Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First time to Europe this summer - what to bring?

My wife and I are heading to Europe this summer - will be my first time, while she used to live in Italy while studying abroad.

My current gear list:
K-3ii
DA* 300
HD 1.4xTC
DFA 100mm macro
HD DA 35mm Macro
HD DA 70mm
SMC DA 15mm

General advice on my travels is welcomed too... But mainly I'm curious to hear the community's opinions on lens selection for this trip.

We are going to be in Ireland (not sure where yet), Barcelona and Rome/Florence/Naples.
Likely 3-4 days in each location.

I had a gift card left over to Nordstrom and they had a Thule Covert Backpack on there so I picked one of those up this week.
I'll likely pack that thing full with everything I've got and buy a little Joby flex tripod for the trip so I don't haul my Benro around the entire time...

I'd like to avoid swapping lenses constantly, but I'm a prime shooter (as you can see above).
Nothing against zoom lenses. I just love the lenses I own for particular reasons and have failed to find a zoom lens yet to rival the IQ I am getting now.

If there is a lens I should consider picking up/trading towards for this trip please let me know!
For reference, I used to own the 18-135 and was never really pleased with the IQ of that lens. So if you recommend a zoom, it would need to top that.

I'm considering the 10-17 or the 12-24 because I'd imagine wide angle shots will present themselves frequently?
I'd also imagine the 300 not getting much use, but I'm bringing it!
I've already come across previous events where I wish I had it and it could have easily squeezed into the bag...

So... Any takers?

Lens suggestions?
Accessories suggestions?
Common sense items I may have forgotten?

Cheers all!

02-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally with your predisposition and lenses I would take the whole lot, minus the 300. The 100 plus 1.4x cropped should give good results for telephoto needs and keep weight down.

My own preferences would lead me to different solutions.
02-04-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Personally with your predisposition and lenses I would take the whole lot, minus the 300. The 100 plus 1.4x cropped should give good results for telephoto needs and keep weight down.

My own preferences would lead me to different solutions.
Thanks!
I'm wearing of leaving the 300 behind since I'm primarily a wildlife shooter... But I've never been to Europe and rarely shoot in urban environments so maybe leaving it behind will force me to broaden my photographic eye and learn to shoot wider angles
02-04-2018, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My first time in Europe was in ʻ89 when I turned 30. I was visually overwhelmed. As an "American" used to driving everywhere, I didnʻt realize how much walking I would do. Because of that, even when I was younger and in better shape, I would only take with me a minimum of gear.

IF I were you, I would take your 35mm prime and have the 15mm in the camera bag. I think it would suffice instead of the wide angle zooms youʻre considering. If you really think you want more of a range, then Iʻd get the 16-85mm zoom and leave the rest in the hotel room or at home. Keep it simple and keep it light. Less to worry about, protect, neck strain, etc.

02-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I agree that the 16-85 would cover a substantial range of scenarios without having to carry or change multiple lenses. The 300 with the 1.4 TC for dedicated telephoto might be a supplement just in case you encounter an interesting wildlife situation.

I have the 16-85 and it is excellent.
02-04-2018, 10:22 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For my two trips to europe that I can remember the details of photographically. I took my K100D and the 18-55 and 50-200 combo to Paris long long ago. I used the 50-200 for closeups of distant architecture details - things like gargoyles cut out of a scene. The vast majority of the shots were made with the 18-55. For a more recent trip that included London, Bath, and Paris I took my Panasonic LX-7 - but on that trip I had two kids, a mentally handicapped brother in law, a father in law and my wife along. That trip also had me lugging two laptops and assorted other gear pushing my backpack well over sane limits. The Panasonic has a full frame equivalent range of 20-90mm with an actual (not equivalent) f stop of 1.4-2.3 which made for a pretty nice little package. I would love to go back and take more capable gear but I'm not sure what I would actually take. If I were to have to take my Pentax gear I would opt for my K-3 (or get a KP) and my SMC DA 15, my DA 18-135, and a backup like the Panasonic LX-7 just in case. Why nothing fast? I just proved to myself that even the LX-7 with a tiny sensor with poor ISO could work so I think I can make the f/3.5-5.6 range fly. The ISO performance of the K-3 (let alone the K-P would more than make up for the slower lenses). Also shallow depth of field isn't something I need in most of the shots I would take there (mainly landscape and architecture and a few portraits. My experience shooting in the middle range of the DA 18-135 tells me that it can provide stunning portraits as long as you manipulate the background enough or don't mind cropping out any distracting background details. In the end I might still toss a faster lens in like the F 50 f/1.7 or the FA 35 f/2. I would leave the FA 31, FA 77 combo home however as theft is a real concern.

