Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #136

Photos: Albums
Great shot cmmurray! This thread definitely should be kept up! Here are a few as I'm learning my way with the Zeiss Distagon 2,8/25mm:

03-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #137

QuoteOriginally posted by FDM Quote
Unfortunately I haven't been following this forum for a while. It was a very pleasant surprise to find this excellent thread when I returned, with many great photos taken with Zeiss glass.
I started using Zeiss with a Contax 167MT, back in the times of 35mm film. Then I turned to digital and got a K10D. More recently, thanks to Leitax converters, I've been able to adapt some old Zeisses to Pentax K mount and I it has been wonderful being able to use these lenses again!

I wonder if there are other former Zeiss C/Y mount users reading this?

--
My photography blog: Exposing pixels
I am a former and current user. I regularly use my Contax/Zeiss lenses, but on my S2 and 167 bodies. I enjoy shooting film with them so much I can't bring myself to convert them to K mount. (I have read that only my MM lenses will convert anyway.)

I own several Zeiss ZK lenses. But to my eye, the Contax/Zeiss lenses are every bit as good as the newer ZKs.
03-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #138
Forum Member

JUst bought and received a Distagon T* 25mm f2.8 and have to say that I'm enjoying it. Here are some photos I just took with it. First pic is shot at f3.2, the next f7.1 and the last f4
Attached Images

03-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #139
Veteran Member

Planar 85/1.4

03-02-2012, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #140
Pentaxian

Nice shots in here.

I'm loving my ZK 35/2. It's the perfect lens on APS-C (if you don't need macro). I can really see the micro-contrast that Zeiss brags about, and I love the wide open sharpness on this lens.

Shot wide open:

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 03-02-2012 at 10:40 PM.
03-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #141

Again with the Zeiss 25:

03-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jurysi Quote
Again with the Zeiss 25:

Nice, the second one just speaks Zeiss.
03-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #143
Veteran Member

Oh dear... I'm planning to try some zeiss glasses after Pentax's...
And I am wondering whether i should get the Distagon 35/2 or the 28/2?
Considering I currently have a Pentax A50/1.4, should I replace it with the Pentax A50/1.2 or with Distagon 50/1.4? Decisions, decisions...
Any kind advice?

03-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Oh dear... I'm planning to try some zeiss glasses after Pentax's...
And I am wondering whether i should get the Distagon 35/2 or the 28/2?
Considering I currently have a Pentax A50/1.4, should I replace it with the Pentax A50/1.2 or with Distagon 50/1.4? Decisions, decisions...
Any kind advice?
Hmm, I went with the 35/2 over the 28/2 mostly because of the reports of field curvature with the 28, and the 35 wide open is incredibly sharp (better wide open than any other lens I've tried). That said I'd recommend reviewing what focal length you'd like and reading up on the lenses at lenstip.com, both are excellent - it's hard to go wrong with Zeiss T*.

As for A50/1.2 vs Z50/1.4, that's a toughy. You're in the cream of the crop. I ended up with a Voigtlander 58/1.4 which I like a lot, but I think the Zeiss is slightly sharper wide open. All three lenses are the top KA MF lenses in that range. The A50 will run ~$150 more than the Zeiss or VL if I recall correctly, but it's known as the Bokeh Queen, so it may be worth it. You can compare the VL and Zeiss on lenstip, but I'd recommend searching through flickriver for examples of each lens. Another wild option is the M42 Helios 44-2 58/2, not as fast or as sharp, but insane bokeh and sub $100 price point.

Good luck!
03-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #145
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another ZK option at 50mm is the 50/2 Makro-Planar.
I got one recently, and it's giving my Nokton a lot of competition.
The Nokton has the dreamy bokeh at wider apertures,
while the ZK 50/2 is sharp all the way through.
It's compact for a ZK, and doesn't need a hood.
03-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #146
Veteran Member

Hmm.... Oh dear.... Close call.... Looks like I might just get both over the course of my passion! Including the A50/1.2!
I've been spoilt by fast MF lenses! All thanks to an awesome friend of mine! Ho humm.... :P
04-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #147
Loyal Site Supporter

Well it appears that my wife is speaking to me again - today.....

