Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-11-2018, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Configurable 150mm filter system

Hi all,

Firstly, long time reader- first time poster. Pentaxforums has been a great source of information for me over the years, many thanks to all those who contribute, now it’s my turn!

I purchased the 15-30mm some time ago and was keen to get a 150mm filter system for it. Owning a 3D printer, I decided to design my own. I have no background in engineering/design/CAD software, so this has been quite a long-winded exercise for me. I still have some tweaking to do, but I’m happy with what I have so far, so I’d like to share it with you all.

Not only did I want an adapter to mount to my 15-30mm, I wanted something that could mount to virtually any of my Pentax lenses, and I suppose this is where my adapter differs in comparison to other systems I’ve seen. That would enable me to get more value out of the filters, especially with my polarizing filter, that has potential uses on multiple lenses.

The first photo is of the basic guts of the adapter mounted to the 31mm limited. There’s a set of mounting “half” rings that are clamped over the lens with an M10 bolt on either side to secure. They’re held in place on either end with a pin, a spring between them keeps the ring open, to easily slide it over the lens. I have picked up the 15-30mm's 1kg of bulk by just gripping the adapter, it secures quite well.

It takes just a minute to adjust the diameter of the mounting rings in software, and I can have a set printed in a couple of hours. The whole thing would take perhaps 10 hours to print, and cost several dollars in material.

At the top of the large outer ring there’s four M4 threads, to bolt the shroud and filter mount to. Second image is the fully kitted out adapter attached to the 31mm (note there’s a secondary shroud attached that fills in the gap for the small 31mm, the main shroud was designed for the 15-30mm- the widest diameter lens I own). I've covered the internals of the shroud with an adhesive felt to block reflections (effective material but the adhesive is weak, I'm working on alternatives). I've also attached some images of it mounted to the 150-450mm and 15-30mm.

Questions/comments/critiques welcome.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-12-2018, 01:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum!

For not having a background in engineering you‘ve created a truly clever, well thought out solution. That’s amazing. Get it patented, put it on Kickstarter and sell it to the world

This really shows the beauty of 3D printing. Everyone can create amazing solutions and products in their home nowadays with just a printer and some creativity.

Last edited by alpheios; 02-12-2018 at 01:17 AM.
02-12-2018, 01:37 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the kind words alpheios!
02-12-2018, 03:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum, starting with a good idea

it's a very interesting solution, well thougt and "simple" (that's really good)

what will be the price, if you manufacture it.

Or is there a possibilty to get the plans to print it in a 3D printer shop nearby (I'm living in Germany)

02-12-2018, 04:15 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks joergens.mi,

I would ultimately love to be able to print some of these to sell, to try and recoup some of the costs of the printer, and keep the hobby going. I haven't calculated what it would cost for me to sell these, partly because I don't think I've quite finished the design (I'm currently working on a shroud with interchangeable parts). But, the idea would be to drastically undercut the current mass produced offerings (I think they're well built, but lack flexibility and are pricey).

I would also eventually like to make this design available on one of the websites like thingiverse or myminifactory for others to print, but again... when it's ready. I quickly priced up the parts on shapeways (online printing service) and it was approaching $200(US), too much IMO.

I'd like to get some of these in the hands of pentaxians to test and provide feedback, let me know if anyone is interested!
02-12-2018, 06:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really like what you are doing here. I have the Fotodiox Wonderpana for my 15-30, but I've certainly had thoughts about what I would do for my own system and it would be nice to use some of those filters on other lenses I have - got quite the investment in all the NDs etc. plus multi-coated CPL. so this is nice idea to be able to fit multiple lenses.

This is obviously for square filters. Have you tried printing a round holder with threads?

You mention a shroud. That was one of my thoughts looking at this - stray light coming in from the sides. Not sure how much it might affect the image, and that will come down to the angles of light, I'm sure.

