Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #91

Frank,

I share your enthusiasm for the Zeiss products. Actually, I'm very surprised that more photographers aren't using them. My C/Y collection
goes from 28mm to 135mm but I also use the ZM, ZF and ZK lenses.
My Contax lenses are not converted but just using an adapter. With the
focus confirmation it's pure pleasure.

Attached are views of the Colorado aspen. (100/2 ZK)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo   

Last edited by gtmerideth; 11-21-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: info
11-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #92
FDM

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gtmerideth Quote
My Contax lenses are not converted but just using an adapter. With the focus confirmation it's pure pleasure.
Are you using a Canon body with the adapter and the C/Y lenses? On Pentax or Nikon you would loose infinity focus with an adapter between the body and the lens, right? By the way, were you a Contax camera user before?

Impressive shots of Colorado!
11-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #93

Frank,

Yes, I used Contax equipment for several years. From 1980 to 2003. I even had an N digital. And yes, I use the C/Y ZF stuff with a 5D. The flexibility of using Contax, Olympus and others injects a level of fun in my photography. The modifications that you have made are one way to use C/Y and I've seen another approach using M42 mounts. Also, there is a fellow in Japan who modifies his Pentax mount so it accepts Contax lenses. And still retains the ability to mount Pentax glass. I really don't know about Nikon but I think you are correct.

To me, the Contax bodies are absolutely the most beautiful pieces of equipment. I have a collection of 8 which represent the progress from
quartz shutters, multi mode exposure, integral motor drives to the RTS lll, AX, S2 and Aria. The N digital is a wonderful, full frame unit with some of the best glass ever made. It just was a pain to use. Battery problems, mostly. But those 6 meg files were really something. It kind
of shows how the rest of the mfg's force feed us.

I very much enjoy the Pentax K20D. And happy that Zeiss chose to make them in ZK mounts. I'm just trying to be patient until a Pentax FF is made.

Really enjoyed your blog and images.
g.
11-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #94
FDM

QuoteOriginally posted by gtmerideth Quote
I have a collection of 8 which represent the progress from
quartz shutters, multi mode exposure, integral motor drives to the RTS lll, AX, S2 and Aria. The N digital is a wonderful, full frame unit with some of the best glass ever made.
We'd better stop here, otherwise we'll probably be banned for discussing non-Pentax cameras in this forum . I only owned the 167MT, but I loved it. Too bad Contax died before it had the chance to further improve the N digital.

Anyway, I've absolutely no regrets about using Pentax now (it was a comeback, actually). Specially now that I'm able to use some of my old glass.

01-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #95

Hi fellow ZK users. I very very much enjoy my ZK 35 in conjunction with my samsung GX20 (and k10d before that) in fact so much that I have sold or am selling all my other lenses to leave just that one. Kind of mad but works for me. Here are a couple of pictures from a gig that I took with the K10d and this lens and one of my daughter taken with the Gx20. All high iso, low light which is my vibe generally.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gawain Hewitt; 01-04-2009 at 04:24 PM.
01-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #96

Please, anyone, tell me is Distagon T* 2,8/25 good for landscape shooting?
Is it enough sharp on infinity?
Can anyone give few samples photo for this lens (landscape)?

p.s. maybe another lens could be better for this case? I saw pictures from T* 2/35 and they have more soft and beautiful bokeh, I think. But in case 35 mm, should be lim31 be better? and cost the same money, isn't?

Last edited by nixite; 01-06-2009 at 10:18 AM.
01-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gawain Hewitt Quote
Hi fellow ZK users. I very very much enjoy my ZK 35 in conjunction with my samsung GX20 (and k10d before that) in fact so much that I have sold or am selling all my other lenses to leave just that one. Kind of mad but works for me. Here are a couple of pictures from a gig that I took with the K10d and this lens and one of my daughter taken with the Gx20. All high iso, low light which is my vibe generally.
Hey Gawain, nothing to do with the lens, but I think our daughter's have the same hairdresser!

Attached Images

01-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #98
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nixite Quote
Please, anyone, tell me is Distagon T* 2,8/25 good for landscape shooting?
Is it enough sharp on infinity?
Can anyone give few samples photo for this lens (landscape)?

p.s. maybe another lens could be better for this case? I saw pictures from T* 2/35 and they have more soft and beautiful bokeh, I think. But in case 35 mm, should be lim31 be better? and cost the same money, isn't?
I'd posted a thread on this lens a while back. Only one problem, the flickr review referred to in my first post is losing its pictures because I no longer have a pro account there. The verbal description remains, and some of the shots. The thread goes on with pics and description as well.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/25282-zeiss-di...al-review.html

Conclusion - The Distagon is sharp from 2.8 in close and medium ranges, but requires stopping down to get maximum resolution from infinity. It seems to peak around f11, but is solid for most intenets and purposes from about 5.6. Under this, the FA31 is sharper, faster @ infinity.

If you need a lens for night time photography, probably the FA 31 is better. Otoh, if you can afford to stop down on your infinity work, then the Distagon also adds a stellar close-focuser to your bag.

In the end, I was comfortable enough to sell my 31.