I have a couple of Contax CZ lenses - 28/2.8 and a 85/2.8 that I do really like (acquired and converted over the last couple of years). I have been selling some excess photography items off that I have acquired - right sizing (so to speak), and have wound up with a fairly reasonable paypay balance, over the last couple of years. So this weekend, I was cruising the internet perusing a number of sites, and came across a new old stock Carl Zeiss 25/2.8 ZK the other day. It was substantially less that what other shops were asking and it was their last one (of 7), so after thinking about it this weekend, I just pulled the trigger. It zeroed my paypal account and I needed to put $16 on the credit card (which my wife saw). Even if I picked up another Contax 25/2.8 and converted it, I would be near this price anyway - and it has auto aperture to boot, so I figure that I have somewhat broken even to some relative degree.

Now, I would like to see how this "beast" compares to the "lightweight" Contax - as I would think (from what I have read) that they are probably equal in IQ, color rendering and resolution. I have no idea as to if I would even like the additional size and the weight. Since I have the 31Ltd and the CZ28, of which I was keeping both, I have been wondering what is going to become of this. I was somewhat looking for an 18 or 21, but everything has been way out of reach, and just going higher - even used and the MM (with a conversion). This would stretch the range between the 31Ltd and possibly making the 28/2.8 redundant.

The beast should arrive in a couple of days - giving me next weekend to play with it and compare the two and start thinking about what I might actually do. The 25 although wider is heavier and larger, vs. the 28 - a tad narrower, lighter and smaller (almost pocketable).

Has anyone else some experience with the 25 ZK?

Last edited by interested_observer; 04-08-2012 at 07:16 PM.
04-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
As the equivalent of 35mm on FF, 24mm/1in is one of my favorite focal lengths on APS-C.
I have three options there.
The edge-to-edge sharpest from the technical resolution standpoint is the Tamron 17-50/2.8 (A16P).
The lightest, and most discreet for street shooting, is the K24/2.8.
But the ZK 25/2.8 is the best overall.
Mounted on my K-x, it is still compact enough
to fit in a bridge camera waist pack,
and makes a wonderful walkaround lens.
A little quirky, so take the time to get to know it.

Here's a sample (ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/400 sec):

04-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #149
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
As the equivalent of 35mm on FF, 24mm/1in is one of my favorite focal lengths on APS-C.

A little quirky, so take the time to get to know it.
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Well it appears that my wife is speaking to me again - today.....
So this weekend, I was cruising the internet perusing a number of sites, and came across a new old stock Carl Zeiss 25/2.8 ZK the other day.

Well I've got 17 days more experience of this lens than you... and it is brilliant. I ebay'd my copy for £380 as consolation for loosing out on a FA*300 f/2.8 I could't find any reviews which particularly recommended this lens but found images from it that seemed to point that its strongest performance was in the areas I wanted (hyper-focal, infinity focused landscapes and close-up with clean bokeh) its unadvertised 1:2.3 magnification at 17cm close focus is pretty much perfect for me.

My first shot with the 25

Oh and find that the lens is sharp enough, and handles flare pretty well... nine aperture blades, as you can see.

It is surprising that the is no ZK lens club.

Last edited by Col; 04-09-2012 at 06:46 AM.
04-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #150

Not too much to add to what others have said, but I'm a big fan of the 25.

What I enjoy about this lens is its versatility:
It seems to have no real minimal focus distance in the field, as I have at times found myself touching the front filter on my lens as I approach the subject.
At 25mm it allows you to capture the context surrounding the subject, which makes for some interesting/unique photographic possibilities (similar it seems to the DA 35 limited).
Using this lens wide open can produce the dreamy look around the subject, especially at close range.
At the other extreme, the lens is plenty sharp at infinity, thus making it a great landscape/architecture lens (although I prefer something a bit wide for this myself).
In terms of size, the lens seems roughly the same size as the 31 when in use, and although it is heavy, it balances well on the K7/5 bodies.

There don't seem to be many on the forums who use the Zeiss lenses, but other places such as the digilloyd blog and the fredmiranda lens forums offer great images and more information. However, even on those sites, the 25 (2.8, there is a 2.0 in other mounts) seems to have less of a following than the others, but I certainly can recommend it.
Like any other lens (especially Zeiss it seems), there is a lot to learn about its capabilities, but I believe it rewards you accordingly (as I believe the shots above attest).

Last edited by jurysi; 04-09-2012 at 05:34 AM.