Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2018, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am surprised that no one recommended the DA 40 ltd or DA 40xs. I have the FA 35 and FA 31 LTD as well as the DA 15, 40, and 70. The lenses are all nice, but with the 15/70 and your budget the 40 fits in quite nicely. It also is exceptionally small and makes for a nice albeit long normal lens.

02-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I suggest the 43ltd, used prices are good. The wider aperture is a great benefit!
If that one stop speed (and a little) does not matter for you, then I would choose the DA35 because of the wider field of view.
(I have the 31ltd, 43ltd, DA35 non macro, DA*55)
02-08-2018, 07:56 AM   #33
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I am surprised that no one recommended the DA 40 ltd or DA 40xs. I have the FA 35 and FA 31 LTD as well as the DA 15, 40, and 70. The lenses are all nice, but with the 15/70 and your budget the 40 fits in quite nicely. It also is exceptionally small and makes for a nice albeit long normal lens.
Another big plus for the 40 is its tiny size. Never any reason to leave it behind. (Not that the FA 43 is much bigger.)

Apart from that, the differences between the SMC and HD versions are minimal. I prefer the old SMC version of the 15 and 21, but for the others I'd go for the lowest price (and pick the HD version if both cost the same).
02-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't really like 35mm focal length on crop (never shot full frame). 50mm on crop is a nice portraits focal length and I think 55mm would be as well. I like the images I have seen from the 55. So that's where I would go.

Something fast between 25mm and 30mm, on crop, is my kind of party. 35mm always feels just tight enough to not be wide, just wide enough to not allow for good subject isolation. Feels clumsy. I've got a DA 35 f2.4 which I kind of want to try on film but I don't need another project right now.

02-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I don't really like 35mm focal length on crop (never shot full frame).
I don't like it on full frame either. it just seems to be a really weird focal length. I have 7 ways to get 35mm including primes and zooms, an I don't really like any of them.

There are 1500 images in my current library, 44 of them are 35mm or close to it. Considering most of those were taken with zooms, me spending money on a 35mm prime would probably be a waste of money. I've heard it argued that 35mm is not really wide angle on an FF, I'd confirm that. And it's certainly not on APS_c.

On the other hand , if you don't have any modern zooms that cover 35mm, like the 16-85 or 28-105, maybe you want one. If you don't have a few zooms to analyze your shooting decisions, I don't know how you would even evaluate such things.
02-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since I'm basically a crop brain trying to convert, it would be about like a 24mm prime on crop, to have 35mm on full, per the 1.5x crop factor. That sounds outstanding. For street shooting, for dark places like concerts and bars, the DA 35 f2.4 seems great... on a film body. But do I really want to get another camera where I have to spend money on film and processing when I'm not shooting much these days? Hard sell.

Not that I haven't trolled ebay for going rates on good condition ZX-L's with thoughts of high speed B&W film dancing in my head.
02-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would go for the 55mm f/1.4. The closest I have is the M 50mm f/1.4. The wide aperture is marvellous for low light photography or creating bokeh.
02-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You beat me to it! I am also surprised this far in and no real recommendations for the 40 Limited. The 35 macro limited is a great lens but if you do not need macro at that focal length the 40 limited would be a better choice in my opinion also!

02-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
Ok everyone what is the real difference between the:
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm f2.8 macro limited (green ring)
HD Pentax-DA 35mm f2.8 macro limited apart (red ring)
Somebody already posts a link to "HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes", that's a very good place to begin with.
Besides what said on that page, to me 15, 21 and 35 ltd are better with the SMC version. I most likely use these 3 for cityscapes day and night. And the 15, 21, 35 SMC version offers a more beautiful “starburst effect”.
Note that, 35 SMC is on my next to buy list (but not in hurry) and I used to have FA35 and F28. Both FA35 and F28 are very good too, but I like night cityscape photography, 35 SMC seem to offer better-looking starburst. anyway,I prefer 21mm over 35mm focal range.

- edit -

Since you also mentioned about 55*, I in-fact want that lens too. I went to test it many times in store. I really like it. I think you won’t disappoint with either one of them.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 02-08-2018 at 04:29 PM.
02-08-2018, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
Robmitchell, thanks for the info, I'm a bit hesitant to buy from the USA, sometimes the pricing is good but the very poor exchange rate with the aussie dollar plus the expensive shipping and then you don't get local warranty either. DCXperth has a deal going now the 43mm is $152 dearer.
I brought quite a few of my lenses from B&H without issue. Not much can go wrong with a screw drive lens. Cameras I have always brought locally in Aus.
02-08-2018, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

I would get the 31.

"I'm not going to have the lens attached to my camera all the time."

Not if you get the 31.
02-08-2018, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't have a "nifty fifty" (or 55) you should IMO. If I was looking for a 50 in AF I would lean towards an F or FA 50 f/1.7 because of the cost. If you have any interest in manual focus, the M 50 f/1.7 can be had for a song and it is a fine lens.

Another approach: The DA 35 Ltd Macro is going for great prices on the used market. You could probably get both a used DA 35 and an F or FA 50 f/1.7 for about the same cash as the DA*55.
02-08-2018, 10:11 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got an F 50 1.7 and a DA 50 1.8 on my shelf. I can't see any reason to get an F 50 1.7 over the DA. The person I bought them both from together, as a pair, said the DA 50 1.8 vignetted less on his K-1 than the F 50 1.7 did. The ONLY advantage to the F 50 is that it has an aperture ring, and any time that ring has an A on it, I use it. Reserve macro is the only thing I can think of where I wouldn't use the A if I had a body that could utilize it.

The DA 50 1.8 punches well above its weight.
02-09-2018, 02:07 AM   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
you might want to review this:

HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction

HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

" In addition, the HD 35mm should be commended as it does a much better job on handling hotspots than the SMC 35mm and it exhibits virtually no ghosting whatsoever, two traits that are desirable for night photography. "

Read more at: HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

" During everyday shooting, you will most likely not be able ot tell the SMC Limiteds apart from the HD Limiteds. So, if you find a bargain on an SMC lens, or if you simply prefer the old lettering style, you shouldn't hold back. On the other hand, if you often shoot in harsh lighting or sunny environments, then you might want to step up to the HD lenses for their improved coating. The SMC lenses are discontinued, so chances are that they will only be available second-hand in 2014 and beyond. "

Read more at: HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Thank you Fox that was informative.

---------- Post added 02-09-18 at 06:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't like it on full frame either. it just seems to be a really weird focal length. I have 7 ways to get 35mm including primes and zooms, an I don't really like any of them.

There are 1500 images in my current library, 44 of them are 35mm or close to it. Considering most of those were taken with zooms, me spending money on a 35mm prime would probably be a waste of money. I've heard it argued that 35mm is not really wide angle on an FF, I'd confirm that. And it's certainly not on APS_c.

On the other hand , if you don't have any modern zooms that cover 35mm, like the 16-85 or 28-105, maybe you want one. If you don't have a few zooms to analyze your shooting decisions, I don't know how you would even evaluate such things.
[/COLOR]I'm not sure why anyone has not mentioned any sigma or Tamron lenses? I did not want it to be a purely Pentax only Post

Last edited by JASMAZ77; 02-12-2018 at 04:12 AM. Reason: keeping it friendly
02-09-2018, 04:13 AM   #45
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
I'm not sure why anyone has not mentioned any sigma or Tamron lenses? I did not want it to be a purely Pentax only Post
You kind of made the post Purely Pentax when defining it "Primes for a Pentax DSLR"? I mean ... what did you expect the recommendations would be
There's no denying that (Ltd) Primes are the bread and butter of Pentax.