Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2018, 09:05 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The thing is, the 15 on crop isn't really *that* wide. I've had times in places like museums where I wish it had been a 14 or 13mm optic. I love the DA 15 and believe it is a top five reason to own a crop body Pentax camera (and if I had a K-1 fall into my lap, I could see the 1:1 Crop Mode being nice with that lens).

Hearing about other options is not a bad thing.

02-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
Ok please remain on topic, its gone onto a wide-angle lens review now I already have a 15mm ltd thanks.
What's the topic again?

QuoteQuote:
In everyone's opinion if I was to get another Pentax or sigma prime lens (i already have the 15mm limited and the 70mm limited) which other prime lens would you suggest?

The HD Pentax-DA 35mm F/2.8 or the DA*55mm 1.4 sdm or others?

Note: I am also looking at Tamron and Sigma Lenses as well! also considering a small zoom lens at fixed aperature ie: 17-50mm F/2.8

Thanks in Advance
I reread this, it didn't help.

Maybe you can better define the question.

You want to discuss lenses between what and what focal length, prime or fixed aperture zoom. (The only candidate for that being the DA 20-40 ltd.) And what is it you want discussed? Centre sharpness? Edge to edge sharpness? Out of focus areas rendition? Whole image rendering? Color cast, wide open performance? ƒ5.6 to ƒ8 performance? Flare resistance? AF speed?

What's the intended use? Portraits, landscapes, event phogrpahy, nature/wildlife, macro, astro -photgraphy, walk around?

The original post is vague... no one has a clue what the topic is.

We aren't likely to stay on topic in any case , but a little more guidance might help.

There is a section of lens reviews. Everyone there stays on topic.

Last edited by normhead; 02-09-2018 at 09:30 AM.
02-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #63

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Last edited by JASMAZ77; 02-12-2018 at 04:20 AM. Reason: comment not required
02-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Done with this thread. Good luck.

02-09-2018, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #65
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Norm you are annoying me now, the topic is about prime lenses and which one to get next, you change the subject by going into wide-angle lenses and talking about 8-16mm sigma.
Jason, I think what Norm is trying to do (in his wry humour style ) is find out more about what you intend to do with the lens, and what qualities you want from it.

If you want to take portrait shots, that suggests at least a 50mm lens (or longer), and probably one with quite a wide aperture - or a zoom that covers at least 50mm but probably longer, and a fast constant aperture. For street photography, you might do well with a wide angle between 18mm and 28mm. If you want something for general use in a wide range of situations, 28mm to 50mm might be more appropriate - or perhaps even a zoom such as a 17-50mm or 16-85mm.

Does that make sense?
02-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Norm you are annoying me now, the topic is about prime lenses and which one to get next, you change the subject by going into wide-angle lenses and talking about 8-16mm sigma.
Are you always this nasty to folks trying to help you out?

Define exactly the focal lengths you are interested in, and the characteristics you are looking for. Don't make us guess and then get on our case when we guess wrong.
02-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #67

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Jason, I think what Norm is trying to do (in his wry humour style ) is find out more about what you intend to do with the lens, and what qualities you want from it.

If you want to take portrait shots, that suggests at least a 50mm lens (or longer), and probably one with quite a wide aperture - or a zoom that covers at least 50mm but probably longer, and a fast constant aperture. For street photography, you might do well with a wide angle between 18mm and 28mm. If you want something for general use in a wide range of situations, 28mm to 50mm might be more appropriate - or perhaps even a zoom such as a 17-50mm or 16-85mm.

Does that make sense?
Thank you Bigmack.
Your post about the lenses is good, To answer your question I think I would go for a general use lens as I can use my 70mm ltd for portraits, im thinking now i might go for a good used 35mm ltd smc (green ring) and maybe a HD 40 ltd new (as they are on special here in aussie land)
Thank you for your help.

Last edited by JASMAZ77; 02-09-2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Keeping it friendly :)
02-09-2018, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #68
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Bigmack.
Your post about the lenses is good, To answer your question I think I would go for a general use lens as I can use my 70mm ltd for portraits, im thinking now i might go for a good used 35mm ltd smc (green ring) and maybe a HD 40 ltd new (as they are on special here in aussie land)
Thank you for your help.
You're welcome

Both the DA35 Macro Limited and DA40 Limited are fine choices. Some would say that you don't need both, but I find them different enough to like both individually. 35mm is a great general purpose focal length on APS-C. If sometimes find 40mm just a little too long for general use, but not significantly, and the size of the DA40 Limited is very appealing... it makes for a lovely compact setup with the K-3
02-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #69

