Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ultra wide enthusiast

Hello,
I have a new K-1 and just ordered the Irix 15mm. I want to get more involved with shooting ultra wide. I really enjoy the fl. What would be a normal step wider than 15mm? Irix also makes an 11mm, so if I like the 15mm, I may get the 11mm. Is that a big enough difference to own both? Thank you for your opinions.
Terry

Last edited by TerryL; 02-18-2018 at 10:57 AM.
02-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

At the UWA end of lens characteristics, even a single mm makes a difference. 11 mm is 37% wider than 15 mm.
02-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
At the UWA end of lens characteristics, even a single mm makes a difference.
Definitely - I compared Irix 15mm to 16-85@16mm and the difference was much bigger than I expected.
02-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm guessing that is K-1 not F-1? The F-1 is a bit older...........

As @photoptimist says at the wide end even a single mm makes a difference. However, if you do have the K-1, 15mm is going to be very, very wide already. You may indeed eventually want to go wider and the 11mm Irix might be a good choice. But I strongly suggest you get the 15mm and work with it for awhile before buying yet another lens. You might find 15mm is wide enough.

My widest FF lens is the FA 20-35 and have never seen a need for anything wider. But that is my style. YMMV

02-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

11mm is insanely wide, so I would consider it more of a specialty lens (i.e. for interiors, real estate, so on). Are you finding the 15mm to be insufficiently wide for your current type of shooting?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-18-2018, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The trouble with ultra wide lenses for interiors and real estate usage is that although the interior is captured from wall to wall, the effect is to vastly exaggerate the size of the room/building. I know plenty of folk who have been disappointed when viewing a house after seeing online photos which bear no reality to how the room looks in real life.
02-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those of us who shot on 35mm SLRs likely remember 24mm as being very wide without curvature Or distortion. On ApS-C of course the results are different. My 17mm Takumar has an FE look on a K-1, but is almost perfect as a UWA on my K-5.

I have a hard time imagining how the 15mm will do on a FF camera, I look forward to seeing the results.

02-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
11mm is insanely wide, so I would consider it more of a specialty lens (i.e. for interiors, real estate, so on). Are you finding the 15mm to be insufficiently wide for your current type of shooting?
Hi Adam,
When I had the Pentax 15-30, it stayed on 15mm, and at times I wished it was wider. My Irix 15 so I will have plenty of time to shoot with it. I guess that will answer my question.
Terry

---------- Post added 02-18-18 at 11:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The trouble with ultra wide lenses for interiors and real estate usage is that although the interior is captured from wall to wall, the effect is to vastly exaggerate the size of the room/building. I know plenty of folk who have been disappointed when viewing a house after seeing online photos which bear no reality to how the room looks in real life.
Hi Peter,
As alway, I appreciate your input. Have a great day.
Terry

---------- Post added 02-18-18 at 11:14 AM ----------

Rob,
15mm is beautiful on FF. BTW, I grew up in Roanoke, VA. Sound familiar? Will definitely let you know how it goes.
Terry

---------- Post added 02-18-18 at 11:18 AM ----------

Peter,
Thank you for the link. I love the 11mm on FF.
Terry
02-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I live about 1.5 hours from Roanoke, and my son goes to Tech just down the road, no end of beautiful sites to see and capture.
02-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I hear a lot of pro real estate guys shoot with tilt shift lenses, starting with 24mm and lower. Allows to keep the proportion more realistic and still get the whole room in one shot. However, UWAs are certainly just fine for interiors.

11mm is a fun for imo, I've tried the Canon 11-24, and my friend has the 11mm irix. He likes it quite a lot, could be tricky to compose the frame with those though.
02-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Peter,
Thank you for the link. I love the 11mm on FF.
Terry
Terry, that link was created automatically by the forum, not by me. I think it is a link to aps-c lenses, so check it out carefully.

---------- Post added 02-18-18 at 08:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
However, UWAs are certainly just fine for interiors
i love ultra wide lenses, and agree they can be great for artistic expression, interiors included. But when used in a professional real estate environment, and they make a medium sized room look like a baronial mansion, that is just plain wrong. In my opinion the wrong tool has been chosen for the task in hand.
02-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Terry, that link was created automatically by the forum, not by me. I think it is a link to aps-c lenses, so check it out carefully.

---------- Post added 02-18-18 at 08:49 PM ----------

i love ultra wide lenses, and agree they can be great for artistic expression, interiors included. But when used in a professional real estate environment, and they make a medium sized room look like a baronial mansion, that is just plain wrong. In my opinion the wrong tool has been chosen for the task in hand.
Peter,
I'm certainly not going to use them for real estate. Rather, agriculture and landscape.
Terry
02-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's the Laowa 12mm F2.8 if the 15-30 isn't wide enough. But I haven't seen any photos or reviews of that yet.
02-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
There's the Laowa 12mm F2.8 if the 15-30 isn't wide enough. But I haven't seen any photos or reviews of that yet.
Venus Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Review
02-19-2018, 03:59 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The forthcoming Pentax zoom lens of 11-18mm f/2.8 may very well be a large, heavy lens also. The DA 12-24mm f/4 is a very fine WA zoom lens, and not all that heavy. It takes a 77mm filter size, but is only about 3.5 " long and weighs just under 1lb.