Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2018, 02:22 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
We are going to be in Ireland (not sure where yet), Barcelona and Rome/Florence/Naples.
At least in Italy and Barcelona. Never been to Ireland so can't say about that. If you want to eat or drink something, go at least 2 blocks away from main tourist attraction or route. You get better food for cheaper that way. Places that serve for locals need the customer to come again and locals there take food very seriously. Tourist places only try to get them in ones and they have higher rents to cover due to location. Hotels also usually know the good places to go in their area.

Personally I found places like Fontana di Trevi and Colosseum in Rome a bit let down due to all tourist hassle. In Italy there's plenty to see outside the main attractions in much nicer atmosphere. But, if you go to Rome, Forum Romanum is nice closed area with plenty to see.

I have traveled Italy with K30 and DA50/1.8 only. Had to stitch a punch of panoramas, but it was OK. My current travel kit is DA21, M35, M50, M85 & M120. That's light enough set that I don't mind carrying all day and fits my shoulder bag. From your set I would take all but 300 and maybe converter. If you want smaller set, the 70 would be next to drop.

02-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll be in Rome, right? Go to Piazza Venezia. You can make there some interesting photos, like this one but much better.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
02-04-2018, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I carried camera gear when I took business trips alone to several cities in Europe and Australia. Although my tourist time was limited, I squeezed in rewarding walk-abouts and photo outings.

The typical kit included a K-5 II and several lenses - DA* 50-135, DA 15 Ltd and DA 35 Ltd. Approximately 75% of my shots were at 35mm and around 85mm, and I found plenty of interesting subjects at those focal lengths. I think I could manage well with only two lenses, say the DA 35 Ltd and a DA 70.

- Craig
02-06-2018, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Many old european cities are very "tight". I dont know Ireland but for Barcelona and Florence its mostly wide-angle. Rome and Naples shouldnt be that much different. Forget about open, wide streets you may be used to in the USA. Use comfortable shoes. You will be walking all day long and your soles will burn otherwise.

If you werent pleased with the 18-135, use the 16-85. I would avoid swapping lenses as much as possible and this means zoom. I'd prefer zoom. If you want to stick with primes, the 15mm and the 70/100mm if you want to shoot portraits. If not, 15mm and 35mm.

Be aware of pick-pockets and have fun!

02-06-2018, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

general advise

Greetings from Europe! I've been to the places you plan to go except Ireland.

Since a lot has already been said about lens choices I only want to add some general advice.

First: these cities provide abundance of things to take pictures of. While you will be able to purchase memory cards at literally every corner if needed, Pentax accessories are hard to get. Pack at least one spare battery, better more than that.

Second: in order to charge batteries as well as mobile devices, bring a power strip plus the wall-plug adaptors needed. In Europe not all wall plugs are of equal design, so check which adaptor you'll need for each single country.

Third: in Rome there are a lot of security checks at the entrances to places of touristic interest. I found it easy to get past them as long as my bag was small and security could determine what's in it at first glance. They don't like big items and cramped bags.

Security checks mean waiting in line and wasting precious time. If you arrive early in the morning (especially at St. Peter) it could save you hours. Same is true for Pompeii.

Fourth: In case your plans for Naples include a hike on Vesuvius a Polarizer filter will help to capture the panoramic view.

I hope you'll enjoy your trip and not only take great pictures but make pleasant memories, too!
02-06-2018, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I second the power strip. I took three on the last trip with power adapters for all of Europe. Each strip had only two sockets but 4 USB ports. We had three rooms one for each one.
02-06-2018, 06:24 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last couple of trips to Europe with digital I took the 16-50. It’s big but a great range for traveling.

If I had your kit, I’d leave the 300 at home and maybe even the 100.

If I added anything it might be the 20-40 limited because of its size...

My last trip I took film and mostly used the 24-35. I bought a baby Manfrotto tripod and it was super.

-Eric

02-06-2018, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It can be tricky, taking just primes to new locations. We all know our usual haunts and what lens works best there, but in new places, a zoom might be the difference between getting the shot and not.
I'd second the 16-85mm, cracking lens, I'd also take the 15 Ltd as night shots with streetlight starbursts are always in the back of my mind, probably need a light weight tripod too though.
Unless you just buy a cheap one and leave it behind after.
I'd take the 100mm macro too as I wouldn't be without mine.
If you have the budget, I'd buy a used 60-250mm and just sell it on afterwards, great iq from that, and leave the 300mm at home.
Enjoy your travels,
Do you know where in Ireland you will be heading to ?
Derek
02-06-2018, 11:18 PM   #24
Pentaxian

The 15, 35 and 70mm lenses cover a wide range and are very high quality, and as long as you don't mind switching, they should cover pretty much everything you need. The one thing you might be missing there is a more normal wide. Add the 21mm and that's solved.