What brand printer are you using? I've been eyeballing 3D printers - need to print a baffle for my 60-250, and rolling around the idea of just buying a 3D printer to open the door to this type of thing.

I'd be more than happy to trial test designs and help. PM me if you want to hammer out some detail on how best to do that.
02-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks clickclick,

I have not tried printing a round holder, honestly I'm not at all familiar with those systems. However, if I knew the diameter and thread pitch, it's possible I could create an adapter to mate with my system. If you could find out I'll give it a crack.

I'm surprised more of these systems don't come with larger shrouds/hoods. I imagine stray light would have a negative impact on image quality (certainly reduced contrast, and increased flare!). So, the shroud I'm designing has interchangeable sides, the idea would be to have the largest sides practical, without vignetting.

I'm using a Zortrax m200, good but pricey. It prints ABS really well, something a lot of printers don't do. It's handy for these sorts of functional prints, as ABS is pretty durable.

Will PM you.

02-12-2018, 07:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll have to see if I can figure out the pitch on the threads. This will be interseting to try to figure out how to measure accurately.

Just checked the Zortrax. Yep, pricey, but have a hunch 3D printing is a get what you paid for situation. I'd rather spend more and be happy a long time versus looking at a big blob I can't do anything productive with. As I was looking at these briefly a few months ago, it became clear I wanted good ABS printing. Biodegradable vegetable material just doesn't sound like what I want to be putting my time and effort into.
02-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Google reveals a 145mmx1mm thread, that's a super fine thread, perhaps too difficult to 3d print with enough accuracy. From images it looks like there's a few screws that mount a square filter holder. That should be easy enough to create an adapter to, with the correct measurements.

There's some interesting filaments becoming more popular, like PETG and high temp PLA, that even the reasonably cheap printers will print quite well. Something to consider, I do like ABS though.
02-17-2018, 05:24 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
FYI 3D files are now up on thingiverse: 150mm Filter adapter/holder by Arachnorchis - Thingiverse
02-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, regarding the Fotodiox 145mm CPL, you are correct on the thread pitch, and it would be easy to cross thread if one was rushing and not paying attention.

Thanks for posting up the files. I will check them out. Still have to figure out a printer. Do you know anything about the XYZprinting da Vinci 1.0 Pro? It does ABS and PLA. Currently available on a special at B&H for $500 - know that's probably not an option for you, but seems to be a good price, but is it a good enough printer? And not for just this project obviously, but if you want ABS and don't want to break the bank, other contenders to look at?

XYZprinting da Vinci 1.0 Pro 3D Printer 3F1AWXUS00K B&H Photo

Have you ever done anything with a 3D scanner? The idea of scanning a broken part and duplicating it is intriguing.
02-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Yes, regarding the Fotodiox 145mm CPL, you are correct on the thread pitch, and it would be easy to cross thread if one was rushing and not paying attention.

Thanks for posting up the files. I will check them out. Still have to figure out a printer. Do you know anything about the XYZprinting da Vinci 1.0 Pro? It does ABS and PLA. Currently available on a special at B&H for $500 - know that's probably not an option for you, but seems to be a good price, but is it a good enough printer? And not for just this project obviously, but if you want ABS and don't want to break the bank, other contenders to look at?

XYZprinting da Vinci 1.0 Pro 3D Printer 3F1AWXUS00K B&H Photo

Have you ever done anything with a 3D scanner? The idea of scanning a broken part and duplicating it is intriguing.
I have no experience with any other printer, so it's difficult for me to comment. It does seem like a very good price though, and it does have a heated bed and an enclosure (essential for ABS). I'd read some reviews and compare it to similarly priced machines, as far as alternatives.. the Prusa i3's are very respected machines, but you'd need a custom enclosure for it. Honestly, I think the Zortrax has really spoilt me, it's particularly difficult to print large ABS pieces, of which this adapter has a few.

I briefly looked at 3D scanning, the impression I got was that the scanned files required a lot of patching up to get good quality, generally better off building parts from scratch.