Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 06:09 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With your lenses, I'd have the 16-85 on the camera most of the time, but the 100 macro, 300 and TC will come into their own often enough to make them worth the bother. You can stitch a panorama, but you can't always crop enough to replace a good telephoto. Adding the DA15 for starbursts at night is a trivial extra load.

I took a crop kit to Italy last June, and got best mileage from my DA15, DA21, FA31 and DA55-300. The 10-17 fisheye was a boon on rare occasions, and the FA43, DA*55 and FA77 were rarely used, but still produced some of the best images of the trip. Pix HERE if you're interested.

---------- Post added 16-02-18 at 11:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I can't believe how people constantly underrate this lens as a landscape lens. It may not be the best wildlife lens, but it's the best top quality landscape lens that can also be used for wildlife.
I'm still considering buying the DA*60-250 for my Antarctic trip, even though I will be taking the K-1. Like the OP though, I don't think I would have the heart to leave the DA*300 behind, and the DFA100WR with the TC can fill some of the gaps.

02-16-2018, 04:28 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I’m just trying to figure out how you can go to Europe for two weeks with just a carry on bag. I hope you’re not going to be that guy with the bag that’s clearly to big for carry on just to save $25.
I never check bags, it's completely doable.

You're allowed one carry on and one personal item.

Carry-on is a duffel that meets airline specs and personal item is a Thule Covert bag with camera gear and additional clothes/items.

Honestly no worse than those hard sided Rollie bags that never fit in the overhead.
02-16-2018, 07:16 AM   #33

Well, personally I don't leave the house without being able to reach at least 200mm. I don't always use it, but I've never ever felt it to be a waste bringing. I've been to the German and Austrian Alps a couple times but not Switzerland. That said, it's been my experience that the cool/ pretty/ OMG stuff is usually on the face of the mountain you're looking at rather than on. True you can crop from the 100 if that's what you're into.

The only other advice I can offer is (phonetically) "Vo ist dere (there but with a D)...?" Where is the...? Vahsser closet- bathroom. Bahnhof- train station. And lastly, Vas costen dees? How much is this?
Have fun!
02-16-2018, 07:28 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
Well, personally I don't leave the house without being able to reach at least 200mm.
Sometimes I do, but when uncertain, my 70-210, 28-200, or DA*200 provide relatively light weight alternatives, when I don't really expect to use the lens.

02-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it were me, I'd be grabbing my DA 15 for the wide walk-about flair resistance it brings to my kit. I'd bring my 18-135 for it's do-all-ness, which you have in a 16-85. Lastly, I would probably bring my Kiron 28mm f2.0 for normal view versatility and low-light abilities. But that's the optional, nice to have but not a deal breaker kind of addition to the bag, and I'd have a table top or similar tripod-like device in there before the 28.
02-16-2018, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

I am a little late to this party but I happen to have exactly the same lens collection as you have. My only difference is that I have a K-3, not the K-3 II version and I also have the 55-300 PLM. My thoughts are:
For sure bring the 16-85. I am sure that will be your most used lens.
If you will be trekking into the mountains and considering any type of bird or wildlife photography I would bring the DA* 300. Yes, its big and heavy, but it can get what none of your other lenses can get. My only reason (for me) to not take it is having the 55-300 PLM which is a great travel lens. So my recommendations what to bring are:
DA 15 Limited
DA 16-85
DFA 100 Macro
The TC
and the DA* 300 if you know if you will have Telephoto opportunities.
With this set, you have the confidence knowing you are covered for nearly everything. Also I hope you have a good carry on bag. I would hate to have any of this fine equipment thrown around in checked luggage. My Domke Journalist Chronicle easily fits all of this and is easy to carry on.
02-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I am a little late to this party but I happen to have exactly the same lens collection as you have. My only difference is that I have a K-3, not the K-3 II version and I also have the 55-300 PLM. My thoughts are:
For sure bring the 16-85. I am sure that will be your most used lens.
If you will be trekking into the mountains and considering any type of bird or wildlife photography I would bring the DA* 300. Yes, its big and heavy, but it can get what none of your other lenses can get. My only reason (for me) to not take it is having the 55-300 PLM which is a great travel lens. So my recommendations what to bring are:
DA 15 Limited
DA 16-85
DFA 100 Macro
The TC
and the DA* 300 if you know if you will have Telephoto opportunities.
With this set, you have the confidence knowing you are covered for nearly everything. Also I hope you have a good carry on bag. I would hate to have any of this fine equipment thrown around in checked luggage. My Domke Journalist Chronicle easily fits all of this and is easy to carry on.
Thanks, I think this is exactly what I landed on. Just did a trial run in my new backpack and everything fits great with room for water, snacks, rain jacket and small tabletop tripod for long exposures.

Getting amped!

02-16-2018, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Thanks, I think this is exactly what I landed on.
Have a great trip and please....when you get back, let us know what youʻd take differently (or not) based on what you shot.
02-17-2018, 05:05 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
A week ago our plan was to travel Ireland, Italy and Barcelona.
However, that trip has been changed to Switzerland, Italy.

I was going to leave the DA*300 behind, but should Switzerland change that decision?

So far my bag will have:
DA15
16-85
DFA 100mm macro
1.4xTC
K-3ii
misc (batteries, rocket blower, lens cloths, batteries, chargers, mini tripod, etc, etc...)

Leaving home:
DA35macro
DA70
DA*300

We are not checking any luggage so I need to plan a bit.

Has anyone here been to Switzerland and if so, would you feel regret by leaving the DA*300 at home?
Or the DA35 macro/DA70 for that matter?

I figured the 16-85 I just picked up will be my workhorse...

Trip is first 2 weeks of June FYI.

Cheers!
Unfortunately I've never been to Switzerland (a lifelong dream) but if shooting there is anything like shooting in the Rocky Mountains, where I live, I think you would find the DA* 300 very useful. I often find it impossible to get as close to the mountains as I would like and use the 300 on my K-1 surprisingly often. For me, I would miss too many shots if I left it at home. Perhaps it's different in the Alps and there is that size and weight to consider of course. Not an easy decision. One other consideration is the style of mountain landscape photos that you prefer - big panoramas vs smaller, more detailed areas of the terrain where you would need the 300.

Have a wonderful trip. I'm full of envy.
02-17-2018, 06:04 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't imagine traveling without a 300mm & 1.4x.
03-05-2018, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went to Switzerland and Germany a year and a half ago, and I managed pretty well with my K-1 and just the FA 28mm and FA 50mm. Maybe something slightly longer would have been nice in some situations, but I don't feel like I missed out on too much without a telephoto. I think you'll end up using your 16-85mm for 99% of your shots.

The Swiss Alps are amazing, and the mountains are so gigantic and "close" that I ended up shooting a lot of wide angle and panoramas. We didn't really run into any wildlife, unless you count the cows (not really wild) grazing in the mountains. A 300mm might have been nice to get closer to the cows, but I think your 16-85mm would do well enough.

Does the 1.4x work well with the 16-85mm?

Photos from my trip:
Europe 2016 | Flickr