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You're welcome

Both the DA35 Macro Limited and DA40 Limited are fine choices. Some would say that you don't need both, but I find them different enough to like both individually. 35mm is a great general purpose focal length on APS-C. If sometimes find 40mm just a little too long for general use, but not significantly, and the size of the DA40 Limited is very appealing... it makes for a lovely compact setup with the K-3
Hmmm, I'm thinking now do I need both? they are so close in size, it really surprises me how flat the "pancake" 40ltd is like how does it work being that thin?
02-09-2018, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #70
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm, I'm thinking now do I need both? they are so close in size, it really surprises me how flat the "pancake" 40ltd is like how does it work being that thin?
I would choose one or the other and use it for a few months first. Then, you can always add the second one if you wish, try that for a while, and decide whether you want to keep both or sell one of them - which should be easy to do, as they're both popular lenses with a ready market

The DA35 Macro Limited is arguably the more versatile lens due to its field of view (which is very similar to a 50mm on full-frame), and the very close focusing "macro" capability. But, the DA40 Limited is great fun to use and is really compact - so small that you can always find room for it in your camera bag, or one of your jacket pockets.

If you look at 40mm f/2.8 lenses for other manufacturers' systems (e.g. Canon), you'll find others that are small "pancake" models too. The focal length, relative simplicity of optical design, and average maximum aperture all influence the resulting size of lens...
02-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #71

Original Poster
Interesting! thank you for the information.
02-09-2018, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #72
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I will again offer the DA 40 F2.8 XS as a good possibility.

DA 40 XS the "Flat Wonder Club" - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

I believe it can be found new and or " experienced " at a cheaper price than the DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

by going to this link

Lens Sample Photo Archive - PentaxForums.com

the OP will find posts which are sample photos from members using " known " lenses

this thread has many great photos using primes but is not organized at all

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/291019-pri...ere-prime.html

in my experience, threads go wild in any forum

I always hope that when I start a thread, not only will I get helped but also other members who view the thread so the " wildness " of threads aren't that much of a problem for me

others may have different view points.

as was mentioned, the more pages a thread accumulates, the better the chance that " wildness " will occur

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-09-2018 at 03:33 PM.
02-09-2018, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #73
Veteran Member

Jasma, When Norm mentioned the DA 20-40 it is really like two or three primes in one. There was a post that linked to a guy who felt you should think of it as a 20 and a 40mm prime. His hypothesis was that people usually use their zooms at one end or the other of the range, generally one end and very few uses in the middle of the range. So the 20-40 is at least 2 primes.
I have the 20-40 as well as the DA 15 and today acquired a Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC used. It is a bit bigger than my DA35 2.4 but they both are very sharp and nice to use. The 20-40 is a way to get the equivalent of 3 Limiteds, the 21, 31, and 40. Save cash by buying one.

I also have the 40XS and have a great deal of affection for that lens also.
02-10-2018, 04:09 AM   #74

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I will again offer the DA 40 F2.8 XS as a good possibility.

DA 40 XS the "Flat Wonder Club" - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

I believe it can be found new and or " experienced " at a cheaper price than the DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

by going to this link

Lens Sample Photo Archive - PentaxForums.com

the OP will find posts which are sample photos from members using " known " lenses

this thread has many great photos using primes but is not organized at all

prime, prime, everywhere a prime... - PentaxForums.com

in my experience, threads go wild in any forum

I always hope that when I start a thread, not only will I get helped but also other members who view the thread so the " wildness " of threads aren't that much of a problem for me

others may have different view points.

as was mentioned, the more pages a thread accumulates, the better the chance that " wildness " will occur
Yes i looked at the 40mm ltd xs but have decided against that one for now.

I appreciate the advice everyone is offering, but would be grateful if we could keep the topic limited to primes and fixed aperture zooms, as that's what I'm most interested in

And yes I have also considered the 20-40mm ltd but that is way out of my budget even on special and it's not a fixed aperture it's F/2.8-4.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-10-2018 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Keeping it friendly
02-10-2018, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #75

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Jasma, When Norm mentioned the DA 20-40 it is really like two or three primes in one. There was a post that linked to a guy who felt you should think of it as a 20 and a 40mm prime. His hypothesis was that people usually use their zooms at one end or the other of the range, generally one end and very few uses in the middle of the range. So the 20-40 is at least 2 primes.
I have the 20-40 as well as the DA 15 and today acquired a Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC used. It is a bit bigger than my DA35 2.4 but they both are very sharp and nice to use. The 20-40 is a way to get the equivalent of 3 Limiteds, the 21, 31, and 40. Save cash by buying one.

I also have the 40XS and have a great deal of affection for that lens also.
If only the 20-40ltd was slightly more like a 20-50mm and F2.8 and not 2.8-4 I would be on top of the list as it is like have multiple prime lenses in one and would the economical way to go for sure.
Thank you for the suggestion.