Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #1

my uncle´s photo camera... prices?

Hello!

I am looking for some guidance, my uncle is wanting to sell his whole photografic analogic equipmente.
I am asking for possible prices:

Asahi PEntax Spotmatic Camera with Asahi lenses:
28mm
55mm
135mm
500 mm

If yoy have any advice, thanks!!! Nice Day!

02-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should specify what exactly the equipment is.
For example, is the camera a Spotmatic SP500 or a different version?
Are the lenses Takumar, Super Tak or SMC? What is the widest aperture? If the 55mm lens is 1:1.4 it will be worth more than a 1:1.8 or 1:2.2.
You can find the information on the camera and lenses.
Then you need to check condition, is the glass totally clean and clear? Do all the mechanical parts work smoothly, any dents or scratches?
If you look at the sold equipment on Ebay as well as the prices paid on the forum (to a smaller degree) you will find some help there as to current values.
02-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All lenses are pretty common except for the 500mm, so not a lot. Check the lens database: Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
02-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

There are no simple or straight answers here. The lenses listed were available for very long time - literally decades. Hence there a lots of variations and prices vary a great deal.

Even age does not always determine the price. Sometimes earlier is better and sometimes the opposite. Earlier models might fetch higher prices because of rarity and later ones produce better image quality, but even this does not always hold true.

For example, the 55mm f/1.4 came were built with eight elements for a short while and from then on with seven elements. The eight element one is rare and more expensive (and is said to have better images quality).

The Takumar lenses got Super Multi Coating (SMC) during the last few years of production. In general, they are more highly regarded than the earlier ones.

The condition also determines the price. To fetch top dollar, the glass should be clean and should not be any nasties like fungus or haze inside. The aperture and focus rings should work smoothly. The old Takumars were very well made, so that is seldom a problem.

If you can post some pictures, better answers can be given.

02-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the lens employs SMC, it will have that printed on the lens. The info is most often around the edge of lens, just off the front lens element. You need to provide all the info just as it is printed. I also agree that the long telephoto lens, the 500mm has the most potential for a higher value, but some others might have some worth as well.

Selling each item separately is likely to bring the best results.
02-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Even without photos, a few generalities apply:
  • Unless there is a standout feature, maximum value for any model Spotmatic (body only) would be on the order of about $45-$50 USD
  • Stand-out features would include black body in exceptional condition and/or motor drive capable. Value in either case would be to the enthusiast/collector market and is unpredictable.
  • All of the lenses listed are very-good to excellent performers, but none except the 500mm would be worth more than $50-$75 in very-good to excellent condition with those labeled SMC or S-M-C being at the higher end of the value spread.
  • Value of the 500mm would be to the enthusiast/collector market and would be unpredictable
I would offer the body plus 55mm, 28mm, and 135mm as a bundle and the 500mm separately. Alternatively, offer the body plus 55mm together and the other items separately. The body will be difficult to move by itself unless it is exceptional.

I own a few items from your list and here is what I paid (all within last five years):
  • Spotmatic (fair condition, but fully operational): free with lens purchase
  • Spotmatic II (Ex+): $45
  • S-M-C Takumar 28mm f/3.5 (Ex): $60
  • Super-Takumar 55mm f/1.8 (Ex-): $25
  • Super-Takumar 55mm f/1.8 (v. good): $35
Good luck.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-07-2018 at 02:09 PM.
02-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum

by following this link

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

you may be able to find the lenses you have

I would start looking at the " M 42 " lenses if your lenses have a screw mount

at the bottom of this chart

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

you will find explanations which might help you decide what you have

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-07-2018 at 02:08 PM.
02-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you post a picture of the gear, we should be able to ID it for you. Then, you can see typical pricing in our lens database or marketplace section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't there another gear bag there with an A*135/1.8 and an A*200/4 Macro?
02-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Assuming the 500mm lens is SMC and in good condition both cosmetically and optically, it could fetch $350 USD. That was the price I sold mine for few years ago.