Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #166
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
"Focus shift" as the way spherical aberrations
make the point of sharpest focus change
as you go down a stop or two from fully open,
even though the focus ring doesn't move.

That means that if the image looks sharp
(say on live view) at f/1.4,
it will no longer be sharp exposing at f/2 or f/2.8
unless you move the focus ring
a tad closer to the minimum focus distance.

Photozone has a good display of the effect on
Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZF (ZE) (on Canon EOS) - Lab Test / Review - Analysis
. . . try and "Move the mouse cursor over the f-stop marks"
Thanks for the link !
So, how do you know that really nailed focus dead on before you chimp and check the results? I mean, you'd have to take several shots of the subject/target (at the same aperture/exposure) in order to have at least one good one ?

I've also tried with LV (K5) ... not much difference there. All at f1.4.

JP

10-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #167
Pentaxian

The depth of field at f/1.4 is quite narrow
(about 5cm for a subject 3m away),
so focus bracketing like you describe is generally a good idea.
10-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #168

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The depth of field at f/1.4 is quite narrow
(about 5cm for a subject 3m away),
so focus bracketing like you describe is generally a good idea.
exactly.. if you can use a tripod, then you should use the INFO button and zoom in and focus accordingly.

I took my Zeiss lenses last week to my hometown in order to show you some pictures made with them (nothing special, but interesting though) :

- Zeiss 85mm at f1.4, ISO 800 1/125 handheld in the dark (it's about the bokeh)
- Zeiss 18mm at f8.0, ISO 1600 1/20 handheld in the dark... look here: :)

Some shots with the 50mm makro wide open (at f2.0) and handheld :
- The bride and a buddy
- 2 friends (well next time I will not shoot at f2.0 when I am so close, my buddy is not really in focus with the shallow DOF!)
- Another one (not perfectly in focus, but still very nice I guess... I wanted to force the bokeh in order to blur the very ugly and disturbing background!)

And the last one with the 85mm at f3.2, handheld in Berlin:
- Dancer in the street (a lil bit sharpened in lightroom, but a monstruous native sharpness though!)
10-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
As some may recall, I had been waiting months for my T*85/1.4 to come in and it finally did just in time for a two week vacation to British Columbia. I had an opportunity to use it under various circumstances and quickly learned its limitations and to enjoy the lens within its capabilities.

Because I am still editing more than 300 pictures from this trip, I'll make a multi-part disclosure of the various aspects of this lens over time.

My first instinct is to open a lens up - to 1.4 in this case, get as close as I can to something and make bokeh. The lens at close distances and wide open gives a diffused contrast to things, very 'dreamy'.

It was apparent to me this lens was different to anything I was used to before it. With a minimum 1m focus distance, ultra-flat distortion characteristics (hence the the name Planar, meaning plane, or flat) and ultra-wide aperture at a short telefocal range - I discovered the lens was strong at 'big bokeh', granting larger subjects the sort of background seperation normally seen with much smaller subjects and opening my eye to a wider range of subjects to inflict bokeh on than I previously knew.

My first conclusion was that the T*85 and probably most fast 85s in general seem to be more in their element spying human sized subjects. As I move closer or to smaller subjects, I'd consider the Voigtlander Nokton as the little brother in almost all respects to the Planar.
Am I allowed to swear? F*****g amazing images!

10-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #170
Pentaxian

Oh dear! I really wish I hadn't looked in here as my bank balance can't handle the strain... I have a Zeiss 21/2.8 for Nikon and love it but I haven't really touched the surface of what's possible. The work on display here (Pirate...) is taking me to school big-time. wonderful stuff everyone! Thanks.
10-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by olimatt Quote
- Another one (not perfectly in focus, but still very nice I guess... I wanted to force the bokeh in order to blur the very ugly and disturbing background!)
I wonder if a K5 IIs would have moiréed that suit.
10-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #172

Instead of adding more images, I thought I should post the link from the Bokeh Club. Just playing with the ZK 85/1.4 - the images are straight from the camera.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/132843-bokeh-c...ml#post2135657
10-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #173
Marketplace Reseller

35/2 Distagon ZK

The Zeiss 35/2 lives on my camera, I really enjoy using it and the way it renders.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cm_murray/7650438512/in/photostream/

100% crop:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cm_murray/8091460352/in/photostream/

Sometimes I am blown away by the amount of detail it can resolve.

10-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #174
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Oh dear! I really wish I hadn't looked in here as my bank balance can't handle the strain... I have a Zeiss 21/2.8 for Nikon and love it but I haven't really touched the surface of what's possible. The work on display here (Pirate...) is taking me to school big-time. wonderful stuff everyone! Thanks.
A couple of years ago, I passed up a K-mount CZ 21/2.8 at $800 and I've been kicking myself ever since, after I discovered just how good they were. The price has doubled since then, if you can find a copy. If Pentax ever comes out with a 35mm sensor body, that lens would be one of the major reasons I'd buy one. I've satisfied myself with an FA20/2.8, which is an under-rated optic IMO, but it isn't really in the same street as the Zeiss.