Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Should I take my 31mm ltd to Costa Rica?

Hi,

I am going to Costa Rica in two weeks and will bring my KP, 16-85mm, 100mm wr and perhaps DA* 55mm.
But I am struggling to decide whether I should bring my 31mm ltd.
I am worried about the humidity and since it's not even weather sealed I am wondering if it would be very risky to bring it with me. DA 16-85mm will take most of the load but 31mm ltd would be nice for the evenings.

02-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
of course you should. i splash mine up at the beach and deep in fog; it's not that delicate, lol.

why go on an unforgettable trip and not bring the sharpest lens in your bag? lol. go for it!@
02-12-2018, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes! Nature is awesome during the day, but nightlife in the tropics is a must. Weather sealing is also less of an issue with prime lenses and typically the rain falls in the afternoon and stops by evening. If I were you....Iʻd travel light and just take the 16-85mm and the 31mm prime.
02-12-2018, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take the 31 ltd., 16-85, DA* 55, the DFA 100 WR macro for all the nice flowers and such.....

Bring a couple T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops, who needs clothes in Costa Rica....

02-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If you think you'll get some great images with it, take the FA31. There's really no sense in having such a nice lens if you're not going to get every ounce of use from it that you want. Yes, there might be some risk, but equipment is to be used and enjoyed. I'm careful with my gear and look after it very well, but not to the point of leaving it at home.

By all means take whatever precautions you can, but use the lens... and, if you should be unfortunate enough to get condensation in it or damage it, accept it as "one of those things". You'll have some beautiful images, and the lens can be serviced. No big deal
02-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just read up on humidity and other weather precautions you have to take with your gear. Like, to give it time to acclimatize, how to dry it if it gets too wet, etc. I think there are some blogs and other websites that write about this.
I don' have FA 31mm, but I always take primes between 21mm and 40mm with me. Its a good FoV for travel and adventure photos. You can buy a second hand DA 35mm f2.4, though. That way you don't have a big loss if it gets ruined and you can sell it after the trip at a minimal loss, and you still get a fairly sharp prime in that FoV. Of course, as fine as the DA 35mm is, it is not on the same level as the FA 31mm. Or Samyang 35mm f1.4, so you have a super fast aperture wide angle (but its bigger and MF only)

I don't know how good the 16-85mm is around 30mm, though. Maybe its good enough for your needs and you don't need a prime there. Have to take test photos and decide your priorities
02-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #7

Having been there on numerous occasions, I don't know if the 31 (which I have) will be useful or not. It depends on where you are going. In any case, make sure you have a DrySack or similar waterproof bag. Cheap and effective.

02-12-2018, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IDK man, have you seen all those famous photos taken during the The Vietnam War? They were all taken with WR/AW lenses and bodies.
02-12-2018, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buy some of those silica gel dessicant packs and put a few in yourcamera bag.
02-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Ket

Yes take and use it
,If you are worried buy a second hand one for the trip ( sell it later ),
Make sure the lens is part of your travel insurance,

Dave
02-12-2018, 11:34 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!
I have dry bags, silica gel packs, water resistant camera bag and it's covered by my travel insurance.
But I am still slightly worried about the humidity

But I think that I will take KP. 31mm, 16-85mm +100mm wr and if I have space my small tripod.
Too good opportunity to leave it at home.

Cheers
02-12-2018, 11:45 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
Take the 31 ltd., 16-85, DA* 55, the DFA 100 WR macro for all the nice flowers and such.....

Bring a couple T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops, who needs clothes in Costa Rica....
Thats what i did took all my lenes and Hardly and close. I wore my lenes that way they didnt go toward my weight
02-13-2018, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
I am still slightly worried about the humidity
I live in the tropical state of Hawaii and the main issue is not so much humidity as it is sudden and big changes with temperature and humidity. Going from a cool and dry air conditioned building or bus into warm humid conditions.

If you donʻt need your camera in the air conditioned place, thatʻs where you want to keep it in a sealed insulated bag relatively warm like outside conditions. Itʻs the exact opposite if you were in winter going from a dry cold outdoors into the warm house.
02-13-2018, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is stopping you? do they have a pixie dust embargo going on?
02-13-2018, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #15

Hi. I have lived in Costa Rica for a couple of years now, using Pentax equipment. Some of my lenses are WR and some are not but I've not had any problems. I don't know where you will be going but it is now the dry season in the Central Valley, near San Jose. It is raining some on the Caribbean side, but just take the usual precautions with your equipment and you won't have any problems. I usually carry my lenses inside small padded cases and inside my backpack. Pura vida!