Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #31
Unregistered User

One more thought: Most places nowadays are too hazy to effectively use telephoto for landscapes. If you get some nice weather in Iceland the air can be very clear at times, making your 55-300 a good choice for the long end.

03-06-2018, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
One more thought: Most places nowadays are too hazy to effectively use telephoto for landscapes.
Really? I guess I’m lucky to live in New Mexico where the humidity is very low and very little air pollution.
03-06-2018, 12:37 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Really? I guess I’m lucky to live in New Mexico where the humidity is very low and very little air pollution.
Big skies out there! Love that terrain!
03-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #34
Unregistered User

I've been in NM and Iceland beats it (when it is isn't raining sideways.)

03-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
One more thought: Most places nowadays are too hazy to effectively use telephoto for landscapes. If you get some nice weather in Iceland the air can be very clear at times, making your 55-300 a good choice for the long end.

That struck me as a little odd. I think that if you don't live in an industrial city in China pollution and haze is equal or less than 50 or 75 years ago.
03-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
That struck me as a little odd. I think that if you don't live in an industrial city in China pollution and haze is equal or less than 50 or 75 years ago.
When I used to live in Philadelphia (1995-2000), on a clear day, I judge the daily pollution level by looking at the blue sky and looking at when that blue turned to brown. On a good day the brown would end about 30 degrees off the horizon, on a bad day it was closer to 45 degrees.

Where I live now, except on certain spring days when the winds would whip up dust, I see blue all the way to the horizon without any brown sky.

I can't say whether that pollution would have an impact on telephoto lenses and distant subjects, but humidity in the air definitely can, and here 30-50% humidity is a very humid day. We're usually closer to 10-15% humidity.