Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wide angle option around 15mm for FF

I see there have been 3 additions to the lens database about the Irix 15mm, but I was wondering if there are any more options out there ...?

The 15-30 is overkill and heavy, so I'm looking at the Irix (Blackstone or Firefly. Any options ?). I wish some modern wide angle primes were on the roadmap ... but, hey, they aren't, so I'm looking 3rd party. I've never bought a 3rd party lens, so it will be a first ...

I've little experience with super wide angles, having only had the occasional 'need' for one. Now I'm minded to try and learn to use one. The Irix seems a good quality lens that will not totally break the bank and will give me a better interiors option when I need and a play thing to experiment with ...

Many thanks ...

02-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Samyang 14mm F2.8. But I think the Irix is sharper. We'll have a review going live soon!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Irix 15mm is fine lens. I have Blackstone, and it has only two flaws: no AF (I knew it), and fluorescent markings need UV to glow (I didn't know it). All in all, this is very interesting and relatively cheap option for anyone looking for UWA lens.
02-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f2.8 that Adam mentioned is good. I use it less often after buying the 15-30 for versatility and WR.

There's also the Tamron 10-24. It's usable on FF in the 15-24 zoom range. 10-14 has too much vignetting. The 10-24 takes normal screw-on filters. Image quality is acceptable but not as good as the 15-30.

I recommend reading this post of mine for more info. I tested 4 different lenses around 15mm with my K-1. 15 mm f/4 limited - PentaxForums.com

02-21-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a couple of Venus Laowa options, including this one: Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro Lens for Pentax K VE1540P B&H

They also have an 12mm option and Irix an 11mm option, there's some examples of these ultra-wides here in the forum ULTRA wide lenses (only FF equiv 12mm or lower) - PentaxForums.com These are wider than the 15mm you're looking for but I included them to let you know they're out there.

Tas
02-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
Irix 15mm is fine lens. I have Blackstone, and it has only two flaws: no AF (I knew it), and fluorescent markings need UV to glow (I didn't know it). All in all, this is very interesting and relatively cheap option for anyone looking for UWA lens.
Hi Pentageek,
Could you explain what you mean in your second flaw? I ordered the Irix 11mm and 15mm Blackstone, and they arrived today. Sure glad I got the Blackstone versions. They are gorgeous! Also, should I put UV filters on them? Thank you.
Terry
02-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sure, I can explain 'the flaw'. Blackstone has got markings (for instance distance scale) which are supposed to glow in the dark. The tricky part is how to make it work You may remember old wristwatches which were glowing in the dark - all they needed was few minutes in the light, flashlight was sufficient. Blackstone has got something similar, but UV light (instead of regular flashlight) is needed, and artificial sources of UV are not common. Of course this is nitpicking, and lens, as you wrote, was gorgeous. As per UV filters, there's endless debate whether to use them or not I personally put filters on every lens, just for comfort of cleaning - in case of 15mm I have put Irix Edge UV on it. 11mm, as far as I know does not accept filters.

02-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Sure, I can explain 'the flaw'. Blackstone has got markings (for instance distance scale) which are supposed to glow in the dark. The tricky part is how to make it work You may remember old wristwatches which were glowing in the dark - all they needed was few minutes in the light, flashlight was sufficient. Blackstone has got something similar, but UV light (instead of regular flashlight) is needed, and artificial sources of UV are not common. Of course this is nitpicking, and lens, as you wrote, was gorgeous. As per UV filters, there's endless debate whether to use them or not I personally put filters on every lens, just for comfort of cleaning - in case of 15mm I have put Irix Edge UV on it. 11mm, as far as I know does not accept filters.
Thank you very much. Just looked at my 11mm, and you are correct. It doesn't take a filter.
Terry
02-22-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I would like to have a Pentax 15mm prime for my full frame K-1. I've got the 28-105, nifty lens but I want super wide and I have my Pentax 12-24...excellent lens, but usable on the FF from 18mm to 24.
02-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

11mm, as far as I know does not accept filters.
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Just looked at my 11mm, and you are correct. It doesn't take a filter.
G'day Guys,

My apologies for butting into your conversation but I wanted to clarify a few things regarding filters on the Irix 11mm.

Firstly, to consider a screw in filter thread on the front not being useful due to the shape of the front lens element is correct, there's no option there to adopt a previously common practice of adding a UV or similar cheaper filter to reduce the amount of cleaning the front lens element will need. Having agreed with this though, I need to point out that there are filter options for the Irix 11mm.

