Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
comparing 100% magnified live view manual focus to autofocus
AF performance and calibration are red herrings. At issue is whether the lens has a problem, not whether the camera can focus. If the lens is capable of producing sharp images in magnified live view, the issue is not with the lens optics.

BTW...your suggestion of actually using a lens test target is well-made and an excellent idea.

since the cheaper 35mm can't really be expected to replace it just like a Mazda Miata can't replace a Porsche 911.
The comparison is more like a 911 vs. Cayman.

Steve

02-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
At issue is whether the lens has a problem, not whether the camera can focus.
I agree, I guess I was trying to say try many different things and actually make sure the lens can't achieve a sufficiently sharp focus before writing it off. And I just knew someone was going to nitpick my car analogy
02-15-2018, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And I just knew someone was going to nitpick my car analogy
It is tradition

Steve
02-18-2018, 06:35 AM   #34

Original Poster
Thanks again for your valuable advise. Took some first "real world shots" today (with my K-30).
Think it's okay. Developed in Capture One Pro 11/CE4. What would you say? A keeper?

Pentax FA 35mm / F2.0 - Lens Club* ? Pentaxians

Btw. Also ordered a poster for focus testing. So an appropriate 2-D test will follow up.

Last edited by zeitlos; 02-18-2018 at 07:45 AM.
02-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Judging by your images given in your link, your copy appears to be just fine. In some, I can safely determine what you've focused on just by the content of the image. Other's such as the portraitures and statues, it was also obvious. The eye of the little girl is quite sharp, especially for a fast lens wide open- or any lens wide open for that matter. Very impressive.

As you state- this wonderful lens is useful for many purposes. It is indeed versatile. Like its cousin, the FA 31mm Limited, it is of FF design so if you should get a K-1 also at some future date, you will have a whole new experience! This adds enormously to its versatility and variety of scenes in which it can provide outstanding results! I bought mine way back, for use on my film bodies before Pentax made a DSLR. I could leave it on-camera for most of my shots, with its moderate wide-angle FOV. If you use this lens in its FF perspective, you will discover yet a new range of versatility compared with APS-C! An inexpensive way to explore this is to just shoot some film. You can't do this with most DA lenses.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-18-2018 at 01:33 PM.
02-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #36

Original Poster
@mike: My K-1 should be back by Wednesday. So more results coming up.