A word of advice - stay very very vigilant near the Eiffel tower. The plaza is overrun with pick pockets. They work in teams and often young girls ask you to fill out surveys while someone else steals you blind. Learn a few french phrases to tell them to leave you alone. I tended to say very blunt things like GO AWAY in my bad french. Frankly I stay away from there and spend my time in more pleasant areas and backwater places.

If you want to see unedited SOOC jpgs from paris and london here are links to my pictures from my last trip made with the LX-7 - be kind these are uncurated and unedited:

Les Invalides | Flickr
Rodin Museum | Flickr
Musée d'Orsay - Paris Day 4 | Flickr
Notre Dame / St. Chapelle / Roman Ruins | Flickr
Churchill War Rooms | Flickr
St. James Park / Green Park / Buckingham Palace | Flickr
Covent Garden | Flickr
Portabello Road Market & Westminster | Flickr
Tower of London | Flickr
Stonehenge & Bath | Flickr
02-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For my two trips to europe that I can remember the details of photographically. I took my K100D and the 18-55 and 50-200 combo to Paris long long ago. I used the 50-200 for closeups of distant architecture details - things like gargoyles cut out of a scene. The vast majority of the shots were made with the 18-55. For a more recent trip that included London, Bath, and Paris I took my Panasonic LX-7 - but on that trip I had two kids, a mentally handicapped brother in law, a father in law and my wife along. That trip also had me lugging two laptops and assorted other gear pushing my backpack well over sane limits. The Panasonic has a full frame equivalent range of 20-90mm with an actual (not equivalent) f stop of 1.4-2.3 which made for a pretty nice little package. I would love to go back and take more capable gear but I'm not sure what I would actually take. If I were to have to take my Pentax gear I would opt for my K-3 (or get a KP) and my SMC DA 15, my DA 18-135, and a backup like the Panasonic LX-7 just in case. Why nothing fast? I just proved to myself that even the LX-7 with a tiny sensor with poor ISO could work so I think I can make the f/3.5-5.6 range fly. The ISO performance of the K-3 (let alone the K-P would more than make up for the slower lenses). Also shallow depth of field isn't something I need in most of the shots I would take there (mainly landscape and architecture and a few portraits. My experience shooting in the middle range of the DA 18-135 tells me that it can provide stunning portraits as long as you manipulate the background enough or don't mind cropping out any distracting background details. In the end I might still toss a faster lens in like the F 50 f/1.7 or the FA 35 f/2. I would leave the FA 31, FA 77 combo home however as theft is a real concern.

A word of advice - stay very very vigilant near the Eiffel tower. The plaza is overrun with pick pockets. They work in teams and often young girls ask you to fill out surveys while someone else steals you blind. Learn a few french phrases to tell them to leave you alone. I tended to say very blunt things like GO AWAY in my bad french. Frankly I stay away from there and spend my time in more pleasant areas and backwater places.

If you want to see unedited SOOC jpgs from paris and london here are links to my pictures from my last trip made with the LX-7 - be kind these are uncurated and unedited:

Les Invalides | Flickr
Rodin Museum | Flickr
Musée d'Orsay - Paris Day 4 | Flickr
Notre Dame / St. Chapelle / Roman Ruins | Flickr
Churchill War Rooms | Flickr
St. James Park / Green Park / Buckingham Palace | Flickr
Covent Garden | Flickr
Portabello Road Market & Westminster | Flickr
Tower of London | Flickr
Stonehenge & Bath | Flickr

02-04-2018, 10:45 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 15mm and the 35mm are your best choices, you will be in cities, leave the 300mm at home.
02-04-2018, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
The 15mm and the 35mm are your best choices, you will be in cities, leave the 300mm at home.
That, plus the 70. I was going to suggest the 100 macro instead, but I don't think bugs or flowers will be high-priority on the trip, and you'll have the 35 macro if pressed.

If you can get the 12-24, that would be good, even instead of the 15.

