Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #31
Veteran Member

nice photos kelly, props for maintaining your Voigt and Zeiss posts with responses and photos

09-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angelodn Quote
thanks for your answer....
it's very long, I have to translate slowly lol:
haha, take your time. Post more shots while you're at it

It seems there aren't as many 'Zeiss-taxians' in here as I'd hoped.

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
nice photos kelly, props for maintaining your Voigt and Zeiss posts with responses and photos
Thanks! Its my pleasure really. Each praise somehow diminishes the sting of handing over that much cash, heh.

Honestly though, I was so curious about these lenses and found myself hard pressed to find anything to do with them on a Pentax. It was hard enough to gather a good sample size to judge from even with the Nikon ZFs. A thread like this would have been really helpful to me six months ago, I hope these little adventures help give others some insight as to whats lurking out there in K-mount land.

K
09-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gtmerideth Quote
I have ZK 100/2, 28/2 and the 50/1.4. The attached is the 50 testing it's acutance. Not bad for sharp. My contribution to the ZK inventory.
gary
Gary, I'd love to see some samples of bokeh from the 50/1.4. Of the remaining ZKs, I could tempt myself with that one, at its price.

The Nokton seems so different to other lenses I've tried at 1.4. I'd just be curious to note how the ZK50 handled wide open.

K.
09-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #34
Forum Member

85/1.4 backorder at Adorama...

I finally ordered last week the Zeiss ZK 85/1.4 from Adorama. Unfortunately, I quickly received a mail (looks like an automatic message) telling me that the lens is backorder and they will ship the item as soon as they'll receive it, generally within 10-14 days...

I sent them a mail today to know if they have an idea of the delay before they receive and then ship the item, since Zeiss lens for Pentax are probably not an usual item and maybe the "10-14 days" does not apply for them...

Here is the answer I received:
"Unfortunately, it simply seems there is no official date on when we should receive the item(s). However I can assure you your order will remain open and once we receive the item(s) in question we will ship your order to you ASAP."

Anybody knows what is the usual delay for this type of lens when it is backorder ?? I read threads about some people waiting too much time for their Zeiss lenses sent for replacement, so I am wondering if I will need to wait for two months to receive the lens !

I was hoping to get the lens before the end of the month, so maybe I can cancel my order at Adorama if I can find the lens in stock somewhere else...

David

09-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #35
Veteran Member

check out these guys in Montreal
Leica Boutique - Montreal Canada's premier Leica dealer

or Harry in Toronto
http://harrysproshop.com/zk/zk.html
09-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I buy mine through "The Camera Store" here in Calgary. They had to special order mine and it did take a while, but perhaps I got the ball rolling, everyone uses the same distributor in Canada (Genlec I believe it was). Also, their price is usually 1033 for the 85/1.4. I was given a better deal due to a mistake delaying my order further.

I would ask anyone else you bought through in Canada to match that price, if not, I'd just hit up the internet if you're going to pay a premium to get one now off ebay. David, I would definately cancel with Adorama, only because you'll pay top end (factor in shipping, duty and GST at the border) and still have to wait.

K.

Edit - Hey, I was shooting the 85 and 25 yesterday, looking at some early fall colors - the 25 made me the happiest on this day (though there was some good from both)

T*25 Distagon @ 2.8

Last edited by thePiRaTE!!; 09-15-2008 at 05:07 PM.
09-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #37
Veteran Member

w/ all the attention you lavish on your zeiss"es" now, do you still have time for your voigts

09-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
w/ all the attention you lavish on your zeiss"es" now, do you still have time for your voigts
haha, well... its true on average the newest lens to me gets the lions share of on camera time, but I can honestly tell you at this moment, I'm really pleased with the total mix (+ Voigts). I'm resolved to satisfaction with whats in my bag and lust only after a Noctilux 50/1.0 I'll likely wait years to put on whatever comes after the Leica M8 someday (unless something similar can be had in K-mount, eventually (Go Voigt!)).

I use the T*25 the most, followed by the VL58 & T*85 about the same after that it seems, then the VL125 for longer or macro shots, and occasionally adding its flavour to the bokeh pot. Lastly the FA31, which gets no use at all at the moment. I keep it as a night time lens (parties, architecture). I don't use the VL90 or 180 and while they are both great, I've pondered how long I may hold on to them. My fiance loves the 90, so I have that excuse to keep it but when I get the 60-250 as a tool for outdoor event photography, I'll likely consider the 180 for sale.