Last shot from my Distagon, clearly showing its infinity sharpness (kidding!)

01-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
If you need a lens for night time photography, probably the FA 31 is better. Otoh, if you can afford to stop down on your infinity work, then the Distagon also adds a stellar close-focuser to your bag.

In the end, I was comfortable enough to sell my 31.
I let go of my 31, but have to admit that I'm thinking of getting another one. While I've been experimenting with different focal lengths, I certainly need something wider than 43, and the 35/2.8, while flexible, isn't quite wide enough or fast enough. There are times I need a 21, but something a bit longer and faster should be available as well. Do you ever use the 25 for street and/or candids, especially indoors/low light? I don't mind shooting wide open and dealing with the narrow DOF. I just want something fast enough with some sharpness.
01-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #100

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Hey Gawain, nothing to do with the lens, but I think our daughter's have the same hairdresser!
These girls are such fashion victims...

In case it is of interest, I have just had delivery of a new focusing screen from china made from a k1000 screen (so they say) with a diagonal split from ebay seller jinfinance - it is much better than the one I have been using for the past year which was from virtual village (china too). Seems more accurate and more precise and better made. In no way feels cheap. The virtual village one had a slightly lopsided split and looked odd. This one snaps into focus very nicely and the microprisms around the split are far more effective too.
Incidentally both sellers were quick, reliable and trustworthy.

Last edited by Gawain Hewitt; 01-06-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo
01-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #101
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I let go of my 31, but have to admit that I'm thinking of getting another one. While I've been experimenting with different focal lengths, I certainly need something wider than 43, and the 35/2.8, while flexible, isn't quite wide enough or fast enough. There are times I need a 21, but something a bit longer and faster should be available as well. Do you ever use the 25 for street and/or candids, especially indoors/low light? I don't mind shooting wide open and dealing with the narrow DOF. I just want something fast enough with some sharpness.
I know what you mean. The 25, being a 2.8 is _good_ in the role you describe, but the 31 was better in low light. Its simply a matter of the extra light. Currently, my 25 and 55/1.2 are spliting the candid/people role. The Distagon is an odd lens with a lot of versatility, but there would be better choices if you're looking for a lens to do only that.

There is the 28/2. Now you're right in the FAs wheel-house - fast, sharp and gently wide enough to do groups or singles. The main attraction of the 28 over the FA31 (aside from the unparalleled manual focusing) is that the 28 can also focus very closely, that to me is a very interesting advantage (0.22m for the 28, 0.17m for the 25, 0.30m for the FA31).

Whenever I went sticking my nose into the weeds and bugs for an afternoon of shooting bokeh, the 31 always stayed home. The 25 always comes, the 28 would come often (if I didn't have the 25).
01-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #102

Can you give a 100% crop from landscape photo, when focusing to infinity? just to see sharpness...

p.s. I search the best lens for me to shoot landscapes and cityscapes, and after your article I doubt is T* 25/2.8 appropriate... Can anyone help me to do right choice.

Last edited by nixite; 01-07-2009 at 02:43 AM.
01-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some TEST pics with T*Planar 85/1.4

As mentioned earlier, Pirate, here are a couple of test pictures taken with the Zeiss 85/1.4 ZK.
PLEASE note that theses are tests only and I am far from being done getting used to this lens, therefore I will kindly ask to forgive the many faults present;
All photos were taken the following way: tripod, remote, ISO 100, low speed (can't recall them all), tungsten "mode", and I am including the F-stop for each.
K10D used (my K20D is at the repair shop for focusing problems).
I will likely go out tomorrow for more photos and will have the Zeiss along, hopefully it will be a sunny day because we had a snow storm past couple days here. I will return with (hopefully) better images.

By the way, your photos here are great!

Talk soon,
JP

F4 below

F1.4 below

F1.4 below -- of course, artificial flowers! :ugh:

F5.6 ... first day I had that lens and I had no idea on how to work with it! That is the only one taken outside, so far.
01-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #104
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
As mentioned earlier, Pirate, here are a couple of test pictures taken with the Zeiss 85/1.4 ZK.
PLEASE note that theses are tests only and I am far from being done getting used to this lens, therefore I will kindly ask to forgive the many faults present;
All photos were taken the following way: tripod, remote, ISO 100, low speed (can't recall them all), tungsten "mode", and I am including the F-stop for each.
K10D used (my K20D is at the repair shop for focusing problems).
I will likely go out tomorrow for more photos and will have the Zeiss along, hopefully it will be a sunny day because we had a snow storm past couple days here. I will return with (hopefully) better images.

By the way, your photos here are great!

Talk soon,
JP

F4 below

how has the shooting with the Planar been going JP? I thought the above shot turned out really well for just a test pic - composition is really nice, quite crisp and nice deep tones as well.
01-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #105
Inactive Account

Original Poster
How Zeiss glass is made, interesting read.

On the Zeiss page there is a lot of information, but I hadn't gone through this tour of glass production previously -

Foyer 01

I always knew the SLR lenses were assembled by Cosina in Japan, but I didn't realise so much went into the lenses before they got that far.