Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2018, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The Kiron 105mm f2.8 macro, sold under a number of other brand names such as Lester Dine and Vivitar, seems to be quite excellent. Might be available at the top end of your budget. Only issue may be slow or stuck aperture blades due to the lubricants Kiron used, although I don't know that this lens is as affected as others (24 and 28mm primes, for instance, seem to be hit with this often) and it can be fixed by someone that knows what they're doing.
be sure to compare apples with apples not apples with oranges

I found a Kiron 28mm 2.0 PK/A

it is also available in M42 and PK mounts and it is those mounts which reportedly develop the slow or stuck aperture blades due to the lubricants Kiron used

not sure if that is the problem with the Kiron 105 or not

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Let's not exceed the limit between brand appreciation and fanboyism
The first three versions of the 100mm macro f/4 have the same optical layout as the old Micro-Nikkor (5 elements, Heliar/Dynar type). Good enough today, very good in its time, but not on par with more modern options, starting with the Pentax-A 2.8/100mm. . . .

Paolo
not sure about the A 100mm 2.8 but as mentioned before, the F, FA and Smc D FA 100mm macros share the same optics as the newest D FA 100mm macro WR

---------- Post added 01-30-18 at 11:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
. . . so don't be thinking she just doesn't know any better.
she has to know what she is doing

she married you

[ is that a plus though ?? ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-30-2018 at 10:47 AM.
01-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Honestly, if given the opportunity, sticking or slow, etc aperture blades should always be checked when buying a lens. I've not been bitten by this but I'd be pretty frustrated at buying a new-to-me lens only to find out that the aperture is slow acting or gummed up.
02-02-2018, 03:11 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This will probably sell for around 50 euros or so:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202213138163?ul_noapp=true
Not bad at all, weak-ish build... but as fa as i remember it's identical to the Pentax one (made by Cosina).

cheers
Paolo
02-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
I know you already stated your preference for 100mm focal length. But don't disappoint yourself by spending on a 100mm non-Pentax macro. Yes they may be great or just as good but they are not Pentax renderings at the end of the day.
D-FA100mm is a WR and is a great lens and can be had new for about $350 when on sale brand new. Hang in there until it gets to that price some time this year.
OR
A-50/f2.8, D-FA50/2.8 are awesome (I also have the F-50 macro btw). I still prefer and use my A50 variant more often than the D-FA50 Macro or F-50 Macro despite needing manual focus (which is a pleasure to use). All macros are sharp and will reveal obscene amount of details that no zooms will ever produce. A50 is a resolution monster and I am amazed how old this lens is and still performant. Once you get used to this dedicated Macro cleanliness you will start to dislike your zooms a little bit which is a side effect.
If you want to play safe and do not want 1:1 macro then DA35/f2.8 macro is another resolution monster which can be had for a decent price new.

If you are up for a kidney then there are a couple of A200/f4 macros on sale on ebay. Jokes apart.. I think the A variants of the Pentax Macros have something in them that the other macros do not offer. And there are 3 of them.. (A50/f2.8, A100/f2.8 and A200/f4 out there to scout for).
The A100/2.8 macro offers rear element reflections back to the sensor as a feature. I can't speak to the A50 or A200 macros in this regard. My M50/4 macro doesn't seem to, nor does my FA* 200/4 Macro (I plan on being cremated with this lens in my cold dead hands).
At one time, there was a section of this website dedicated to pictures of various lenses. I contributed several pictures of Pentax 6x7 lenses to it. I don't know if it still exists, but if it does, I recall my pictures all showed some rear element reflection. All were shot with the A100/2.8 macro. Watch for bright backgrounds with this lens. It's a shame, because in every other regard, it is a stunningly good lens.

02-02-2018, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
FA* 200/4 Macro (I plan on being cremated with this lens in my cold dead hands).
I hate you.
02-02-2018, 03:22 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I hate you.
My work here is done then.
02-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I paid a little more than $100 for my Pentax (Cosina) FA 100mm f3.5, and that included buying the 1:1 attachment separately.

I bought the lens here from the marketplace, and the box was obliterated by the time it got to my house. The lens has a reputation for terrible build quality, but the seller and I were both happy it seems to handle being drop kicked pretty well...

The autofocus is loud and slow, but it’s optically good.

-Eric

02-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I think I paid a little more than $100 for my Pentax (Cosina) FA 100mm f3.5, and that included buying the 1:1 attachment separately.

