Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA16-85 sticks a little when zooming...

Just picked up a used 16-85 from B&H and I have to decide whether I'm just not used to WR zooms or if this is defective and I should return while I still can...

I'm a prime shooter. I've owned zooms in the past, but long enough ago that this just feels abnormal to me again.

The lens is great, sharp, fast focusing, looks like it's excellent condition.
The only thing I can say is "wrong" with it is the zoom adjustment sticks a good bit when at the long end.

It's hard to explain, when at 16mm I can smoothly zoom to about 50mm, then it starts to resist a bit. When I zoom from 50mm through to 85mm I can feel the lens struggling. Nothing mechanically, but almost like it's trying to get the last bit of air on a deep breath... Does that make any sense?

If I pop open the left side door panel (shutter, HDMI, power) and then zoom the lens through the full range of motion I can feel air being pushed in and out of the camera.
This also alleviates the zoom sticking a great deal, but not 100%..

Am I just not used to this and it's a totally normal function of a WR lens on a WR body?
I mean, the air has to go somewhere... Maybe it's just a little vacuum pressure I feel when zooming all the way out?

I just want to make sure I'm not alone here and should be considering a return.

Thanks!

02-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've owned a 16-85 for about two and a half years from new. It has always zoomed smoothly through its full range on my K5II.
02-14-2018, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Nothing mechanically, but almost like it's trying to get the last bit of air on a deep breath... Does that make any sense?
It does

If I pop open the left side door panel (shutter, HDMI, power) and then zoom the lens through the full range of motion I can feel air being pushed in and out of the camera.
This also alleviates the zoom sticking a great deal, but not 100%..
I believe you found the explanation.

Am I just not used to this and it's a totally normal function of a WR lens on a WR body?
I mean, the air has to go somewhere... Maybe it's just a little vacuum pressure I feel when zooming all the way out?
Correct, the air has to go somewhere. With both my 60-250 and 16-85, the zoom is stiffer when everything is closed (which is always...)

It's hard to comment without testing your lens, and I wouldn't say my lens is stiffer at the long end, but it's certainly stiff to some extend.

Is it also stiff when not mounded on a camera?

If the images are good, the AF works fine, and it does not prevent you from using the lens, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
02-14-2018, 07:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It does

I believe you found the explanation.

Correct, the air has to go somewhere. With both my 60-250 and 16-85, the zoom is stiffer when everything is closed (which is always...)

It's hard to comment without testing your lens, and I wouldn't say my lens is stiffer at the long end, but it's certainly stiff to some extend.

Is it also stiff when not mounded on a camera?

If the images are good, the AF works fine, and it does not prevent you from using the lens, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Some peace of mind!
Thank you!

I don't recall it being "sticky" off camera, but I'll have to check tonight when I get home.

It's just curious to me as the focusing mechanism on my DFA100WR doesn't have this same sense of resistance. But the mechanism is different, and thus I shouldn't compare apples to oranges.

Thanks again!

The lens is great, I will continue to enjoy it!