Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 02:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What lens for film camera with weather sealing ?

Hi there,

This question is strange to ask, but afaik the LX has some weather sealing on it, but I don't see any Pentax film lens has this capacity, so why bother Pentax made such a camera ??
I've got a Super Program and it does not work properly with model DA lenses, it can't control the aperture, I believe the LX the same, but I no longer have the LX so can't test it. So if I want a lens to work with both film and digital with weather sealing is impossible, the reason for this is to save cost. I believe Nikon/Canon top of the line film cameras are also weather sealed, but they have a lot more of lenses to use, Pentax is quite limited even 3rd party ones.

02-21-2018, 02:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The LX is weather sealed but I would not rely on my copy still being weather- sealed after over 30 years of use !

The weather sealing was never in respect of the lens mount on the LX
02-21-2018, 02:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The LX definitely will not work with DA or DFA series lenses. You need to fast forward to the PZ-1 or thereabouts to get that capability.

The LX is from an era where electrical contact between lens and camera wasn't an issue. I suppose as long as the camera's electronics were sealed a bit of moisture getting into the mirror box probably wasn't much of a problem.

As such, any M series lens (or older) should be fine.
02-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The LX definitely will not work with DA or DFA series lenses. You need to fast forward to the PZ-1 or thereabouts to get that capability.
The only D FA lenses that would autofocus on the PZ-1 are the 50 macro and the 100 macros. SDM is only supported on DSLRs (other than the *ist series, K100D & K110D). The D FAs would work fine, without autofocus, on any KA mount camera from the Super Program on.

02-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The LX is from an era where electrical contact between lens and camera wasn't an issue. I suppose as long as the camera's electronics were sealed a bit of moisture getting into the mirror box probably wasn't much of a problem.

As such, any M series lens (or older) should be fine.
The older DFA 100 (NON-WR) has an aperture ring and should work in manual focus, as would the DFA 50 macro. I can't think of any others that would have an aperture ring.
02-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I've got a Super Program and it does not work properly with model DA lenses, it can't control the aperture, I believe the LX the same, but I no longer have the LX so can't test it.
My Super Program is quite capable of driving the aperture on DA lenses in both P and Tv modes. The LX requires an aperture ring. All Pentax-A and newer lenses having aperture rings are compatible with both the LX and Super Program as well as Pentax dSLRs. Problem solved.

I believe Nikon/Canon top of the line film cameras are also weather sealed, but they have a lot more of lenses to use, Pentax is quite limited even 3rd party ones.
No Canon manual focus body is compatible with current Canon lenses. Nikon lenses with aperture rings are broadly compatible with legacy bodies (same as Pentax); those without aperture rings are limited in the same manner as Pentax.

So what does any of this have to do with seals?

Steve
02-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This question is strange to ask, but afaik the LX has some weather sealing on it, but I don't see any Pentax film lens has this capacity, so why bother Pentax made such a camera ??
To elaborate on what was already mentioned, having weather sealing on the LX itself is better than having none at all. But avoid getting water around the lens mount, even if you are using a WR lens, as there will not be sealing where it connects to the camera. The WR digital Pentax cameras have the silver mount on the camera extending out further than on the film cameras, and the O-ring on the lens seals flush against this when the lens is mounted. On the LX and other film cameras, it seems that the mount plate stops about where the O-ring starts; there may be *some* possible WR advantage at the mount when using these lenses on the LX, but not the capability that was intended with the later WR features.
02-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should say Super A instead,
but it is same as the Super Program. P and Tv on Super Program is new to me, mine only got Auto, Manual, X and B, and does not control the aperture of my 55-300 DA.
I don't know if Canon/Nikon top of the line MF lenses are weather seal or not coz I do not use them, it was just a logical guess they are sealed. Why compare Canon FD with EOS/EF ? I have no idea if any FD lenses are weather sealed, I said I believe top of the line film bodies are sealed, so there should be sealed lenses to go with them.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My Super Program is quite capable of driving the aperture on DA lenses in both P and Tv modes. The LX requires an aperture ring. All Pentax-A and newer lenses having aperture rings are compatible with both the LX and Super Program as well as Pentax dSLRs. Problem solved.