...and there it is in a really big nutshell, lol.
09-15-2008, 10:36 PM   #39

hi Kelly,
by owner of T*85 I agree with you for all previous posts.
after using it for 2 weeks and a wedding I really love it.
By f2.8/f3.5 it's a razor and just similar to the other lens portrait
loosing a little of personality.

but between 1.4 and 2.8 it's delicate and elegant,
and reminder me the 77 limited.

now I'm in fully LBA for zeiss and voigtlander...

and I have to decide to sell at least one of A*85, T*85 or 77limited
to buy a new lens....

let me know all your lenses stuff!

do you think the 90 and the 85 as two differnt lenses with two different usage?
09-15-2008, 11:13 PM   #40
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hi Kelly,
by owner of T*85 I agree with you for all previous posts.
after using it for 2 weeks and a wedding I really love it.
By f2.8/f3.5 it's a razor and just similar to the other lens portrait
loosing a little of personality.

but between 1.4 and 2.8 it's delicate and elegant,
and reminder me the 77 limited.

now I'm in fully LBA for zeiss and voigtlander...

and I have to decide to sell at least one of A*85, T*85 or 77limited
to buy a new lens....

let me know all your lenses stuff!

do you think the 90 and the 85 as two differnt lenses with two different usage?
Hey cool, love to see some samples from your 85 at the wedding - glad to hear it was a good performer for you.

As for the VL90, I would classify it as very different to the T*85. After their focal range and where they were built, they are opposites.

Its dramatic - the 90 is a tiny lens, lets in a little light (f3.5) but close focuses to around 1 ft at 1:3.5. It can't be far off its maximum MTF performace wide open at 3.5, it is as sharp as any lens I've shot. CA and fringing are _very_ well controlled (as with all Lanthars), the only drawback is its modest aperture which leaves its bokeh wanting, and for me, thats a reason to exist.

The T*85 in contrast is large, fast, has a split personality (as many fast lenses do) as a dreamy bokeh machine wide open to a razor when stopped down from 2.8 up. But this lens as you know wants to sit back and take in the view at 1m, 1:10, its an approach that took me some getting used to.

I'd suggest though, that the 90 is equally at home in the quality dept as the T*85. If you are a person who does portraits and wants a different choice from time to time, the VL90 could be an alternative.

K.
09-16-2008, 12:17 AM   #41

oh no....

VL90 + T*85 + A*85 + 77....

I'm going to be crazy....
09-16-2008, 12:41 AM   #42
Inactive Account

So I take it nobody has the 18mm f/3.5 yet? If Pentax doesn't get the 15mm Limited on the roadmap into production soon, I might just have to look into getting it. Its steep price tag will likely make me settle for something a little less pricey.
09-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #43
Inactive Account

Original Poster
oh no....

VL90 + T*85 + A*85 + 77....

I'm going to be crazy....
Well, if you're a portrait man, it'd be nice to have so many choices, but if its just chance that brings so many similarly ranged lenses together, I'd say choose the two you'll use the most in this range and branch out by selling the others.

Between A* and T*, they are probably the most similar (I'd love to know, you're spoiled here!), one can be sold. As an auxilliary back-up, which would do more on its own - the VL90 or FA77? Either you can rule out spending on the 90, or get around 500 for the 77, plus around 1000 for either the T* or A* - now you can afford the VL90 (if you choose) and have up to two new ZKs or VLs in your grasp if you're careful. (For instance VL90 = 450, VL58 = 379, ZK25 = 850 = 1679) Now you've gone from one to four ZK/VL lenses at $179 cost to you But thats just what I would do, hehe.

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
So I take it nobody has the 18mm f/3.5 yet? If Pentax doesn't get the 15mm Limited on the roadmap into production soon, I might just have to look into getting it. Its steep price tag will likely make me settle for something a little less pricey.
Haven't heard anyone fess up to owning the 18 in here yet. The DA15 will certainly be interesting in this range as being a limited, the construction will be good. Personally though, I'd only consider the DA if it were truely designed to cover and perform on FF, otherwise its really only a 22.5mm when the day comes. <--- only advice if you're considering FF someday, as I am.
09-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Between A* and T*, they are probably the most similar (I'd love to know, you're spoiled here!), one can be sold. As an auxilliary back-up, which would do more on its own - the VL90 or FA77? Either you can rule out spending on the 90, or get around 500 for the 77, plus around 1000 for either the T* or A* - now you can afford the VL90 (if you choose) and have up to two new ZKs or VLs in your grasp if you're careful. (For instance VL90 = 450, VL58 = 379, ZK25 = 850 = 1679) Now you've gone from one to four ZK/VL lenses at $179 cost to you But thats just what I would do, hehe.
you make me crazy...........

p.s.
If I can do some test to compare the A* to the T* let me know...
09-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #45

considering to use zeiss and voigtlender lenses (no pentax), probably I'd buy a Fuji S5....