Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

DA* 60-250 lens won't auto focus

HI All I know there are posts on this somewhere but can't find anything in using the search feature. I have DA* 60-250 about 3yrs old but with probably less than 500 shots. The auto focus quit working yesterday it works fine on manual focus. I have tried other lenses and they function fine. I have a K5 nothing seems wrong with the camera the lens is set to auto focus as is the camera and other auto lenses work fine. Any suggestions also if needed where would I send it to get it fixed. Thanks Mike

02-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
HI All I know there are posts on this somewhere but can't find anything in using the search feature. I have DA* 60-250 about 3yrs old but with probably less than 500 shots. The auto focus quit working yesterday it works fine on manual focus. I have tried other lenses and they function fine. I have a K5 nothing seems wrong with the camera the lens is set to auto focus as is the camera and other auto lenses work fine. Any suggestions also if needed where would I send it to get it fixed. Thanks Mike
This would be an out of warranty repair, but here's the info on how to get it fixed at Precision, which is the official repair shop:
US Pentax Warranty Repair Information - PentaxForums.com

Sounds like SDM failure to me.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keh may be able to service it also. Reportedly they are less costly for this repair, but I would contact them to verify before sending.
02-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam very much appreciated
Mike

---------- Post added 02-13-2018 at 11:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Keh may be able to service it also. Reportedly they are less costly for this repair, but I would contact them to verify before sending.
I am not familiar with Keh can you give more info please.

02-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Used Photography Cameras & Equipment - Buy and Sell Online at KEH Camera Store

They also do repair work. Not a warranty repair shop so only good when warranty has expired.
02-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

KEH has fixed costs for most repairs with a few exceptions. Their site sells used gear but they do repairs also. First in-first out is what they say they do with parts availability coming into play at times. I have purchased from them but not used them for repairs.
02-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ALAS a caveat. I had the same problem, sent it to Precision, required a part they did not have, lens sent to Ricoh/Pentax home factory. About two months But Precision charged exactly what they quoted at the outset, no extra for the long-distance extra shipments. BTW, I am quite close to Precision, certainly less than an hour's drive, but they will neither accept walk-in delivery nor surrender equipment to a will-come-there pick-up.
02-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mine did that too. KEH fixed it once and it failed again a few months later. KEH refunded my money and now it sits on a shelf while I hope someone figures out the screwdrive conversion for this lens.

02-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

my husband had his replaced by keh...if I remember right it was around 250 but going strong and that was several years ago
02-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

There were reasons why I did not consider getting a DA* 60-250mm f/4, now I have another very good reason. Good luck with your repair going smoothly!
02-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Hello, have You tried this?
DA* 60-250 F4 : autofocus failure, twice. - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com