I took an 8-day vacation in New York City where 70 was the longest FL I had. I only really wanted something longer about once.
02-04-2018, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

For EU, I'd bring a Pentax K1 with a DFA15-30 for architecture.
02-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #11

Anymore than two lenses will be a regrettable burden. 15 and 70.
02-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whenever I photograph the inside of churches I like to use my 24mm (although I recently acquired a 10-17 which is gorgeous, however you do have the distortion to deal with). Around the mean streets of Lancaster my go to is my SMC da 35mm. So, as you love your primes, 15mm & 35mm would fit the bill. Now, what is your budget for new kit? If it is tight you could pick up a 50-200mm for relatively little. I believe it is a good lens in the right hands (mine were evidently wrong) and it is a compact and Weather resistant walk around. If however you have a bit more cash then go for the 55-300 plm. You will need a longer walk around for the wide open spaces in Ireland, where you may see some wildlife, and also if you fancy doing a bit of gargoyle hunting. Also the plm is a nice addition. Another thing you possibly need to think about is a WR option. Ireland is beautiful, but there is a reason why it is so green!

On the subject of Barcelona, get a T10 or a Hola Bcn ticket to get around, get off the metro at drasannes and head off la rambla into the gothic quarter. Be savvy where pickpockets are concerned. Visit la Sagrada Familia, it is stunning, also, try to be there near sunset as it brings out the colours of the stone (buy your ticket in advance). Use the hop on hop off buses, they are better in Barcelona than in many other European cities and make sure you don’t miss the Magic Fountains of Montjuic. This is a nice place to visit at any time as the views from the top are spectacular. The fountain show itself is completely free and frankly wonderful.

Enjoy
02-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Watch out for pickpockets in Barcelona as well. Particularly in Las Ramblas and Metro stations. In the Metro they work in groups and block the train doorways to make it difficult to get past them and use coats to disguise their actions. I caught one trying to open my bum bag and told him in no uncertain terms to cease and pushed past. The whole group left the train at the next stop and waved as the train pulled away. Just be aware.

02-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As it's your first time in Europe, you'll want to create some travelogue photos to remind you of the places and sights. A lot of the time, you'll want a wide lens to capture the scale as well as the visual delight of the buildings and their interiors. 3-4 days in each place, however, is enough to take in the atmosphere and obtain your record shots, and to start to capture some of the detail that exists in abundance, which can provide you with the opportunity to make pictures that are interesting in themselves, as distinct from just the subject. Nonetheless, your time will be limited, so I'd advise you to read about the cities you're visiting and pick out the major buildings or precincts in advance, but plan some time to wander also, because the people and their activities can be just as interesting as the static subjects.

If you're planning to take your K-3ii (a good choice, if for no other reason than it's lighter than a K-1, for example) a good wide zoom is advisable. On APS-C gear, I found my DA*16-50 to be more than adequate for most situations. While wider can be good (I have also used the DA14 and DA15 for travel photos) the effects of wide-angle perspective don't always support good images, either for pictorial or record purposes. If you want really wide, which I find to be very little of the time, you can always stitch in post. I don't find long focal-range zooms to be satisfactory, because of the compromises in IQ at some focal lengths, but you can spend a lot of time in post to make up for their shortcomings, if that's what you want to do. If you want some more reach, though, the DA18-135 is a good compromise when stopped down.

Even though I took my K-1 and FA Limiteds, with the FA20 and FA*24 to supplement them, on a recent trip to Europe, I also took my Fujifilm X30 for the days when I simply couldn't manage (or be bothered) to lug around the weight of the Pentax gear. In its defence, I also found that the lightweight FA43 was good to take some days as a single lens on the K-1, the equivalent of which would be a 28 on your K-3ii, though there isn't one with equivalent maximum aperture in the Pentax stable, used or new.
02-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

hope this helps

never been to Europe but I suggest this approach

what is it you expect to be photographing and make your equipment decisions based on that

I don't really think of wildlife photographic opportunities in Europe but perhaps I am ignorant if not do you need a long lens?

a long lens would help if you are taking candid photos and you don't want your subject to be aware of your actions

a fast prime ( aperture ) would be a priority in case you are taking photos in low light or where flash photography is not permitted

are you expecting landscape photography opportunities

other suggestions - take a look at insurance coverage, I have a " personal articles " rider on my home owner's insurance policy which covers loss or damage even if it happens outside of the country

I like my HD 1.4xTC, DFA 100mm 2.8 macro, DA 40mm 2.8 XS, 16-85mm and SMC 21mm F3.2 limited

YMMV