I bought the lens here from the marketplace...
The eBay auction I linked will probably sell for less (BTW, the lens is complete, with the 1:1 diopter), but buying on the marketplace forum should be more... trouble free. I'd expect an item sold by a fellow pentaxian to be fully tested and defect-free. Personally I would never sell anything minimally problematic on this forum. If I had a lens that I suspect to be a little decentered, or is a little hazy, I'd rather sell it on eBay. Not here.
I guess that most forum users would do the same.

I own many lenses, and I routinely buy a few each month, mostly on eBay. I'm fully aware of the risk involved, but most of them are low priced, so I'm not risking big money. In the end, the nice deals more than compensate for the few very bad ones.
If I had to buy a very expensive lens, I would consider buying from a forum member with good reputation.

I checked a few (finalized) eBay auction sales, and I found that Internet hype has a huge influence on the amount of money some people are willing to spend.
While a good lens like the Vivitar 90mm Macro (Komine made) sold for 89 euros, a "Bokina" has been paid €301, and a Vivitar Series 1 (Kino made) around €250!
I leave any consideration to the reader...

Cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 02-04-2018 at 05:08 AM.
02-09-2018, 05:54 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I have a question regarding the quick shift feature of the DFA 100mm macro (non-WR): can someone confirm that quick shift is NOT working on autofocus film SLRs, like Z-series or MZ-S?

I've got this lens and it's either AF mode only or manual focus on MF mode but quick shift doesnt work (Z20, MZ-S). QS is working on K-5 IIs as expected. On Super-A manual focus also works as expected.

Thanks...
02-09-2018, 07:05 AM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
I have a question regarding the quick shift feature of the DFA 100mm macro (non-WR): can someone confirm that quick shift is NOT working on autofocus film SLRs, like Z-series or MZ-S?

I've got this lens and it's either AF mode only or manual focus on MF mode but quick shift doesnt work (Z20, MZ-S). QS is working on K-5 IIs as expected. On Super-A manual focus also works as expected.

Thanks...
not sure these help but they have good info to know

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

" Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering. "

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html

" Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series "
02-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
not sure these help but they have good info to know

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

" Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering. "

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

" Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series "
Yes, thanks, I know this chart! However, I am referring especially to the quick shift feature. The lens itself work on film either in manual or auto focus. It's this manual focus over-ride which doesnt seem to work and I wanted to know if this is normal behaviour on film bodies or if the lens might be faulty.
02-09-2018, 08:46 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yucafrita, does the camera body in question have back button AF like a DSLR? If so, are you using that feature?
02-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
yucafrita, does the camera body in question have back button AF like a DSLR? If so, are you using that feature?
The Z20 does not have back button AF but the MZ-S does have this feature. However, both operate the lens only either as AF or MF, and quick shift in AF does not work. I suppose, however, that this is normal behaviour. The lens manual is not clear at this point. Since the lens is post film-SLR, probably only DSLRs communicate in a way with the lens to allow quick shift. It would just be nice to have a confirmation.
02-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a DA 15, which is screw drive, and features Quick Shift. If I focus using AF first, I hit the back button for AF actuation, and then I let go of the AF button. I can tweak focus from there using the focus ring. The camera does nothing, and the shutter is free to fire at any time. This is on my K-5 II. I don't know how the camera body could affect this function as Quick Shift is basically a clutch mechanism in the lens itself and nothing about it involves the camera body.

The only reason I asked about back button AF is to make sure that you weren't changing the focus manually, then having shutter button AF actuation change what you had done with the focus yourself manually.

When I hold my DA 15 in my hand and turn the focus ring, the screw drive coupling on the back of the lens does not turn. On my DA 35 f2.4 (as an example), a lens that doesn't feature Quick Shift, the screw drive coupling turns in direct proportion to the motion of the focusing ring. I'm not sure how your camera body could be changing this behavior. I do not have experience with your specific lens.
02-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I use the macro in the same way on my K5 IIs, where it works. The question remains for film autofocus SLRs. Regarding the communication, I think the clutch doesnt dis-engage on a AF SLR, only on DSLRs. Dont know why this should be the case, but these are the symptoms here...

One difference between the MZ-S and the DSLRs is that I cant free the shutter button from AF. So I have keep the back button focus or the shutter button pressed. On the K5 IIs, on the other hand, if I keep the back button pressed, quick shift works. Therefore I suppose its something between camera-lens communication which tells the lens that quick shift is allowed.

The alternative explanation is that quick shift should work on MZ-S and Z20 and my lens has a failure.