Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2018, 08:52 PM   #16

I've been exploring the lens line up.
I have the 15 and 70.

Also have the 21, Sigma 30, 35 ltd, and FA50 1.7.
If I could pick only one to go with the other two it'd be the 35.
The 30 F1.4 is also an excellent choice but I think I prefer the handling of the 35 over the two stop speed advantage.

The 21 is pretty sweet too.

You're in a great spot right now. ( :

02-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

I'll go for the 35mm macro, if I were you. It's an exceptional lens.
02-07-2018, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

Have had some time with the DA*55 now (pretty much polar-winter still here, so only terribly low light/flash photos) and even in utterly horrible lighting, it is nearly impossible to take bad photos with it. I would recommend highly. Haven't tried the 35mm macro though, but I really like the focal length with my DA(L)35 f2.4 on the crop sensor for walk-around photography and short portraits. Only thing I cant imagine with the 1:1 macro on the 35mm is the short focal distance needed. It's pretty hard to get near enough to macro-wildlife with the 90mm+1.4tc for me . This is only from wildlife point-of-view, I guess.
02-07-2018, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #19
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From 15 mm to 70 mm, there is quite a gap in focal length range. Assuming that price is not an issue, I would recommend to consider two additional lensed on your lens buying plan:

Option 1 : FA31 mm f1.8 Ltd & DA*55mm f1.4

Option 2: FA31mm Ltd & Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4

All the above are outstanding lenses and work very nicely on the K-3.

You may consider the FA31mm for now and think of a 55-58mm next.

My 5 cents...

Last edited by hcc; 02-08-2018 at 12:10 PM.
02-08-2018, 12:33 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
for me

one of the questions would be what I was attempting to photograph
Asley fox its not a matter of what I am attempting to photograph really, It's a more like it's handy to have another prime, I'm not going to have the lens attached to my camera all the time.

---------- Post added 02-08-18 at 04:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Hardly, That's just a capability.

Enjoy these ... Theory on DA 35mm ltd 'greatest lens ever' (?) tag - PentaxForums.com
Ok then thank you Clackers and everyone else it looks like the 35mm DA F/2.8 looks the way to go? Any thoughts on sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM and Sigma 35mm (Art) F/1.4 DG HSM
02-08-2018, 01:00 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

If you already have the 100 macro then I wouldn’t go for the 35macro. Either the 31ltd or 43ltd is calling your name
Of course the thing I always recomend is to go have a look at lots of photos of the lenses you are considering, that way you find your own subjective happy place!
02-08-2018, 01:10 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
If you already have the 100 macro then I wouldn’t go for the 35macro. Either the 31ltd or 43ltd is calling your name
Of course the thing I always recomend is to go have a look at lots of photos of the lenses you are considering, that way you find your own subjective happy place!
Rob, i see what you mean, but both those lenses (the 31ltd and the 43ltd) are quite a bit more than the 35mm macro F2.8 ltd (the old one has the green ring you can't get any more) the current one has the red ring and is rated better.

02-08-2018, 02:44 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
Asley fox its not a matter of what I am attempting to photograph really, It's a more like it's handy to have another prime, I'm not going to have the lens attached to my camera all the time.
sounds like a perfectly good reason to buy photography equipment to me

sorry I have no personal experience to offer you regarding the lenses you are asking about
02-08-2018, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Rob, i see what you mean, but both those lenses (the 31ltd and the 43ltd) are quite a bit more than the 35mm macro F2.8 ltd (the old one has the green ring you can't get any more) the current one has the red ring and is rated better.
The 31ltd is certainly pricey but the 43ltd is only a bit more than the 35ltd. Pentax smc PENTAX-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited Lens (Black) 20180 B&H

The 35ltd is a lovely lens of course, all the limited are wonderful lenses. The thing is if you get the lens you really like it means you dont lust after other lenses nearly as much!
02-08-2018, 02:59 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

you still might find a SMC version vs the newer HD version as an " experienced " lens if you want the SMC version

Recently, I was able to find a like new SMC version of the 21mm F3.2 Limited via the market place here at the forum

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-08-2018 at 03:06 AM.
02-08-2018, 03:11 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
The 31ltd is certainly pricey but the 43ltd is only a bit more than the 35ltd. Pentax smc PENTAX-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited Lens (Black) 20180 B&H

The 35ltd is a lovely lens of course, all the limited are wonderful lenses. The thing is if you get the lens you really like it means you dont lust after other lenses nearly as much!
Robmitchell, thanks for the info, I'm a bit hesitant to buy from the USA, sometimes the pricing is good but the very poor exchange rate with the aussie dollar plus the expensive shipping and then you don't get local warranty either. DCXperth has a deal going now the 43mm is $152 dearer.
02-08-2018, 03:46 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It *is* a matter of what you want to photograph. For portraiture on a crop camera, the DA*55 is a much better lens than the FA43 in my humble opinion (and I have them both). It is also much better for landscape work, especially for panoramic stitches. Don't forget the DA21/3.2 Limited either....

If you have the 100 macro I would not bust a gut for the 35 Limited. I have both of them too.

If you want a fast normal on crop the FA31 (which I have) is the gold standard in Pentax Land, or if price is an issue the DA35/2.4 or FA35/2.0 - I have used neither but the images I have seen leave me in no doubt of their quality.
02-08-2018, 04:34 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It *is* a matter of what you want to photograph. For portraiture on a crop camera, the DA*55 is a much better lens than the FA43 in my humble opinion (and I have them both). It is also much better for landscape work, especially for panoramic stitches. Don't forget the DA21/3.2 Limited either....

If you have the 100 macro I would not bust a gut for the 35 Limited. I have both of them too.

If you want a fast normal on crop the FA31 (which I have) is the gold standard in Pentax Land, or if price is an issue the DA35/2.4 or FA35/2.0 - I have used neither but the images I have seen leave me in no doubt of their quality.
Ok everyone what is the real difference between the:
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm f2.8 macro limited (green ring)
HD Pentax-DA 35mm f2.8 macro limited apart (red ring)
Thanks for everyone's input.
02-08-2018, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

you might want to review this:

HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction

HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

" In addition, the HD 35mm should be commended as it does a much better job on handling hotspots than the SMC 35mm and it exhibits virtually no ghosting whatsoever, two traits that are desirable for night photography. "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-limited-primes/conclusion.html#ixzz56W3uxBCg

" During everyday shooting, you will most likely not be able ot tell the SMC Limiteds apart from the HD Limiteds. So, if you find a bargain on an SMC lens, or if you simply prefer the old lettering style, you shouldn't hold back. On the other hand, if you often shoot in harsh lighting or sunny environments, then you might want to step up to the HD lenses for their improved coating. The SMC lenses are discontinued, so chances are that they will only be available second-hand in 2014 and beyond. "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-limited-primes/conclusion.html#ixzz56W3HHzua

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-08-2018 at 04:43 AM.
02-08-2018, 04:46 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For al intents and purposes, nothing. HD coating, curved aperture baldes, yada yada yada.

I have the HD, but that is only because I was late to the party.