Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Same here as most others: ND's and CPL (sorry Mr. Northrup, I don't agree with you) and otherwise nada.
But when I first got back into photography a couple years ago I thought I needed UV/Haze filters like I did back in the day, and bought the best available. My local camera shop pro did not try to dissuade me. :0

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-28-2018 at 08:04 PM.
01-28-2018, 04:05 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firm believer in ND filters for shooting wide open on sunny pays and for long exposures. They are the only filters that touch my lenses.
01-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot around/across water a lot, and after much fiddling taking test shots with and without, I find a high quality UV filter can make an improvement in certain situations, or at least no detrimental difference I can see. The caveat would be shooting into the sun. There, one less layer of glass always seems to be an improvement. So, between either finding a slight improvement to no negative change plus the protection aspect, I put a high quality UV filter on most all my lenses. And as would be expected around water, I have a CPL for every lens. I've settled on B+W, but there certainly are several other good makers. I think this is an area you do get what you pay for, and if you do use filters, you need good ones. An earlier post made reference to the Lens Rental blogs on UV filters. Here are a couple links worth a quick read - informative and entertaining:

an "accidental" discovery of UV filter quality differences:
Lens Rentals | Blog

and a more scientific review with actual measurements:
Lens Rentals | Blog

and I know there are many other articles and tests out there - you can go nuts on this topic. As they point out in the Lens Rental blogs, "not enough bandwidth" to sort this one out. I'd say grab a good quality filter for your favorite lens and go play in situations that match what you shoot, and put it on a tripod and take some controlled pictures and see where you land. Worst thing that happens is you take it off.

Last edited by clickclick; 01-28-2018 at 05:01 PM.
01-28-2018, 05:29 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

In this corner we have A

____________________________________________________________and in the opposing corner we have B

and seldom will they meet peacefully in the middle

all I know is that it was the protective filter that broke instead of the much more expensive front glass of my lens

YMMV

01-28-2018, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless I'm doing indoor macro work I always use a filter.

For colour slide film it's a skylight filter most of the time and sometimes a warming filter (81A or 81B) or a LPL.

For b&w film a yellow or orange filter most of the time and sometimes a red or LPL.

I only use Pentax SMC or Schneider B+W MRC filters.

Phil.
01-28-2018, 06:04 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll use CPL and ND filters, and put up with any loss of contrast or artefacts with them.

I'll always use a lens cap instead of a UV filter for physical protection, that's what it's designed for.
01-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe someone can set me straight... I do not use UV or clear filters. I do use a lens hood. I usually do not use a CPL, but...
I do use a CPL when I'm dealing with water surfaces and want to minimize reflection.
I also use a CPL at the times when I would be wearing polarized sunglasses. I.e., I use it during bright, sunny days, especially in scenes with reflective or light colored surfaces.
Is that a good guide for determining when to use a CPL?
This practice seems to work for me.

01-28-2018, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
Maybe someone can set me straight...
I do use a CPL when I'm dealing with water surfaces and want to minimize reflection.
Yes, youʻre correct. However, you can also get glare off of plants and flowers, or reflections off metal and plastic, etc. There may also be situations where youʻre trying to shoot through glass, and at the right angle it will help to reduce reflection.
01-28-2018, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
Maybe someone can set me straight... I do not use UV or clear filters. I do use a lens hood. I usually do not use a CPL, but...
I also use a CPL at the times when I would be wearing polarized sunglasses. I.e., I use it during bright, sunny days, especially in scenes with reflective or light colored surfaces.
Exactly what it's for ... remove the glare, and you see the underlying details and colours, including in foliage and skin.
01-29-2018, 04:09 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'll use CPL and ND filters, and put up with any loss of contrast or artefacts with them.

I'll always use a lens cap instead of a UV filter for physical protection, that's what it's designed for.
I'm not saying to throw away the cap or the hood, I use them

I just add a protective filter too which I remove when I add a CPL

it works for me

just like my other habits: I cook a steak rare ( I can always cook it more but I have figured out how to uncook a steak ) and I make my coffee hot and strong, I can always weaken or cool it ( i haven't figure out how to make weak coffee strong and I hate reheated coffee or cold coffee ).

Your opinion on those habits of mine may vary and that is ok with me
01-29-2018, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I'm not saying to throw away the cap or the hood, I use them

I just add a protective filter too which I remove when I add a CPL

it works for me

just like my other habits: I cook a steak rare ( I can always cook it more but I have figured out how to uncook a steak ) and I make my coffee hot and strong, I can always weaken or cool it ( i haven't figure out how to make weak coffee strong and I hate reheated coffee or cold coffee ).

Your opinion on those habits of mine may vary and that is ok with me
I think you're scarred by what happened to you once, Aslyfox, that's true.

If your lens with the weight of a camera behind it swings into the end of a steel pole or concrete step or you drop it onto a rock with protrusions, that filter won't help you, the cap and hood will.

Still, it's your equipment to lose, you don't need to listen to anyone.
01-29-2018, 04:25 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . .

Still, it's your equipment to lose, you don't need to listen to anyone.

I did write clackers that I now use the hood, cap and protective lens

didn't I

so in your example, my primary glass is as protective as possible unless I am actively shooting

what more do you want??

are there downsides to having that extra piece of glass

could be

others say so

I haven't noticed it

if so that is the least of my photographic sins.
01-29-2018, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup - like others, I go with a good brand (Lee) and use a CPL, ND and ND grads. The Lee type of ND grads can double up as NDs on most lenses (all but those with the largest front elements, so I have them in 1, 2 and 3 stops plus a 10 stop 'Big Stopper'. I'm tempted by the 5-stp and 15 stop, but don't need them enough to overcome price resistance. Like all kit, they're there for a purpose and very valuable when conditions dictate, but I don't use them the majority of the time.
I don't use protective filters because although I definitely don't want my expensive lenses to get damaged, I laid out the money for the best optical performance I could afford and I don't want to then routinely degrade it, however slightly.

Last edited by ffking; 01-29-2018 at 05:04 AM. Reason: typos
01-29-2018, 04:43 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

I did write clackers that I now use the hood, cap and protective lens

didn't I

so in your example, my primary glass is as protective as possible unless I am actively shooting

what more do you want??

are there downsides to having that extra piece of glass

could be

others say so

I haven't noticed it

if so that is the least of my photographic sins.
I think we went through this in another thread, Aslyfox, and Roger Cicala had found the UV filter you use to be one of the worst performing optically?

Still, if you don't have a point source of light in the field of view there shouldn't be any reflections, and if you shoot subjects in direct sunlight there'll be plenty of contrast of its own accord.

Last edited by clackers; 01-29-2018 at 04:51 AM.
01-29-2018, 04:45 AM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we went through this in another thread, Aslyfox, and Roger Cicala had found the UV filter you use to be one of the worst performing optically?
as you said we went through this

why would you restart it here

I didn't mention the brand name of the filter I chose

nor did I try to convince anyone to follow my habit

your subsequent addition, after I initially posted this response, does make a good point for consideration:

. . . Still, if you don't have a point source of light in the field of view there shouldn't be any reflections, and if you shoot subjects in direct sunlight there'll be plenty of contrast of its own accord.

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-29-2018 at 04:59 AM.