If you want to avoid switching then I'd recommend a fast standard zoom such as the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 which is a superb lens with rendering very similar to the best of the DA limiteds.

Depending on where you're going and for how long, you might want to also consider a WR lens, even just the kit 18-55, in case rain strikes.
02-07-2018, 12:54 AM   #25

I would take 15mm, 35mm, 70mm and a 17-50mm zoom. I would carry either the zoom or 2 primes on each outing, leaving the rest in the hotel. This provides various options to suit expected shooting conditions, and it also provides a backup in case a lens fails. I do not think a telephoto is warranted - not having one means missing a few shots, but also means a simpler and lighter kit. It is worth checking the types of shots you are likely to take on Flickr, and see what focal lengths they used.

A lot of the streets in Europe are narrow, so many times you will not be able to step back to frame a shot. There are vast numbers of interesting shots, calling for differing focal lengths, in many old towns and villages. The flexibility of a zoom, and the safety of not exposing your sensor to dust during lens changes are very worthwhile - even at the cost of image quality. A bit of practice stitching panoramas before you go can be a simple way of dealing with wide angle needs.

Expect to walk a lot, and often on hard and possibly uneven surfaces. Have suitable footwear and get in plenty of practice before you go. Europe in summer can be very hot, so you will be thankful for lightweight kit options.

Power strips are great - one adapter and you have multiple working outlets. If travelling by car, a USB charger can be invaluable. Parking can be very problematic - a study of Google Earth before you go can be very helpful in researching parking options.

I have had no issues with safety or security in Europe. Like any other city, I avoid districts that are known to be risky or that do not feel safe. Just keep a reasonable awareness of your surroundings and you should be fine. And avoid being like some American tourists I have seen, with bulging wallets stuck precariously in their back pockets.
02-07-2018, 02:05 AM   #26
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

If you rent a car in Italy, beware of limited traffic zones. Usually found in historical city centrals. Easy to drive thru in accident, active camera surveillance, high tickets and they will hunt you down thru rental company. If your hotel is in limited are make sure you have right to drive there before trying it.

I think you can find limited areas of all cities here.

Also south from Rome in Italy car rental cannot be advised. Usually you cannot get zero liability for insurance there even by paying extra and your excess share can be more than 2500€. For example in case of car theft.
02-07-2018, 04:02 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Snafu711 Quote
Greetings from Europe! I've been to the places you plan to go except Ireland.
…and welcome to Pentax Forums. Great first post!
02-07-2018, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I visited northern Italy last June, and Ireland the summer before. The Italian trip was with the KP, while I had the K-1 in Ireland.
With your kit, the 15, 35, 70, 100 and 300 are no brainers. Leave the teleconverter at home.

Along with the Duomo and Ufizzi, visit the Palazzo Pitti in Florence.
In Rome, plan ahead or even pay for a guided tour. Dark Rome has some amazing packages.
In Ireland, the Rock of Cashel and the whole west coast are mandatory. Blarney Castle is good fun and the country around Trim and Navan is magnificent.
02-07-2018, 06:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I second the power strip. I took three on the last trip with power adapters for all of Europe. Each strip had only two sockets but 4 USB ports. We had three rooms one for each one.
Nice!
My friends just got back from Portugal and have a power strip with each adapter they're lending us for our trip.

Things I wouldn't have thought of!

---------- Post added 02-07-18 at 08:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dick897 Quote
It can be tricky, taking just primes to new locations. We all know our usual haunts and what lens works best there, but in new places, a zoom might be the difference between getting the shot and not.
I'd second the 16-85mm, cracking lens, I'd also take the 15 Ltd as night shots with streetlight starbursts are always in the back of my mind, probably need a light weight tripod too though.
Unless you just buy a cheap one and leave it behind after.
I'd take the 100mm macro too as I wouldn't be without mine.
If you have the budget, I'd buy a used 60-250mm and just sell it on afterwards, great iq from that, and leave the 300mm at home.
Enjoy your travels,
Do you know where in Ireland you will be heading to ?
Derek
Great advice.
Also hard to leave the house without my DFA100...

No idea on Ireland yet, it's just on our list.
We are planning everything this Friday.

---------- Post added 02-07-18 at 09:38 AM ----------

ok, so...

Between the HD DA20-40 and the Sigma 17-50...

I know they are totally different beasts, but what's the "better" option for my trip?

I could always sell them after the trip, so cost isn't really a huge concern, but still not trying to spend a whole lotta $$$
02-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Between the HD DA20-40 and the Sigma 17-50...

I know they are totally different beasts, but what's the "better" option for my trip?
If you take the 15 (and I definitely would), then the 20-40 would be a perfect walk-around replacement for the 35 Limited. It would give you the wriggle room of a zoom and add weather resistance. You would still have the 100 for close-up stuff.

The 16-85 and Sigma 17-50 are both BIG lenses. The 20-40 is positively svelte by comparison.