No Canon manual focus body is compatible with current Canon lenses. Nikon lenses with aperture rings are broadly compatible with legacy bodies (same as Pentax); those without aperture rings are limited in the same manner as Pentax.

So what does any of this have to do with seals?

Steve

02-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The older DFA 100 (NON-WR) has an aperture ring and should work in manual focus, as would the DFA 50 macro. I can't think of any others that would have an aperture ring.
Sure, I forgot about those two older DFA exceptions. But as we are talking about weather resistance, they don't really count
02-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

P and Tv on Super Program is new to me, mine only got Auto, Manual, X and B, and does not control the aperture of my 55-300 DA.
P = A on lens + Auto on body
Tv = A on lens + M on body

IIRC, the 55-300 does may not cover the 24x36 frame on the Super A, but the aperture should still work in auto mode, unless it is the most recent PLM RE version where there is no external aperture coupling.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-21-2018 at 02:16 PM.
02-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure, I forgot about those two older DFA exceptions. But as we are talking about weather resistance, they don't really count
Agreed...
02-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's interesting, my lens is the old HD version, I stop down the lens but don't see any difference in the viewfinder while changing shutter speed in M mode, but it is very obvious on the K3, haven't tried with film yet so can't tell, but that's very useful info to me thanks for the tip. Btw the vignetting on this lens on the Super A is mininal, although I've no intention to use it on film camera in the first place, it is worth to try.
P = A on lens + Auto on body&lt;br /&gt;<br />
Tv = A on lens + M on body&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
IIRC, the 55-300 does may not cover the 24x36 frame on the Super A, but the aperture should still work in auto mode, unless it is the most recent PLM RE version where there is no external aperture coupling.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
Steve

Last edited by lotech; 02-21-2018 at 09:00 PM.
02-21-2018, 09:15 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

my lens is the old HD version, I stop down the lens but don't see any difference in the viewfinder while changing shutter speed in M mode
Do you have the manual for the Super A? It has the expected behaviors for all modes. You are interested in "Program AE" and "Shutter-priority AE" modes. In shutter-priority, the f-number should vary with shutter speed within the limits of the meter sensitivity. If you don't see the f-number in the display when using a lens with no aperture ring, the "A" contact on the body mount face may need to be cleaned. The "A" contact is slightly indented. My Super Program did that once and cleaning the "A" contact put things in order.

The manual may be downloaded for free from the page linked below:

Pentax Manuals

Steve
02-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see the f no.
changing on the LCD while changing shutter speed, it is just not obvious to the eyes when stop down preview.
I believe I can save some cost investing lenses specially for this camera now !
Do you have the manual for the Super A? It has the expected behaviors for all modes. You are interested in "Program AE" and "Shutter-priority AE" modes. In shutter-priority, the f-number should vary with shutter speed within the limits of the meter sensitivity. If you don't see the f-number in the display when using a lens with no aperture ring, the "A" contact on the body mount face may need to be cleaned. The "A" contact is slightly indented. My Super Program did that once and cleaning the "A" contact put things in order.

The manual may be downloaded for free from the page linked below:

Pentax Manuals

Steve
02-22-2018, 12:21 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

it is just not obvious to the eyes when stop down preview.
Stop-down preview on your Super A cannot be used in Program AE or Shutter-priority AE modes. In those modes it will stop the lens fully down (should be very dark) regardless of what f-number is displayed in the viewfinder. This is in the manual (page 50), but is not particularly clear.

Edit: To clarify a bit, DOF preview on the Super A only works when using the aperture ring to set the aperture.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-22-2018 at 09:31 AM.