Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2018, 04:22 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As others have said, 15mm on full frame is very wide. I can't envisage wanting a wider rectilinear lens.
Beyond that I have the Samyang 12/2.8 Fisheye. That'll do.

02-19-2018, 05:55 AM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA 12-24 gave me a taste of an UWA on APS-C. It is barely wide enough for some real estate pics, so I can understand the desire for something wider, but if 15mm on a FF doesn't fit the bill, I don't know what will without a great deal of distortion. Indeed, the wider the FL the greater the unnatural space exaggeration with how big each photographed room would be.
02-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I have the Irix Blackstone 11mm and 15mm on the way. Reviews claim that distortion is well controlled on both. These lenses are just for fun and I'm quite excited to get them. Regards.
Terry
02-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The forthcoming Pentax zoom lens of 11-18mm f/2.8 may very well be a large, heavy lens also. The DA 12-24mm f/4 is a very fine WA zoom lens, and not all that heavy. It takes a 77mm filter size, but is only about 3.5 " long and weighs just under 1lb.
I had no idea that was coming out. That would be perfect. Thank you.
Terry

---------- Post added 02-19-18 at 09:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The DA 12-24 gave me a taste of an UWA on APS-C. It is barely wide enough for some real estate pics, so I can understand the desire for something wider, but if 15mm on a FF doesn't fit the bill, I don't know what will without a great deal of distortion. Indeed, the wider the FL the greater the unnatural space exaggeration with how big each photographed room would be.
Hi Ash,
I ordered both the Irix 11mm and 15mm Blackstone lenses. They should be a lot of fun to use. Photography is just a hobby for me, anyway. I'm a bit of a "gear head" when it comes to glass.
Terry

02-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #20
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The forthcoming Pentax zoom lens of 11-18mm f/2.8 may very well be a large, heavy lens also. The DA 12-24mm f/4 is a very fine WA zoom lens, and not all that heavy. It takes a 77mm filter size, but is only about 3.5 " long and weighs just under 1lb.
Note that the 11-18mm f2.8 is for APS-C, not FF. It is unknown how usable it would be on FF.
02-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Terry, that link was created automatically by the forum, not by me. I think it is a link to aps-c lenses, so check it out carefully.

---------- Post added 02-18-18 at 08:49 PM ----------

i love ultra wide lenses, and agree they can be great for artistic expression, interiors included. But when used in a professional real estate environment, and they make a medium sized room look like a baronial mansion, that is just plain wrong. In my opinion the wrong tool has been chosen for the task in hand.
It all depends on what client wants though. If he wants it to look more spacious than it is, it's not really our place to refuse their wishes imo) I do agree it doesn't feel quite right, like deception. That's why I think higher tier pros use tilt shift lenses, they can stitch vertical pics into highly corrected panoramas with proper proportions. I really wanted to try it, if I see the Samyang 24ts somewhere much cheaper than market price I might pick it up.
02-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Right, Like the DA 12-24mm f/4, the coming Pentax 11-18mm f/2.8 is for crop mode. It is the APS-C answer to the FF D-FA 15-30mm, but shouldn't be quite as large.

As far as the problems of distorting reality, which is unavoidable with ultra-wide lenses, the best solution is using a moderate FL lens taking several images and stitching them together in a pano. The results can be natural perspective, low distortion, and huge resolution.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-20-2018 at 11:03 AM.
02-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Right, Like the DA 12-24mm f/4, the coming Pentax 11-18mm f/2.8 is for crop mode. It is the APS-C answer to the FF D-FA 15-30mm, but shouldn't be quite as large.

As far as the problems of distorting reality, which is unavoidable with ultra-wide lenses, the best solution is using a moderate FL lens taking several images and stitching them together in a pano. The results can be natural perspective, low distortion, and huge resolution.
The Pentax 15-30 handles 15mm very well. I hope my new Irix 15mm does as well. Now, as far as the Irix 11mm I got with it, I know that it will be a challenge to use, but I'm looking forward to learning.
Terry
02-20-2018, 06:39 PM - 5 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
12mm is fine, so is 14mm, just need to find the suitable composition to use it.
So personally, I'd say get the 12mm or 11mm and the pictures will just be composed around it.

These are taken with a Voigtlander 12mm (m mount lens on A7)

Samyang 14mm on K1