Check out the Irix webpage, they have a gelatin filter mount near the rear lens element on the 11mm. So certain types of filters can be added to the Irix 11mm, an example of one set is here: Aurora-Aperture PowerND IR Filter Kit for Select Irix PND-IR-KIT

Secondly, there's large filter mounting systems that have become more common of late due to the Nikon 14-24, Samyang 14mm and the Tamron/Pentax 15-30 among other lenses. These ultra wide lenses use a 150mm or 180mm square filter bracket attached to a mount that's secured to the body of the lens. An example for the Irix 11mm can be found here: NiSi 180mm Filter Holder For Irix 11mm f/4 - NiSi Filters Australia (NOTE: Oz site with Oz prices)

So yes it is correct that the normal screw in filters can't be used, however filter options are there for the Irix 11mm. However, the biggest drawback to the 180mm filter system will be price, and whilst I hear that the Nisi filters are good quality I've no experience with them and I suggest you be sitting down before you look at the prices. So far they seem to have the only option out there as when looking at the other filter makers with 150mm systems (Lee, Haida, Fotodiox) none identified a mounting bracket for the Irix 11mm.

On one of the other issues raised about the Irix, that being the markings not glowing in a manner that's completely useful I'd just like to remind you that the K-1 is the only camera that has external lights to help with night shooting, one of which is just above the lens mount, so that's got to be kinda useful right?

Hooroo, hope the above info was of use.

Tas
02-22-2018, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I'd just like to remind you that the K-1 is the only camera that has external lights to help with night shooting
You are absolutely right - my point was that UV light is required to make markings glow (alas, K-1 lights do not generate UV. However, as I said, it was really a nitpicking, and it does not change the fact that I am still amazed with corner-to-corner sharpness of the lens. 11mm of course accepts filters, with exception of screw-in type. Again, you are absolutely right when suggesting us to be sitting down before looking at prices of Nisi 180mm and other similar systems.
02-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sitting down before looking at prices of Nisi 180mm and other similar systems
I thought I better add that in, the price has meant I've not jumped on a 150mm system for my 15-30. I'd really like to get a filter system for it someday but wow the prices are a bit too scary for me.
02-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I see there have been 3 additions to the lens database about the Irix 15mm, but I was wondering if there are any more options out there ...?

The 15-30 is overkill and heavy, so I'm looking at the Irix (Blackstone or Firefly. Any options ?). I wish some modern wide angle primes were on the roadmap ... but, hey, they aren't, so I'm looking 3rd party. I've never bought a 3rd party lens, so it will be a first ...

I've little experience with super wide angles, having only had the occasional 'need' for one. Now I'm minded to try and learn to use one. The Irix seems a good quality lens that will not totally break the bank and will give me a better interiors option when I need and a play thing to experiment with ...

Many thanks ...
Barry
I really think you should seriously consider the Irix 15mm. I have the 11mm and 15mm Blackstone. I just took my 11mm outside while it wasn't raining, and shot a few test shots. It is sharp and the colors are good. Very hand holdable. There's going to be a learning curve to use it properly, but I am very happy to have it.
Terry
02-24-2018, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
G'day Guys,

My apologies for butting into your conversation but I wanted to clarify a few things regarding filters on the Irix 11mm.

Firstly, to consider a screw in filter thread on the front not being useful due to the shape of the front lens element is correct, there's no option there to adopt a previously common practice of adding a UV or similar cheaper filter to reduce the amount of cleaning the front lens element will need. Having agreed with this though, I need to point out that there are filter options for the Irix 11mm.

Check out the Irix webpage, they have a gelatin filter mount near the rear lens element on the 11mm. So certain types of filters can be added to the Irix 11mm, an example of one set is here: Aurora-Aperture PowerND IR Filter Kit for Select Irix PND-IR-KIT

Secondly, there's large filter mounting systems that have become more common of late due to the Nikon 14-24, Samyang 14mm and the Tamron/Pentax 15-30 among other lenses. These ultra wide lenses use a 150mm or 180mm square filter bracket attached to a mount that's secured to the body of the lens. An example for the Irix 11mm can be found here: NiSi 180mm Filter Holder For Irix 11mm f/4 - NiSi Filters Australia (NOTE: Oz site with Oz prices)

So yes it is correct that the normal screw in filters can't be used, however filter options are there for the Irix 11mm. However, the biggest drawback to the 180mm filter system will be price, and whilst I hear that the Nisi filters are good quality I've no experience with them and I suggest you be sitting down before you look at the prices. So far they seem to have the only option out there as when looking at the other filter makers with 150mm systems (Lee, Haida, Fotodiox) none identified a mounting bracket for the Irix 11mm.

On one of the other issues raised about the Irix, that being the markings not glowing in a manner that's completely useful I'd just like to remind you that the K-1 is the only camera that has external lights to help with night shooting, one of which is just above the lens mount, so that's got to be kinda useful right?

Hooroo, hope the above info was of use.

Tas
Tas,
I have the Irix 11mm and 15mm. I ordered Irix's front filter and the gel filters for the rear holder. I really want the front filter attachment for my 11mm, but look at the price! I love the lenses, though.
Terry
02-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The auto focus indicator works great. Takes away most of the inconvenience of manual focus.
Terry