lower left of the river for a Doe and her Fawn swimming in freezing water for the far shore. They made it. Most of these shots are from the windows of my 1/2 ton for the last 3 years because of health problems. The HD 55-300 has been there all the time and gives me the reach I need ( because of the sharpness of the lens the reach is increased substantaully with cropping and does a slendid job with focus). The con is it does search sometimes so pre focus whenever.!

Last edited by honey bo bo; 05-29-2018 at 10:06 AM.
01-27-2018, 08:13 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Those photos look good. Thanks for the info appreciate it

Bill
01-27-2018, 09:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine works just fine with my K-5IIs, as well as with other more recent bodies. I've had it for a number of years now. AF has been fast enough, unless going from near to far in one jump, and it has been accurate. I did a recent test with my KP to see how it handled shooting the rear end of cars as they passed, going around 25-30mph, and it did very well in getting sharp shots, as long as I kept my shutter speed high enough.

It has delivered fine images for me of numerous subjects over these years.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-27-2018 at 09:08 PM.
01-28-2018, 07:58 AM   #10

Yes it will

I have this lens and use it on a k5 and a k1. It is fully functional on both. As people have pointed out, the (screw-drive) AF is slow and noisy. That's just something you have to compensate for with your shooting technique. Try to get the AF in range by a preliminary press on the shutter button. Then, when you've framed the shot, do a final focusing and shoot. The AF is fast enough when you start off close to the correct focus. The HD coating is really the special feature of this lens. I get really good contrast and color fidelity.. The 3D rendering and bokeh are very good for a zoom. At the long end, edge sharpness goes down, but that's not too much of a problem; most of the shots you would take at 300mm have a subject in the center.
01-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonsheiman Quote
I have this lens and use it on a k5 and a k1. It is fully functional on both. As people have pointed out, the (screw-drive) AF is slow and noisy. That's just something you have to compensate for with your shooting technique. Try to get the AF in range by a preliminary press on the shutter button. Then, when you've framed the shot, do a final focusing and shoot. The AF is fast enough when you start off close to the correct focus. The HD coating is really the special feature of this lens. I get really good contrast and color fidelity.. The 3D rendering and bokeh are very good for a zoom. At the long end, edge sharpness goes down, but that's not too much of a problem; most of the shots you would take at 300mm have a subject in the center.
Belated Welcome to the Forum
01-29-2018, 01:46 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

HD-DA 55-300 F4-5.8 ED WR
Mine's the older SMC version, but I find it to perform very well.

A few samples with the K-3.

And some more recent shots with the K-1.

01-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Look at the bokeh ! Incl. photo # 3 were the branch in the fore ground (fokeh) is dealt with. It happens all the time when you are shooting wildlife with all versions of the 55-300 @ f5.6 give or take and the critters are in the middle of cover. Coolest Lens ever
01-29-2018, 05:04 PM   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Look at the bokeh ! Incl. photo # 3 were the branch in the fore ground (fokeh) is dealt with. It happens all the time when you are shooting wildlife with all versions of the 55-300 @ f5.6 give or take and the critters are in the middle of cover. Coolest Lens ever
I've got the DA-L version (ie without the WR coatings - don't know how much difference that makes), and it is quite sharp when used within reasonable limits. But I think as with a lot of consumer zooms (including the DA 18-135), the bokeh can be variable. It's pleasant in each of @Savoche's excellent samples, but not always so. It can be susceptible to nisen bokeh (About Bokeh ), which shows as parallel lines in the out of focus areas. (I can't find a clear example in my Flickr stream - probably because I don't upload the worst ones ;-))

The other lens which hasn't been mentioned is the DA*60-250 f4. I've never used it, but most owners seem to love it. It's much more expensive, and heavier, the reach isn't as great, and it suffers from focus breathing; but it's a premium lens, with premium build and seems to produce very fine images.